Bugmen will eat bugs

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
never forget that bugman is defined not by what he eats but by how he lives and his utter soullessness

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
never forget that bugman is defined not by what he eats but by how he lives and his utter soullessness

A caricature of a very high percentage of Americans.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

"Totally dependent on the compromised support of his nanny state and high-tech devices, the bugman has been reduced to the status of a domestic animal. A 200-pound child. And like a child, the bugman’s shallowness keeps him malleable to the fleeting whims and fads of a degenerate, smartphone-addicted, dopamine-hooked society. He bases his identity on passing trends that to him appear profound, priding himself on being a ‘step ahead’ of his peers — an ‘early adopter’ — not realizing it’s the marketer who’s always a step ahead of him. He is the millennial test subject, the lab rat brand loyalty experts are paid $20,000 an hour to pigeonhole."

A society of everyone on their phones doom-scrolling until death do they part. Spatial/situational awareness in the gutter, likewise with focus, critical thinking, and attention span.

It is the worst plague visited on society since the black death.

Reactions: crustBrother

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
A caricature of a very high percentage of Americans.
I would also say this caricature actually leans way more female than male.

It's very easy to get trapped in that lifestyle as a result. One must resist the chronic screen/couch combo.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I would also say this caricature actually leans way more female than male.

It's very easy to get trapped in that lifestyle as a result. One must resist the chronic screen/couch combo.
It's generally a condemnation of American culture, which all Americans are party to, except the author who somehow stands above it all.

The part that I find most curious is this:

"Bugmen are what we get when a culture is infantilized, watered down and stripped of the very intellectual, philosophical and honourable fibre that once made it great."

What is the intellectual, philosophical, and honorable fiber that once made America (or whereever) great?

Reactions: Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's generally a condemnation of American culture, which all Americans are party to, except the author who somehow stands above it all.

"Bugmen are what we get when a culture is infantilized, watered down and stripped of the very intellectual, philosophical and honourable fibre that once made it great."

What is the intellectual, philosophical, and honorable fiber that once made America great?
I'm not sure but I think WWF/Wrestlemania may have been the culmination or the catalyst to where we are now.

Seriously, though, all this sh!t is nothing new. Back in the 70s/80s, before social media, people still gabbed about what happened on TV the night before. Less shows on offer, same blather.

I bet it was the same when it just the radio.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

What is the intellectual, philosophical, and honorable fiber that once made America (or whereever) great?
At one time we had great artists and great writers. Not sure why they haven't emerged... late-stage capitalism?
The internet has made us much more democratic, at least in our opinions. And isn't democracy the greatest thing ever:toilet:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA

I get the sense that you are an old guy (maybe a proto bugman, maybe not,) and as such you don't really have much exposure to people for whom owning the newest iphone or having a critic-approved opinion on the latest Avengers movie is a foundation of their personality and sense of self-worth.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i sort of think there was (and still are) many different creeds that point people upward here in america.

for example, martin luther king and malcolm X were like yin and yang philosophically (imho) but both played crucial roles in the civil rights movement

jesus is just all right with me but personally i really dig the cowboy code

one of the very best people i've ever know was a devout communist

what about you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I get the sense that you are an old guy (maybe a proto bugman, maybe not,) and as such you don't really have much exposure to people for whom owning the newest iphone or having a critic-approved opinion on the latest Avengers movie is a foundation of their personality and sense of self-worth.
I get the sense that the caricatures are designed to make the anti-bugman feel less ridiculous. Is it working?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
i sort of think there was (and still are) many different creeds that point people upward here in america.

for example, martin luther king and malcolm X were like yin and yang philosophically (imho) but both played crucial roles in the civil rights movement

jesus is just all right with me but personally i really dig the cowboy code

one of the very best people i've ever know was a devout communist

what about you?
We know he likes Kafka. I guess he's a Czechian.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
I get the sense that the caricatures are designed to make the anti-bugman feel less ridiculous. Is it working?
Funny enough, several of the guys I know who are most like this were/are big WWE fans. Perhaps @Kento is onto something.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
People forget that kids are dopey.

And most people are sh!t, satisficing to save resources.

I remember when I was young, old people being disgusted by me.

And look how good I turned out

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
I get the sense you're jealous of those people. Maybe we could start a GoFundMe to get you a new iPhone? And then everything else in your life will come together, you'll be just like those people you follow on Instagram. You'll see!

• Haha
Reactions: bird.LA