Butthurt

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Ten days ago I was surfing small waves and as I reached the shore pound I realized this little f-ker was going to pound pretty hard onto the sand so I ejected out the back. Somehow the board (a 9-3) bounced up and the rail hit me in the ass... hard.
I could barely walk but I waited, walked it off, and continued to surf.

As the day wore on it hurt more and more and more and by evening I looked like the Kardashians half brother- my left butt cheek was totally swollen. It stuck out about two inches further than the right one and it hurt to sit down. It looked pretty funny andI was gong to take photos and post them on Facebook but was advised against it.

On July 4th the waves looked kind of fun and I couldn't resist. Afterwards it seemed I was back to the day one- butt cheek swollen back to Kardashian size and pain, lots of pain. I had to do contortions getting in and out of a car, especially if I was the passenger. In and out of bed was another occasion of acrobatics. I've had to sleep on my side for ten days.

In the last two days, the swelling has gone down but now my butt is turning black and red. And now there is a hard lump in there. It is still painful.

Ten days seems a long time for a bruise. Should I be concerned? Or is this normal?

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
GromsDad said:
Go to doctor. Had a coworker nearly die from a bruise. Flesh died from the inside out.......turned into infection.
Autoimmune trauma.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

GromsDad said:
Go to doctor. Had a coworker nearly die from a bruise. Flesh died from the inside out.......turned into infection.

Really?

My sister was saying that a friend had a clot move from a bruise to another part of the body requiring hospitalization.

I went surfing today and again feel like I'm back on day one. It hurts to sit down. I have to contort and sit on one butt cheek.

The impact was right on the butt cheek but the bruising is now showing on the side of my hip and my hip joint area is tender. My hip was not involved in the impact at all.

Fuck, I'm going to up the coast tomorrow- Big Sur, SF, Mendocino, Humboldt. I was hoping to surf a lot.

Yesterday I tried to go for a run and did bout ten yards and realized I could not run.

Now I'm worried.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Probably less scary than posts above would suggest.

Try this link for advice from the land of good hockey hits where similar sounding injuries happen:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/16817-buttock-contusion

Please note, I am not a doctor.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ve had this. Snowboarding crash (air to ass cheek). My entire left butt cheek swelled up, turn red, then purple, then black.

I went to an “alternative medicine” dude that was banging my sister and he had a tool that was basically a spiked wheel and he rolled it all over the contusion poking a bunch of little holes in the top layer of skin and a bunch of blood seeped out.

Huge relief.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Patrolman sounds like a hematoma to me. Large quantities of blood can accumulate in the soft tissues from a hard hit like that. A licensed and experienced physician needs to examine that injury. And Duffy I have to say that whole story from snowboarding to multi-color tush to "alt med" to dude satisfying your sis is entertaining!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Three weeks and two days later. I don't understand why the bruise appeared on my hip and seemed to move down my leg when the impact and swelling was on my butt cheek. The hip and leg are a bit tender to the touch but nothing like the pain that was in my butt.

Made appt this AM for the MD...next Monday.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Gravity indeed and soft tissue compartments. It's really cool when bad ankle bruises end up with a green and blue line between the dorsal and plantar surface of the foot when the blood collects by gravity.