But how does solar work when it rains?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
LOL!!!!!!! Just look at how many square miles they covered in panels to electrify a handful of homes on a speck of the map. :roflmao:

If you look it up on google maps you will see that they took three very large farms that would have been producing crops to feed people and covered them in solar panels. Never mind the loss of crops and the loss of greenery. Lets cover the planet in chinese solar panels. Big deal they can power a Ryan Homes subdivision with a little left over. Get fukked. Seriously.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
If you look it up on google maps you will see that they took three very large farms that would have been producing crops to feed people and covered them in solar panels. Never mind the loss of crops and the loss of greenery. Lets cover the planet in chinese solar panels. Big deal they can power a Ryan Homes subdivision with a little left over. Get fukked. Seriously.

I can pay my Doctor with a chicken!!

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
LOL!!!!!!! Just look at how many square miles they covered in panels to electrify a handful of homes on a speck of the map. :roflmao:

lol is right - how many square miles? the total panel coverage is 1.3 square miles. and this 100% solar community retained 90% of the original parcel in it's form original due to the biggest land preservation deal in the state. and they rode out Hurricane Ian with no loss of services. you can put that in my town, any time, no problem.

and the whole set-up just fooks your little narrative right up the ass. lol.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
lol is right - how many square miles? the total panel coverage is 1.3 square miles. and this 100% solar community retained 90% of the original parcel in it's form original due to the biggest land preservation deal in the state. and they rode out Hurricane Ian with no loss of services. you can put that in my town, any time, no problem.

and the whole set-up just fooks your little narrative right up the ass. lol.
Impressive. I didn’t read the article, does it address efficiency with a 90 to 100% cloud cover?

Rain doesn’t make any difference. Cloud cover does.

Ask me how I know that.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

So that’s a lot of Teslas driving past the closed gas stations.

BTW, how many square miles of Texas, Oklahoma etc are taken up by oil rigs? The Permian Basin alone is almost 100,000 square miles.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Impressive. I didn’t read the article, does it address efficiency with a 90 to 100% cloud cover?

Rain doesn’t make any difference. Cloud cover does.

Ask me how I know that.
The Sunshine State has lots of sunshine

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The Sunshine State has lots of sunshine
Especially during a hurricane, which is the premise of the article you posted if we are to believe the title. Your home state of Arizona has lots of sunshine too without those nasty hurricanes blotting out the sun.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Especially during a hurricane, which is the premise of the article you posted if we are to believe the title. Your home state of Arizona has lots of sunshine too without those nasty hurricanes blotting out the sun.
Az isn’t my home state.

The article talks about how well the system did during the hurricane.

Zero burns in this post.

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
The house next to me has solar panels, and my house being taller, I get a good view of them. The pigeons seem to fit nicely between the panels and the roof, so the solar panels have turned that house into a pigeon coop of sorts.

I was recently in a different neighborhood in that same town, and heard the distinctive cooing of pigeons. I took a walk across the street to get a look - sure enough, solar panels up there.

Is this a known thing? If not, it should be (based on my two data points).

• Haha
Reactions: GromsDad

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Az isn’t my home state.

The article talks about how well the system did during the hurricane.

Zero burns in this post.
As long as there’s sun I’d expect it to do well. Why wouldn’t it? No sun and I’d expect the efficiency to degrade. What exactly is the point you’re trying to make with this thread?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Doesn’t rain too much here (Cardiff by the Sea). I ordered solar panels for my Tesla (adds up to additional 60 miles per charge).

Last edited:
Reactions: sirfun