Bugmen will eat bugs

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
THE TRUE AND ONLY HEAVEN Progress and Its Critics. By Christopher Lasch. 591 pp. New York: W.W. Norton & Company. $25.
Sometimes a scholarly work is more important for the questions it raises than the answers it provides. In this provocative, and certain to be controversial, book, Christopher Lasch, a professor of history at the University of Rochester, pursues a fundamental question: "How does it happen that serious people continue to believe in progress, in the face of massive evidence that might have been expected to refute the idea of progress once and for all?" According to Mr. Lasch, despite the shrill and acrimonious conflicts between the left and the right, they share a common belief in the inevitability and desirability of economic and technical development.
However, in "The True and Only Heaven" he maintains that the idea of progress rests on several untenable propositions: that material expectations can be constantly revised, that luxuries can be ceaselessly redefined as necessities, that new groups can be continually incorporated into the culture of consumption and that a global market embracing impoverished populations around the world can be ultimately created. Neither the right nor the left has yet come to grips with an increasingly obvious problem: "the earth's finite resources will not support an indefinite expansion of industrial civilization." Given the present rate of population growth, he argues, an environmental disaster would be created if the Western standard of living were successfully exported to the poorer nations of the world. Moreover, the advanced countries have neither the will today nor the resources to assume such an immense program of development. They cannot even address their own problems of poverty. "In the United States, the richest country in the world," Mr. Lasch writes, "a growing proletariat faces a grim future, and even the middle class has seen its standard of living begin to decline."
Let them eat cake.

:dancing::beer::shrug::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is why the FDA used to limit the amount of bugs found in food:

HOw will we de-parasite the bugs they expect us to eat? Antibiotics? Running them through a neutron beam?

Just like nature. :roflmao:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
THE TRUE AND ONLY HEAVEN Progress and Its Critics. By Christopher Lasch. 591 pp. New York: W.W. Norton & Company. $25.
Sometimes a scholarly work is more important for the questions it raises than the answers it provides. In this provocative, and certain to be controversial, book, Christopher Lasch, a professor of history at the University of Rochester, pursues a fundamental question: "How does it happen that serious people continue to believe in progress, in the face of massive evidence that might have been expected to refute the idea of progress once and for all?" According to Mr. Lasch, despite the shrill and acrimonious conflicts between the left and the right, they share a common belief in the inevitability and desirability of economic and technical development.
However, in "The True and Only Heaven" he maintains that the idea of progress rests on several untenable propositions: that material expectations can be constantly revised, that luxuries can be ceaselessly redefined as necessities, that new groups can be continually incorporated into the culture of consumption and that a global market embracing impoverished populations around the world can be ultimately created. Neither the right nor the left has yet come to grips with an increasingly obvious problem: "the earth's finite resources will not support an indefinite expansion of industrial civilization." Given the present rate of population growth, he argues, an environmental disaster would be created if the Western standard of living were successfully exported to the poorer nations of the world. Moreover, the advanced countries have neither the will today nor the resources to assume such an immense program of development. They cannot even address their own problems of poverty. "In the United States, the richest country in the world," Mr. Lasch writes, "a growing proletariat faces a grim future, and even the middle class has seen its standard of living begin to decline."
I've been training myself to live with less.

ironically, at the same time, I've been drinking more expensive wine.

Reactions: hammies

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
This is why the FDA used to limit the amount of bugs found in food:

HOw will we de-parasite the bugs they expect us to eat? Antibiotics? Running them through a neutron beam?

Just like nature. :roflmao:
“Cockroaches caught in toilets carried more parasites (31.99%) as compared to those from kitchens (22.63%) and houses (11.14%). ”

Bugmen take note - prob not the best idea to go roach hunting in toilets.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Actually there is the Lone Star tick that can cause you to become allergic to meat.

To be precise, the allergy is for alpha-gal (a type of complex sugar) found in most edible mammals. More here (click me).
I’m well aware of the tick borne disease alpha gall.

the screen shot is in regards to bill gates GMO-ing mosquitos so that we are forced to eat bugs

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I’m well aware of the tick borne disease alpha gall.

the screen shot is in regards to bill gates GMO-ing mosquitos so that we are forced to eat bugs
1 You might be the 3rd or 4th person I've met who has heard of this, but then again, the topic rarely comes up.

2 Would guess it would be cheaper and more effective to air drop Lone Star ticks to selected areas than DNA up a mosquito, but since I had to turn in my nefarious evil-doer lab assistant badge years ago, my knowledge may be very dated.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
1 You might be the 3rd or 4th person I've met who has heard of this, but then again, the topic rarely comes up.

2 Would guess it would be cheaper and more effective to air drop Lone Star ticks to selected areas than DNA up a mosquito, but since I had to turn in my nefarious evil-doer lab assistant badge years ago, my knowledge may be very dated.
Just about everything I do has me in very tick prone areas so I need to be pretty aware of it. But yea most are shocked when they hear about it.

Reactions: Mr Doof