brukuns does SoCal - September

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I will look into this... discounted Disney tickets interest me very much. more than groceries, that's worth an extra effort if it comes to it. :computer:

As far as groceries go, it's not like I'm going to break the bank if I need to use Vons, that's what all the theme parks, car rental, weed and whisky shopping are for :roflmao:.

I know I can only get an Airbnb address after I've made the reservation, but you get the approximate area enough that you're not getting a room in the center of an ongoing gang war. hahaha.

I'll look into the details of using the card and paying in cash... I refrain from using the credit card as much as I can throughout my trips, why pay all the taxes if I'm bringing cash anyways.

THanks again guys... do they sell discounted flowers at Cotsco???

Reactions: grapedrink

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
As mentioned, disneyland is not in LA and only an hour from Legoland.

maybe consider a stay in NCSD and drive for Disney. NCSD also has the wild animal park.

why home base in LA? Everything in LA takes at least an hour by car.
Last time I went to Disney I stayed in Orange... pretty quick drive to San Clemente but def adds up if I'm driving to Carlsbad. I can also hop between places no problem while on the move... maybe 2 nights in Orange while doing Disney than go to NCSD. It will be easier to decide once I research more and check the quality and price of the available accommodations.

I used to work in Santa Monica... my wife visited for a month while I was there not to mention all the other trips. We have a soft spot for the place and I will spend at least a few days there (West LA) for sure... I usually stay there as soon as I arrive and then a little more before I leave since I'll need to drive to LAX anyway. I understand the traffic is annoying but I already know what to expect. Got a few places we want to visit but we'll have plenty of time to travel to other places too. Maybe 3 nights in LA when I get there (arriving at night so first night is wasted) and then the last 2 nights at the end of the trip.

It's about time I start doing some proper research, I'm a little rusty, back in the day I would be on top of it already.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
makes sense. If there is a reason to be in LA by all means stay there.

sometimes peeps think they want to be in LA but don’t have any real reason other than not knowing anywhere else.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Brukuns wife is the boss of him. Brah, if you cant sneak out one day to surf I would fire her. :socrazy:
It's all about picking your fights. lol. Or at least picking the right moment to touch on the subject (which I managed to do today). Talking some sense on her. I think this can happen.

I haven't surfed in a while but I know that the thought of being somewhere with waves and not having the chance to go out is really nightmarish, literally. I have these nightmares sometimes where I'm at the beach and the waves are just right but random sh!t keep happening and I can't go out... So yeah, if I'm there and surf is on, I'll have to go out and get some at some point... even if it's to just take some on the head.

I haven't surfed in a while but that's because I don't live on the coast. If I'm by the ocean I'm basically drawn to it, even if it's just to body surf. Nothing quite like riding waves. A little over 6 months... there's more than enough time to get back on the horse in time to enjoy some pacific ocean waves. :socrazy:

Reactions: grapedrink

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I think if you based yourself out of an Airbnb in San Clemente for at least part of the trip, you could get the best of both worlds - relatively easy drive to both Disneyland and to Oceanside/Carlsbad, and access to the beach during down time. I would hate to try and drive to/from Disneyland from Santa Monica during peak traffic hours.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I think if you based yourself out of an Airbnb in San Clemente for at least part of the trip, you could get the best of both worlds - relatively easy drive to both Disneyland and to Oceanside/Carlsbad, and access to the beach during down time. I would hate to try and drive to/from Disneyland from Santa Monica during peak traffic hours.
Absolutely. I did that once actually... and I really like the San Clemente vibes. I'm absolutely considering that. but for the epic DMJ surf with gbg I'd probably have to be south of Camp Pendleton...I can still spend a few days in SC and a few days in NCSD.

Would never drive from Anaheim to Santa Monica for the day... I'll do SM when I'm based in LA at the beginning or end of the trip.

@gbg Are you living in Chula Vista? That's one hell of a drive. I'm just wondering how far south SD I can go and still be able to have that session with you. Considering spending a healthy amount of time in SD, I've been there many times but never really explored around, there's much to see.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
getting to DMJ from San Clemente is pretty close

You could make your way down the coast - couple days in WLA, couple days in SC, and a couple days in Cardiff/Leucadia. Might be worth looking into getting a beach campsite at San Elijo if they're not booked up.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
getting to DMJ from San Clemente is pretty close

You could make your way down the coast - couple days in WLA, couple days in SC, and a couple days in Cardiff/Leucadia. Might be worth looking into getting a beach campsite at San Elijo if they're not booked up.
Yeah, but I need to drive in (DMJ) with gbg, and he's coming from the South, so for that specific bit I probably need to be N of DMJ. I can always meet him somewhere I can park my car but wife will be easier to tame if car stays with her.

