Broken back fin notch thingy in Futures box

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The little bit of plastic that slides into the notch in the back of the fin in the futures box of my pretty new CI twin pin cracked off. Figure not a big deal as the pressure from the grub screw will keep the fin in place but wondering if anyone has had this issue and if it's worth trying to fix somehow.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
No, that’s a pretty big deal the grub wont still hold it in.

i don’t know that you could do mucb but replace the box or try and glue something in at the risk of losing a fin.

Reactions: jkb and SixtyGrit

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Do you mean the pin the fin pivots on inside of the box? If yes I would have box replaced for sure twins speacially bigger templates equal more torque on box:drowning:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah I was thinking since the force is probably on the sides rather than fore aft that it might hold but probably wishful thinking.

Surfed the board like 5 times. Grrrr. Maybe another grub screw through the back to go into the notch?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Yeah I was thinking since the force is probably on the sides rather than fore aft that it might hold but probably wishful thinking.

Surfed the board like 5 times. Grrrr. Maybe another grub screw through the back to go into the notch?
try call CI since so new but no guarantees they will do anything about. I would replace box

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

I think that’s exactly how some brand (libtech?) got past the futures patent. Lol.

try it and let us know!

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
I think that’s exactly how some brand (libtech?) got past the futures patent. Lol.

try it and let us know!
no, libtech boxes take grub screws from the side and use dual tab fins as far as i've experienced. the boxes look like futures on first glance though

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
CI wants me to send them a photo but I suspect I'm drilling a hole in the back of the box and putting a grub screw in like those lib techs. My nephew has one that I can look at and try and match the hole.

Fortunately the boxes have always been way too tight so there's a lot of tension to hold the fin in anyway. Seems way too extreme to rip the box out and replace. Especially since where I am, quality surfboard repair is hard to come by. I do all my dings myself rather than letting some stoner at the surf shop keep my board for 2 months and do a shitty job. Don't feel confident doing a fin box.

I say this every time, but it's my last CI. The glass job is standard CI crap, already showing random dings after 5 surfs and the fins needed to be sanded to get them in the boxes to begin with.

Shame because I like the board. I guess maybe if I want another I'd get a varial or something.

Thinking maybe I angle the board and use a drill press. Perfect thing would be like a dremel tool drill press.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don't know man. Drill press sounds dicey. Too many scenarios where the board slips or tilts to one side and you fvck it up.

I think you'd have more control just using a standard hand drill. Just my opinion.

Edit: I'm guessing you don't have the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig?

1654618471877.png

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
and I don't even know if the Kreg jig will give you the correct angle. Probably best (and easiest) to do what jimmy suggested.
Looks correct but can you switch hole size? Fin box does not seem to hard to drill hole but seems like threading correct angle be careful doing so grub screw grabs fin. Still think I would replace box specially since its a twin and fins seem to torque more :waving: