brukuns does SoCal - September

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Hey y'all. I'm popping up in SoCal this October with wife and kiddo. Gonna use this post to annoy you guys looking for tips and ideas.

All I have are the dates.. no airbnbs or hotels yet. no plans. All I know is I'm arriving in LAX on the 9th and I'll leave on the 23rd. Disneyland is gonna happen, anything else is undefined. Yosemite? Vegas? Fuck all that and just stick to SoCal? anything is game.

challenge will be keeping a 6 year old entertained, that's gonna be new, never done SoCal with a snotty little buggar.

Renting cars has gotten tremendously more expensive since last time I was there in 2017 it seems... fuck.

Reactions: diro, JDJ and Havoc

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
You bringing surf gear?
I wouldn't spend much time in LA.
Hopefully your wife expects you to sneak out and surf. If not, you should have set some ground rules early.

Reactions: PRCD

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
You bringing surf gear?
I wouldn't spend much time in LA.
Hopefully your wife expects you to sneak out and surf. If not, you should have set some ground rules early.
No surf gear...Not even sure I'm gonna surf to be honest... too much trouble for too much crowd.

Definitely not spending the whole time in LA, but a healthy amount, yes... Have a soft spot for that chaos ladden city.

If I decide to surf it will be the same as it always was. I go out at first light, surf for 2 hours than have to zombie my way through the day.

Reactions: Havoc and johnson7

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No surf gear...Not even sure I'm gonna surf to be honest... too much trouble for too much crowd.

Definitely not spending the whole time in LA, but a healthy amount, yes... Have a soft spot for that chaos ladden city.

If I decide to surf it will be the same as it always was. I go out at first light, surf for 2 hours than have to zombie my way through the day.
On weekdays, dawn patrol is the most most crowded time slot. You might get a half hour if you paddle out when it's still kind of dark.

Do you know what part of town you'll be staying?

Reactions: brukuns

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Come down to IB. We can have a surf off at the TJ sloughs.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
On weekdays, dawn patrol is the most most crowded time slot. You might get a half hour if you paddle out when it's still kind of dark.

Do you know what part of town you'll be staying?
Yeah, I remember... But it's the only time I can surf without getting in the way of my wife's enjoyment. I honestly don't know if I'll surf there... haven't surfed in over a year... I'm only surfing there if I'm back in surfing shape until then... There's no fighting SoCal crowds if you're out of shape. If I decide to surf I will definitely try a couple sessions at Uppers, love that wave. Got lucky once, forecast was crazy onshore winds and thunderstorms... walked down before first light, it was glassy 4ft, no rain at all and 2 souls out when I got there... probably one of the best sessions I had in my life and that's never happening again.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
man one day at disney for 3 people can be like 1 extravagant week in Bali maybe even 2 not as extravagant weeks.

i get its for the grom - but you can always tell him it closed :poke:
How? It's 100 bucks. Not staying at those ridiculously expensive resorts, gonna find something nice and cheaper in either Orange or Anaheim.

Also, and I don't say that with pride, my wife pays for her sh!t and her share of the kid's sh!t. It is what it is.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Stay in north county SD a few days. I will take you DMJ. Hell, we can park at church and you can walk 300 yards up the beach to lowers. I can't believe you havent surfed in a year. A weekday DMJ session better for you. No crowd.
Thanks gbg, I might do that! but know nothing of the DMJ... what kind of wave is it? Crowded?

Got an annoying health problem last year and just the thought of spending all the time sitting in the car and then sitting on a surfboard made me cringe in pain. Almost healed up now but the effort for me to surf living away from the coast is too much now that I've gotten used to just not surf. The thought of going to SoCal and not even having a single session makes me a bit sad though, so I'm considering getting back to it. I will not surf if I'm not back to surfing before I go though, that's for sure.