I'll try to optimize my time in each accommodation, so if I stay a few days in SC it's probably worth going a bit further south for my next stay. I can probably explore NCSD while staying in SC and focus on Exploring SD proper staying a little further south.

This is me brainstorming btw. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: tedshred5

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Absolutely. I did that once actually... and I really like the San Clemente vibes. I'm absolutely considering that. but for the epic DMJ surf with gbg I'd probably have to be south of Camp Pendleton...I can still spend a few days in SC and a few days in NCSD.

Would never drive from Anaheim to Santa Monica for the day... I'll do SM when I'm based in LA at the beginning or end of the trip.

@gbg Are you living in Chula Vista? That's one hell of a drive. I'm just wondering how far south SD I can go and still be able to have that session with you. Considering spending a healthy amount of time in SD, I've been there many times but never really explored around, there's much to see.
I'm 4 miles north of the border. It will help you if you stayed closest to oceanside but no worries if you are in san clemente. I'm in the water early no matter how far the drive.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Last time I went to Disney I stayed in Orange... pretty quick drive to San Clemente but def adds up if I'm driving to Carlsbad. I can also hop between places no problem while on the move... maybe 2 nights in Orange while doing Disney than go to NCSD. It will be easier to decide once I research more and check the quality and price of the available accommodations.

I used to work in Santa Monica... my wife visited for a month while I was there not to mention all the other trips. We have a soft spot for the place and I will spend at least a few days there (West LA) for sure... I usually stay there as soon as I arrive and then a little more before I leave since I'll need to drive to LAX anyway. I understand the traffic is annoying but I already know what to expect. Got a few places we want to visit but we'll have plenty of time to travel to other places too. Maybe 3 nights in LA when I get there (arriving at night so first night is wasted) and then the last 2 nights at the end of the trip.

It's about time I start doing some proper research, I'm a little rusty, back in the day I would be on top of it already.
You're calibrated to Brazil-level crime and stuff. Let me know if this is true mkay?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
All of this unfortunately hinges on my work schedule that sometimes I have no control of.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
All of this unfortunately hinges on my work schedule that sometimes I have no control of.
No worries. If we manage when I'm there it's gonna be cool, but I'm not planning the trip around it (and then we also depend on what the waves are gonna be doing). And I'm not making you drive miles past the spot just to pick me up. If this happens it needs to be easy enough for you, I won't have it any other way. Unless you are a masochist that likes to suffer, than just let me know. :dancing:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
You're calibrated to Brazil-level crime and stuff. Let me know if this is true mkay?
Always the charmer.

I was chased by 10 mexicans for 2 blocks in Santa Monica, not really scared of a few wacko hobos. But yeah, it's not the safest place on earth as I can confirm myself. Still around 1000000x safer than where I live... I just won the jackpot in Santa Monica... time and place, time and place. I was unlucky.

and the "leader" of the mexican pack was arrested and got 2 years (they didn't manage to steal my phone so I had the pleasure of calling the police and leading the cops straight to them as I followed from a safe distance). I went to court to watch it first hand. Do you think that would have happened in Brazil? Yeah right... first world baby, first world. Not scared one bit.

Clearly I don't go there for the safety. Wasn't really traumatized either. Wanna know what's scary? Looking at your rearview mirror and seeing 2 guys on a bike.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Disney + DMT pen bro. Wife will never know.
I don't get my kicks with pens unfortunately... gotta feel the cancerous thick smoke filling the lungs or no deal. It's not like I'm hiding either. But yeah, one nice joint before breakfast and another one before we're out and hold on for dear life until the day is over.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Hey y'all. I'm popping up in SoCal this October with wife and kiddo. Gonna use this post to annoy you guys looking for tips and ideas.

All I have are the dates.. no airbnbs or hotels yet. no plans. All I know is I'm arriving in LAX on the 9th and I'll leave on the 23rd. Disneyland is gonna happen, anything else is undefined. Yosemite? Vegas? fook all that and just stick to SoCal? anything is game.

challenge will be keeping a 6 year old entertained, that's gonna be new, never done SoCal with a snotty little buggar.

Renting cars has gotten tremendously more expensive since last time I was there in 2017 it seems... fook.
Use TURO.

There's a car for every price point.

Reactions: brukuns