BUT IT'S ONLY COMING FROM FRINGE GROUPS ON THE INTERNET!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Who do you think is being left out? Be honest with yourself now

As to your last paragraph, you're either ignoring or just not familiar with what's been going on with progressives in the last decade
I worked for UC Santa Cruz in the last decade. You're wrong. Flat out wrong.

I asked you who is being left out? Do you have a draft text showing that someone is being left out? Can you show me who it is being proposed SHOULD BE left out?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Mainstream on Twitter =/= mainstream in the general population.

Twitter is a tiny, vocal, shrill, sanctimonious, self-righteous subset of America that unfortunately wields great influence at the moment.

Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Twitter is a tiny, vocal, shrill, sanctimonious, self-righteous subset of America that unfortunately wields great influence at the moment.
It's a valid point. I don't have a Twitter account. Or an Instagram account. And I rarely go on Facebook. I can't imagine I'm alone in this.

Now get the living fucking hell of my lawn.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Agreed. The problem becomes when the general population has to alter their behavior and opinions in fear of the fringe on twitter. Or even worse, when it works its way into public policy. In many states, a minor can ask for hormone therapy, and if a doctor or psychiatrist even questions it, they can face disbarment for engaging in "conversion therapy".

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
This is a really interesting interview with Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter. Very much worth a listen whether you use Twitter or not (I don't). Twitter is very actively trying to help form your opinions. It's trying to open your mind.

Top 3 languages on Twitter: English, Spanish, Mandarin.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
This is a really interesting interview with Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter. Very much worth a listen whether you use Twitter or not (I don't). Twitter is very actively trying to help form your opinions. It's trying to open your mind.

"Twitter is very actively trying to help form your opinions. It's trying to open your mind."

Those two seem diametrically opposed to me

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Like I said, there's simply not enough time to ever teach history properly.

But even in your day, school history was much more than worshipping the accomplishments of rich white folks. Anyone who thinks that's what history was or is simply doesn't have a good grasp of history

I don't know about you, but in my early education progressivism wasn't highlighted, but worshipped, and it's only gotten worse

What you're touching on is the debate on the "Great Man" theory of history. It's obviously helpful to know how the common man lived, but completely abandoning the stories of the achievements of the movers and shakers in order to focus on the black trans community in 15th century London is even more harmful
Nah, history in K-12 is very much an indoctrination into a particular set of values. It would be better to show that no one has a monopoly on what it means to be human, to have struggles and to overcome.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

That means it's a publisher, not a platform

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
That means it's a publisher, not a platform
I agree it's a publisher but not for that reason. If it's using algorithms to provide content at all it's a publisher.

"Twitter is very actively trying to help form your opinions. It's trying to open your mind."

Those two seem diametrically opposed to me
Not form any one opinion, just your opinions, show you different sides, not just one side. Not diametrically opposed ideas.

History has nothing to do with values, it is the study of the past
Values are what determines what is studied/taught as history.

Last edited:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
"Curating" diverse ideas out of the mix is the exact opposite of "show you different sides".

You do that when you don't trust people to make their own choices. Or more directly, when you oppose the choices some people make as a result of having access to the ideas you don't like. That's also diametrically opposed to people-power.

The authoritarians "win" their elections by actively suppressing their rivals. The parallels between that mode of control and censorship are about as direct as it gets.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
More ideas = more diversity of thought. Fewer ideas = less diversity of thought.

The conduct elements of the terms of service are supposed to be oriented toward personal conduct toward one another, not about dictating which side of the discussion is permissible.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
"Curating" diverse ideas out of the mix is the exact opposite of "show you different sides".

You do that when you don't trust people to make their own choices. Or more directly, when you oppose the choices some people make as a result of having access to the ideas you don't like. That's also diametrically opposed to people-power.

The authoritarians "win" their elections by actively suppressing their rivals. The parallels between that mode of control and censorship are about as direct as it gets.
If we're talking about Twitter, an algorithm is already curating what you see, you already aren't "choosing," Twitter is choosing for you. Twitter is talking about changing the algorithm.

One interesting one is that it will tell you if you post a link to an article that you yourself haven't clicked through to, with a pop-up like

"Are you sure you wanna do that? It appears you haven't read the very article you are about to post to your feed."

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Using a person's search history to direct them to more of the same is exactly the opposite of deleting or diverting away from that "more of the same".

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I agree it's a publisher but not for that reason. If it's using algorithms to provide content at all it's a publisher.

Not form any one opinion, just your opinions, show you different sides, not just one side. Not diametrically opposed ideas.

Values are what determines what is studied/taught as history.
1. I’ll agree
2. Absolutely not, Twitter favors a particular side. They have decided what they agree with it right
3. Not at all, History is a study of the past. Injecting today’s values into it, or ignoring some things in favor of other things is ahistorical. This is why primary education has failed Americans for decades