Bruce is back

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There was a question on the ”Nine Club” recently about when was the first time you really noticed you were in the presence of a “professional skateboarder “. I thought at that time it would fit here. Please go at it ERBB rippers!
Probably the first time I saw Kekoa Bacalso surf. I think I was 13 and he was 10. Any adult doesn't count at that age, but when you see someone younger than you do 900 turns in 3 hours, you know you're seeing something unique.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
There was a question on the ”Nine Club” recently about when was the first time you really noticed you were in the presence of a “professional skateboarder “. I thought at that time it would fit here. Please go at it ERBB rippers!
Skateboarders
Watching Tony Hawk and Kevin Stabb skate the keyhole at Del Mar Skate Ranch in 1985/86.
I grew up with the Buena Pool 5 minutes from my house. Salba, Keith Meek, Ricky Stiles and most importantly Andy Roy. Andy and I had the same schedule with school.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Probably the first time I saw Kekoa Bacalso surf. I think I was 13 and he was 10. Any adult doesn't count at that age, but when you see someone younger than you do 900 turns in 3 hours, you know you're seeing something unique.
Mine was seeing sunset on a big north swell. I think it was 1998/99 winter.

Parents took my brother and I.

Beach and water was closed and we watched dudes skirt the lifeguards to paddle out and surf.

When I saw dudes surfing waves that big that’s when i realized they are on an entirely different level then anything else

Reactions: potato-nator

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Skateboarders

I grew up with the Buena Pool 5 minutes from my house. Salba, Keith Meek, Ricky Stiles and most importantly Andy Roy. Andy and I had the same schedule with school.
Along with having one of the best names ever, Ricky Stiles fkn rips!

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
My main surf partners during my senior year of high school were Tamayo Perry and Pancho Sullivan. It was humbling, every day.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
It's all personal opinion but to me he wasn't the best surfer in his prime. He was great...one of the best. Unfortunately Bruces prime coincided with Kelly's freakishly long prime. Bruce surfed with a little less power than Andy but with a better air game. Andy was a better barrel rider. Andy was a better complete surfer. Watching Andy surf J-bay was incredible. I will say Bruces style was much more casual than Andys and that's a good look. For me, he never lived up the the hype of the Bruce movie.
Bruce, Andy, Kelly.... don't stand a chance against Jimbo.

Reactions: johnson7

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
is he still alive?
Jimbo returned to Kauai after loosing his arm. I think there was a photo of him picking up a new Brewer a year or two and some back. Not sure where he might be. I went to high school with his Dad when I lived in California decades back. He did want .... to get back in the ocean.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Bruce always pissed me off. The guy had talent, drive, style, marketability etc., then just threw it all away around age 25. I'm sure watching Andy's decline and death were traumatic but even before that he just seemed to not appreciate at all what he had.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I heard way too many stories of him starting sh!t at Hanalei and then getting Kala and Titus to bail him out. There’s one of him destroying some tourists car at the pier that’s really hard to stomach.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Bruce always pissed me off. The guy had talent, drive, style, marketability etc., then just threw it all away around age 25. I'm sure watching Andy's decline and death were traumatic but even before that he just seemed to not appreciate at all what he had.
Living here on Kaua'i, one gets spoiled and ya take things for granted sometimes. Nothing to reign you in and check you. Andy and Bruce were phenoms. One can be sidetracked here, very easily.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Say what you want about Bruce's persona. Say what you want about his personal life. Say what you want about his attitude, contest results, or your expectations of a stranger.

Saying he was not an incredible surfing talent is just objectively false. Bruce ripped on a level that few could reach, particularly in waves of consequence. Same with Andy.