Bugmen will eat bugs

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You're going to hell for that one :roflmao: :drowning:

BTW I'll see you there :beer:
I remember when I swam offseason with the Y back in high school days and there was this one kind of weird dad at one of the meets who walked up to me and tried to recruit me to go to Penn State, supposedly an actual recruiter. It might not have been the most tactful response but I broke out laughing, why in the hell would I want to leave SoCal for Pennsylvania?! :roflmao:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Backpedal? :roflmao: Have you ever seen a 1/8" thick rib eye the size of a coaster in the grocery store? :unsure: :ROFLMAO: Beef is not profitable for sale until it's of large adult size, moran. Holy fook.

Sure you were :roflmao: What exactly were you doing?

Again . .. . . The cows are raised on a pasture when they are younger (which is why I mentioned "adults", because that's all that's in that photo) and trucked and/or herded in. During the early stages they may be fed grass brought in from elsewhere. Do you think Penn State, which is a university with a mandate to serve the agriculture industry, is making this up :unsure: :roflmao:
You are so fucking useless. I showed you pictures of the BEEF farms after you claimed they're DAIRY farms.

Now suddenly you can tell the age of the cows by looking at the picture.

Dishonest backpedaling semantics. Zero integrity looser. Bye.

• Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You are so fucking useless. I showed you pictures of the BEEF farms after you claimed they're DAIRY farms.
No- I simply asked how you know what they are, which is very different from claiming or stating what they are:
"Also, do you know whether they are beef or dairy cattle :unsure:"

Another case of your lack of reading comprehension at best, and/or a another one of your blatant lies at worst (like the one I caught you in earlier today) :trout:

Now suddenly you can tell the age of the cows by looking at the picture.
Older cows tend to be larger, just like any other animal, which I can see from the photo. Beef cows spend the first 2/3s of their life on pastures WHEN THEY ARE SMALLER you fookin idiot :roflmao:

Another link that proves you wrong, directly from the producer you claim to know everything about:

"The cattle fed and finished at Harris Feeding Company spend approximately 70 to 80% of the time grazing on western ranches. Cattle move from ranchlands to Harris Feeding Company after being grass raised for about 16-24 months."

Dishonest backpedaling semantics. Zero integrity looser. Bye.
:roflmao: This is thread is proof positive that your accusations of me "backpedaling" or resorting "semantics" is nothing more than you being a complete idiot who can't read and a pathological liar. Me clarifying your confusion is not backpedaling. Your "proof" is nothing but a single photo that tells no story about how the animals were raised up until that point in their life, where the industry standard is to raise them in other areas and truck or herd them in. That is the standard, not the norm. Cows raised in feedlot conditions from birth will have far too much fat, which is why the standard is to raise them in pasture for the first 2/3s of their life, like the academic link I posted from Penn State, a university that does research and outreach to farmers, shows you.

tldr: You're wrong and you're an idiot.

Holy fook :roflmao:#fecallies

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I knew a guy who ran 2000 head of beef cattle out of a ranch in Los Alamos and leased land up by Orcutt. After a couple of years he'd sell 'em and they would go to a feedlot (maybe Harris, I dunno) for a couple months of fattening before they went to the slaughterhouse. Made a nice living in wet years, not so much in dry. He got old and retired, his kids are now out of the cattle biz and grow Syrah grapes.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I knew a guy who ran 2000 head of beef cattle out of a ranch in Los Alamos and leased land up by Orcutt. After a couple of years he'd sell 'em and they would go to a feedlot (maybe Harris, I dunno) for a couple months of fattening before they went to the slaughterhouse. Made a nice living in wet years, not so much in dry. He got old and retired, his kids are now out of the cattle biz and grow Syrah grapes.
Yep, in dry years they have to bring in grass/hay from elsewhere which can be $$$. This is the standard for how beef is raised, not the niche. @plasticbertrand has no clue what he is talking about.

Apparently a random photo he pulled from google images tells a more complete story than articles from university extensions and industry sources, all of which confirm my original post that he challenged and contradict him :roflmao:

"All cattle are grass fed, but some cattle are fed a diet that includes corn for part of their lives. Grain-fed or “corn-fed” beef is the most widely produced type of beef in the United States. It is a product prized around the world for its highly-marbled cuts that are especially tender and juicy. Grain-fed cattle spend most of their lives grazing on pasture before moving to a feedlot for approximately four to six months prior to harvesting."

Even the super high end grass fed beef producers, who have an incentive to make regular beef sound like it is raised in sub-optimal conditions (which in fairness, a lot of it is) admits this:

"All cattle in the United States start out on pasture, eating grass–technically, you could call all of this beef grassfed. However, after the calves are weaned (at less than a year old), conventionally-raised cattle are shipped to centralized feedlots known as concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). Here, they are fed grain for several months to fatten up quickly before slaughter."

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think it's the rotation that create the positive effect on the environment.
Nearly all grain and feed farmers at least rotate with soy, which pulls Nitrogen from the atmosphere and puts it back in the soil. At one time it was common to rotate cattle, but not sure how common that is nowadays.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Nearly all grain and feed farmers at least rotate with soy, which pulls Nitrogen from the atmosphere and puts it back in the soil. At one time it was common to rotate cattle, but not sure how common that is nowadays.
rotate where the cattle feeds is where the regeneration comes from.

The problem isn't eating meat, it's shitty production practices.

Pigs and chickens are even worse.

I don't get the strawman by the right right that we are all going to be made to eat bugs.

Baiting with misharacteraztion?

Meat will get more expensive.

But everything will in a crowded world.

I think creating protein more efficiently with bugs is about feeding poor people.

We aint that,

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The Western bugmen are trying to do to ag what they did to mfg - regulate it out of existence which did nothing for the environment because it just exported the pollution to Asia.

I think they're moving on it this year because so many farm inputs are made in other parts of the world and there are shortages. There is a fertilizer shortage. Rather than admit this, they are trying to exploit the situation.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Jordan Peterson is a bugman but Michael Yon is not. I've been following Yon off and on for 15 years since he covered Iraq and the GWoT.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I get my grass-fed beef every two months and I eat a couple of times a week.

But I could shift over to plants and I wouldn't really notice.

Also, the guys fearing the rise of the bugman over lord could just get a few chicken.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I get my grass-fed beef every two months and I eat a couple of times a week.

But I could shift over to plants and I wouldn't really notice.

Also, the guys fearing the rise of the bugman over lord could just get a few chicken.
You just keep demonstrating that you don't get it

Chicken won't be allowed either