Bursitis in Shoulder

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've been through two AC seperations in my left shoulder so I kinda know the drill but I hurt my other shoulder doing manual labor. Doc diagnosed it today as most likely being bursitis.

Range of motion is mostly good but definitely limited behind my back. Feels a little swollen and I can feel it bind up and catch under certain movements.

Rest, ibuprophen then PT.

Anyone with direct experience have advice?

I have HMO plan so getting imaging done right away isn't really an option.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I had a cortisone shot in my hip bursa last week. All good this week. Ask your doc if you’re a good candidate for the injection in your shoulder.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had a cortisone shot in my hip bursa last week. All good this week. Ask your doc if you’re a good candidate for the injection in your shoulder.
I've always wondered about the cortisone. Does that just mask the pain? Could it mask the pain and allow you to happily continue damaging the joint?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yes it could. You have to be careful not to overdue activity because of it.

It's affective at reducing swelling which can help if that's what's causing the pain.

Reactions: john4surf

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
SBD if you’re in the San Diego area, our ‘go to’ for shoulder repairs is Mike Skyhar, MD who specialized in shoulders and knees. The posters from patients in his waiting room and exam room read like a ‘who’s who’ of professional athlete’s (Chargers to skate, surf, surfers, pro-motorcycle riders, etc.). I think he’s retiring next year but he did magic with my shoulder about 20 years ago. (760) 690-3800 Good luck going forward! John

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Progress… 3 tiny holes. One for camera, one for vacuum and one for snipping. Technology is great!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yes it could. You have to be careful not to overdue activity because of it.

It's affective at reducing swelling which can help if that's what's causing the pain.

I talked with a friend yesterday- two old carps talking about injuries. He recently dislocated a shoulder. I injured my back a year and a half ago and my back is still really sore after surfing. The last surf I had, I went to run up a ramp afterwards and my back started cramping and spasming really bad. I had to walk.

He told me the MD said if he was going to get a cortisone injection, to get it sooner rather than later. Something about interrupting the neural path way (pain signal) before it becomes ingrained.

Anyone hear of that?

Reactions: john4surf

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I've always wondered about the cortisone. Does that just mask the pain? Could it mask the pain and allow you to happily continue damaging the joint?
Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory. It masks pain IF...the physician mixes a short or long acting anesthetic like lidocaine in with steroid. I had an injection in my knee last month and it worked wonders!

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I talked with a friend yesterday- two old carps talking about injuries. He recently dislocated a shoulder. I injured my back a year and a half ago and my back is still really sore after surfing. The last surf I had, I went to run up a ramp afterwards and my back started cramping and spasming really bad. I had to walk.

He told me the MD said if he was going to get a cortisone injection, to get it sooner rather than later. Something about interrupting the neural path way (pain signal) before it becomes ingrained.

Anyone hear of that?
No ingrained pain pathway. Odd.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I roll a olympic bar on my traps and that does wonders for my shoulder pain.

It's a PITA but it really helps.

Anyone hear of that?
Try wearing a weight belt when you surf.

Using it as a cuing device.

Are you doing hollow body exercises?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I roll a olympic bar on my traps and that does wonders for my shoulder pain.

It's a PITA but it really helps.

Try wearing a weight belt when you surf.

Using it as a cuing device.

Are you doing hollow body exercises?
I've been surfing a lot now that it's summer. I cannot or do not surf two days in a row. By evening of the day I surf, my muscles are cramping. I was up to just over bodyweight DL's but had a "flare up"a few weeks ago after a surf and so haven't done that for a while. Might start again this week. In the meantime I've been doing these, but might replace the curl up with hollow holds. The curl up he describes, I don't feel it in my core, only my neck.

Yesterday I went for a cheater five in a low stance and my back protested with vehemance.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I like hollow body for spine stabilization. But that could be me.

But the Mcgill stuff would work if you do.

I used to go on surf trips and by day 7 paddling all day at a point my back would spasm.

Squating (being in the position) every day with no weight will make your body not see that unusual position as dangerous.

Try one of these to spare your spine.

DLing is better but if you keep getting hurt, this is better than nothing.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I like hollow body for spine stabilization. But that could be me.

But the Mcgill stuff would work if you do.

I used to go on surf trips and by day 7 paddling all day at a point my back would spasm.

Squating (being in the position) every day with no weight will make your body not see that unusual position as dangerous.

Try one of these to spare your spine.

DLing is better but if you keep getting hurt, this is better than nothing.
Just to be clear, I am not getting hurt DLing. It's surfing that gets me. Running for example never caused any problems, but after my last flare up, I could not run.

I like the idea of squatting. I think I'll start doing body weight squats with a long pause at the bottom.

Someone told me to keep my core tense when popping up. I wish I could be that conscious when surfing.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Someone told me to keep my core tense when popping up. I wish I could be that conscious when surfing.
You can train that when you DL.

Or practice get ups on dry land and do it.

KB swings helped with that too.

It took me a long time to figure how to do that.

What you are doing is clenching the muscles in front of and behind the lumbar spine.

I would just extend with my back extensor muscles and that is not the right way to do it.

My normal state it to be in lumbar extension with my lower abdomen muscles relaxed.

That is no good.