BUT IT'S ONLY COMING FROM FRINGE GROUPS ON THE INTERNET!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Did you read the article?

Also, just because Texans are doing something retarded doesn’t mean Illinois should do something more retarded
Yeah, the byline for the press release is also misleading, and that's on them. Here's from the body of the press release:

Concerned that current school history teaching leads to white privilege and a racist society, state Rep. La Shawn K. Ford, D-Chicago, will join local leaders today at noon at the Robert Crown Center in Evanston to call on the state to stop its current history teaching practices until appropriate alternatives are developed.

Doesn't say abolish history classes or the teaching of history, only stopping history classes as they are now. Are you seeing something I'm not or are we interpreting the text differently?

Never a better time to start showing up at PTA meetings.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The politics of it all notwithstanding, the crowdsourcing aspects of the internet will ensure that the people always have access to multiple perspectives. Even moreso with the onset of distance learning over live attendance at the daytime incarceration facilities.

The days of dictating to the public what to think are over.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, the byline for the press release is also misleading, and that's on them. Here's from the body of the press release:

Concerned that current school history teaching leads to white privilege and a racist society, state Rep. La Shawn K. Ford, D-Chicago, will join local leaders today at noon at the Robert Crown Center in Evanston to call on the state to stop its current history teaching practices until appropriate alternatives are developed.

Doesn't say abolish history classes or the teaching of history, only stopping history classes as they are now. Are you seeing something I'm not or are we interpreting the text differently?

Never a better time to start showing up at PTA meetings.
Expect it literally does say it is going to abolish history classes and the teaching of history

stop its current history teaching practices until appropriate alternatives are developed.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Expect it literally does say it is going to abolish history classes and the teaching of history

stop its current history teaching practices until appropriate alternatives are developed.
Right, see, and I took that to mean stop its current practices, not stop altogether. "Appropriate alternatives" is a bit vague. I don't take that to mean alternatives to history, but rather, alternative to history as it's taught now (current practices).

So we are interpreting the phrase differently.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Who gets to vet history 2.0?

And how long will it take while they circle jerk it to death to their approval?

Last edited:

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
More complete by leaving out everything except for the contributions of people who were marginalized at the time? Maybe painting the whole narrative as nothing more than struggle of marginalized people against white males?

GTFO
...as opposed solely to worshipping the accomplishments of rich white folks.

White males were in charge for the worst of it. Haha, it doesn't have to be limited to political history, but highlighting progressivism couldn't hurt. I would bet there is much history about how the marginalized bore up under oppression as well as much about the details of that oppression--employment, housing, education, voting. There could be several chapters on U.S. of American musical styles: Gospel, Spirituals, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, R&B, Soul, Motown, Disco, Funk, Rock, Rap, Hip hop, Salsa, Tejano, Cajun, Raggaeton, Nuyorican...

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Hey, I have no problem widely expanding history taught in schools to be more inclusive.

There's little to none being taught now as it is.

As long as they use it to replace all the BS/PC ethic/ethnic/gender/AGW theory studies instead.

Only so many hours in a school day/week/year for most important stuff like reading, writing, arithmetic and STEM.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
...as opposed solely to worshipping the accomplishments of rich white folks.

White males were in charge for the worst of it. Haha, it doesn't have to be limited to political history, but highlighting progressivism couldn't hurt. I would bet there is much history about how the marginalized bore up under oppression as well as much about the details of that oppression--employment, housing, education, voting. There could be several chapters on U.S. of American musical styles: Gospel, Spirituals, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, R&B, Soul, Motown, Disco, Funk, Rock, Rap, Hip hop, Salsa, Tejano, Cajun, Raggaeton, Nuyorican...
Like I said, there's simply not enough time to ever teach history properly.

But even in your day, school history was much more than worshipping the accomplishments of rich white folks. Anyone who thinks that's what history was or is simply doesn't have a good grasp of history

I don't know about you, but in my early education progressivism wasn't highlighted, but worshipped, and it's only gotten worse

What you're touching on is the debate on the "Great Man" theory of history. It's obviously helpful to know how the common man lived, but completely abandoning the stories of the achievements of the movers and shakers in order to focus on the black trans community in 15th century London is even more harmful

Reactions: Chocki

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I think the idea is that the committee that does the vetting is more inclusive than it had been previously.
Is it really more inclusive if the "diversity" of the community leaves out certain segments of the population?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Singing and dancing around the fire has definitely benefited mankind, but not as much as building roads and bridges and dams and spreading productivity around the world.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Is it really more inclusive if the "diversity" of the community leaves out certain segments of the population?
Who's being left out? Do you have a draft of the text?

Like I said, there's simply not enough time to ever teach history properly.
That's a convenient stance to take. So then, as we were...

But even in your day, school history was much more than worshipping the accomplishments of rich white folks. Anyone who thinks that's what history was or is simply doesn't have a good grasp of history

I don't know about you, but in my early education progressivism wasn't highlighted, but worshipped, and it's only gotten worse

What you're touching on is the debate on the "Great Man" theory of history. It's obviously helpful to know how the common man lived, but completely abandoning the stories of the achievements of the movers and shakers in order to focus on the black trans community in 15th century London is even more harmful
Where are you getting these ridiculous ideas? Who is saying anything about abandoning everything that has been taught? It's about integration of others and other ideas. I think maybe one of the things that progressives are asking for is simply teaching that some of these "great men" were fuckin pricks. They accomplished a lot, yes, but they were fuckin pricks and here is who they screwed over/stepped on to become "great" in current history books.

What's the big deal in that?

Last edited:
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
In addition, ikanealot, the Irish might get more of a nod in this history. More than just the potato famine, the Molly Maguires, and the origin of the nicknames Mick and Bogtrotter. You still learn the latter in diversity training, though, so you're covered.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Any education system that leads to citizens electing Donald Trump needs an overhaul.
Not to mention believing in a flat Earth (but that might be due to too much acid/meth/paint thinner) and that there was a big giant flood from a sky god who loves us, well at least more than those vile trilobites (we'll see which He keeps longer).

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Hey, I have no problem widely expanding history taught in schools to be more inclusive.

There's little to none being taught now as it is.

As long as they use it to replace all the BS/PC ethic/ethnic/gender/AGW theory studies instead.

Only so many hours in a school day/week/year for most important stuff like reading, writing, arithmetic and STEM.
#ireaditontheinternet

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Who's being left out? Do you have a draft of the text?

That's a convenient stance to take. So then, as we were...

Where are you getting these ridiculous ideas? Who is saying anything about abandoning everything that has been taught? It's about integration of others and other ideas. I think maybe one of the things that progressives are asking for is simply teaching that some of these "great men" were fuckin pricks. They accomplished a lot, yes, but they were fuckin pricks and here is who they screwed over/stepped on to become "great" in current history books.

What's the big deal in that?
Who do you think is being left out? Be honest with yourself now

As to your last paragraph, you're either ignoring or just not familiar with what's been going on with progressives in the last decade