Broccoli twin test

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Sakal and Tomo are too good for any of us to relate. What works for them won't work for us. Cordell is solid, too, but so tall that most everyone, except for Aruka couldn't relate.

Gromsdad should be trying whatever Biolos likes.

Me? Any 12-year-old who surfed 35 years and hates slow-as-shvt draggy thrusters.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Is that Biolos that sent that? hahhaa. What a prick.
Don't know for sure, just process of elimination left it between Pyzel and Biolos (as one of the YT commenters pointed out), and it didn't sound like the kind of thing Pyzel says :D.

Either way, I was serious when I said... I love his grumpiness.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sakal and Tomo are too good for any of us to relate. What works for them won't work for us. Cordell is solid, too, but so tall that most everyone, except for Aruka couldn't relate.

Me? Any 12-year-old who surfed 35 years and hates slow-as-shvt draggy thrusters.
The drive control and pivot you get from a Thruster is too good to pass up, in most scenarios.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

you and that ciaramello duu shud be close except he likes thrusters.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Modern rear set Twins have all this + the speed and free feeling of a Twin

Size those fins for that placement and most will never go back
Waves have been head high, fast and marching... need to angle the take off.

With the Revo as a thruster, no problem - even if you are a little slow on the pop up. Took the El Tomo twinny out... and its a whole different ball game. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Went back in and went back to the Revo. Center fin is a game changer.

Reactions: JTS and jkb

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Waves have been head high, fast and marching... need to angle the take off.

With the Revo as a thruster, no problem - even if you are a little slow on the pop up. Took the El Tomo twinny out... and its a whole different ball game. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Went back in and went back to the Revo. Center fin is a game changer.
To help fix the lack of control of twin fins, bend your knees, widen your stance, and get as close to the water’s surface as possible while still having control/balance. Using your inside rail to enhance turns will give you a tighter pivot. Look at how low pros get during their bottom turns at the bottom of a wave, both frontside and backside. Using only the fins to turn means you’re standing too tall and the board is too parallel to the water’s surface so you’re not leaning over that rail to bury it and slice it through the water. Most beginners/adult learners(not stating that you are one) rely too much on that center fin and forget the role a rail plays for turns

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Actually watching this sums up my experience with twins perfectly. So much easy speed, so much fun, but can't pull a decent top turn or cutback to save my life.
You can, but how much time are you willing to put into it? How many waves are you willing to waste in this short life? How long are you willing to have your ability level drop? And once you're dialed, are you ready to go back and revamp your quiver with twins because you've changed muscle memory?

The pros can switch through a bunch of different boards and fin setups because a) they're pros and b) they have the time and good wave access.

Nobody gets better at surfing by riding a bunch of different sh!t and never getting anything completely dialed, you get better by repetition on very similar craft and building muscle memory around those boards and style of surfing.

That is how you end up doing the things you've wanted to do and having the confidence to successfully ride the waves you want to ride.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
You can, but how much time are you willing to put into it? How many waves are you willing to waste in this short life? How long are you willing to have your ability level drop? And once you're dialed, are you ready to go back and revamp your quiver with twins because you've changed muscle memory?

The pros can switch through a bunch of different boards and fin setups because a) they're pros and b) they have the time and good wave access.

Nobody gets better at surfing by riding a bunch of different sh!t and never getting anything completely dialed, you get better by repetition on very similar craft and building muscle memory around those boards and style of surfing.

That is how you end up doing the things you've wanted to do and having the confidence to successfully ride the waves you want to ride.
This is sooo incorrect

Good designs should enable you to do everything you want
The only learning curve is seeing how much more they enable you to do as you own them

I'm sure a few here have had boards like this at least once

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Respectfully disagree with a little of this at the bottom end of the wave spectrum. There are not many 6'+ dudes riding Discos all summer in Jax Beach. IMHO there is a size at which a DD-HPSB-ish sized quad, or stubby twin/keel grovel board is the only thing you can do anything remotely resembling chest-head high fun day thruster surfing on in Summer dribble.

If it's knee high you can't really work on your upside down backside pocket gaffs, but with a keel groveler, you can try to maintain nonbog through a roundhouse and bank back off the foampiddle and some of that will translate to motions of rippage in November, especially relative to noseriding or drinking and fishing.

I'm a bit confused that you're banging on about twins here but it sounds like you're doing some foiling. I don't really understand the difference in terms of departure from thruster pocket surfing.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is sooo incorrect

Good designs should enable you to do everything you want
The only learning curve is seeing how much more they enable you to do as you own them

I'm sure a few here have had boards like this at least once
OK, so I was wrong.

People should be able to move between single, twin, twin keel, thruster, 4 fin, and 5 fin without a hitch.

No need to dial.

Just pick it up and rip.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour