Bronchitis

krisc0

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 17, 2002
I might have a problem here. I'm suppossed to leave on a trip to mexico on friday. this trip is suppossed to be all about surfing and fishing. Tuesday I got sick. Now, I've just woken up coughing and gasping for air. I know this feeling and the taste in the back of my thoat. I've got bronchitis. I've been out of the water for over a week now, due to a nasty spill I had in which I was properly introduced to a quaint family of rocks. I would just blow off going due to health, but I have an underlying reason for wanting to go. Saturday is my B-day, and all I want is an uncrowded day of warm water waves. Is there anything I can do to keep this from being a problem? Some kind of otc inhailer, or other medicine? Tight lungs do not encourage confidence in ones ability to hold ones breath in case of wipeout. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
are you coughing up flem? What color is it? If it's greenish/yellowish, then go see a doctor! he/she should be able to proscribe some medication that will help. or get some Robobtusen. The DM formula works for me.

being in the water helps loosen your chest congestion too. the over the counter inhalers don't help too much. if you've got asthma, ask your doctor to write you a proscription for the Advar inhaler. Make sure he writes it as a 2 month supply. They can get kind of expensive. This Advar inhaler is a miracle drug in my opinion. I used to always get bronchitis when I get sick. By regularly using the Advar inhaler it has really prevent my colds from turning into bronchitis.

[ March 06, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: studog ]

sndcrtr

Miki Dora status
Apr 22, 2002
Istanbul,Turkey
I am a chronic bronchitis person. If your flem is green/yellow you have an infection. You will need antiobiotics. Or could turn into pnuemonia.

If brown you are way sick too... go to doc and get some meds and some cough syryp (sp?) I get it every season...

but if you have tightness in your chest that could be something else. Don't take the chance. Call your doc, now, go to see doc. And get some relief. Don't need to be sick in MEx.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
definitely go to the doctor. Then while down in Mexico try to find a pharmacy that carries the antibiotics. stock up on them cause they be cheap!

krisc0

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 17, 2002
thanks you guys, I just got back in. The trip down was awful, but I got to surf from sunrise to sunset minus lunch for a few days and it was well worth it. It got to the point where I could physically no longer surf. That is the greatest feeling on earth. You just fall into your bed in pain , but you can only smile as you go to sleep, because you know that the next morning as sore as you might be , you are just gonna do it again. It was like getting to be a 3 year old with your hand in the cookie jar, and knowing that no one is around to catch you. You might get your fill, but you just keep on going.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
So, you went and you had fun. Good.

Now for the crowd. Several things we learn in medical school. All that wheezes is not asthma. Most causes of bronchitis are viral and can't be treated with antibiotics. Green and yellow phlegm isn't normal, but it is NOT the standard by which antibiotics are prescribed.

Most lung conditions that do not improve, have complicating factors like fever, shortness of breath, wheezing, sweats/chills, chest pain, or discomfort with exertion probably deserve a visit to the local doc.

Where exactly in Mex did you go?

krisc0

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 17, 2002
I went down to Mazatlan, and a few of us took a boat south from there. I'm not exactly sure where we set up shop, because I was kind of busy trying to not pass out or hurl.(what can I say, boat travel and a stomach full of flem don't go very well together) I know we could see the coast and there was no sign of a city or village there there. The waves were shoulder to just overhead, It couldn't have been that far down, because the trip to said spot only took an hour or two, and we weren't exactly going full throtle. We did a little looking around, and saw some nice sets come in, but ended up back at the first spot, because it seemed to be the most consistant. I was concerned about the whole pneumonia thing, but after my first couple waves, the concern about anything besides catching more was gone.