Britney Griner gets 9 years…

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Russia's laws on weed are insanity. Lets get that out in the open

But the people who think that she should be subject to our laws instead of theirs are just too much

And there are people in jail in the US for longer sentences for the same crime. We should work on that first rather than causing an international incident because someone is good at a sport.

Is this situation being taken advantage of by the Russian government? Absolutely. We need to be smarter than to fall for it

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Russia's laws on weed are insanity. Lets get that out in the open

But the people who think that she should be subject to our laws instead of theirs are just too much
It wasn't that long ago that ours were equally insane. People went to prison for a few joints in some instances. I'm betting there are still a lot of people rotting in prison for small quantities of weed in some backwoods/hick State. Biden pointing his fingers at the Russians, considering our Federal marijuana laws, is some serious hypocrisy.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I disagree. This was a gift for Putin because he knew it would cause an uproar in our current social environment given that she is a somewhat high profile black lesbian who is outspoken politically.
it WAS indeed a gift to Putin.
i can't help but wonder how many Ukrainians this doomed.

i didn't know she was outspoken politically...i wonder what she
thinks of the good 'ol USA now...? :violin:

travel broadens. in one poo-hole country that i visited i used to toss change
(me BIG spender) to a (seemed like) teenage mom of three who sang from the
same traffic island daily. that i was so rich to do so kinda rattled me.
cause i wasn't rich and had never entertained the notion that i was...:cry:

Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It wasn't that long ago that ours were equally insane. People went to prison for a few joints in some instances. I'm betting there are still a lot of people rotting in prison for small quantities of weed in some backwoods/hick State. Biden pointing his fingers at the Russians, considering our Federal marijuana laws, is some serious hypocrisy.
It would be ironic if one of those people rotting in hick prison for weed was a Russian/Soviet citizen. Good trade opportunity right there.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sounds like she's going to be in jail or a labor camp for a while.

Trading some Russian war criminal for her? Hell no.

What about Westbrick? He'll have time to work on his shot to get up to a 15% 3-pt shooter (might need more than 9 years, though), the Lakers get a bench player that we can match up with DeMarcus Cousins on isolation plays just for fun. :jamon:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I have not met anyone outraged by this. I haven't even heard anyone talk about Griner except on this message board and NPR. Most people here think she was an idiot to not be more careful.
ONLY ON THE INTERNET!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Edited your above comment. I've had friends brag about the sh!t they've taken with them and brought home from surf trips to far flung locations. That's just nuts. Good way to end up in prison or dead. US Law doesn't apply when you're in South America and SouthEast Asia.
How do you know?

deepwater

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 9, 2022
This is of national importance?

Kinda with everybody else on the possession thing, "what was she thinking" would be my line of thought. It's really one of those moments where libs ended up with serious egg on their faces. Since when do we live in a world where a notoriously liberal basketball player believes (along w/her supporters) that she can just say "it wasn't mine" and be allowed to walk? Why does she expect precedent for ignoring the laws of a country she's visiting, didn't her agent warn her?

This whole saga is in the spirit of that darknet prick, Ross Ulbricht from Texas who was arrested by the FBI for running Silk Road and was incarcerated for the rest of his life despite claiming the site was just a medium for people to meet up and exchange goods and services? The DOJ promptly told his wokester supporters to go screw themselves despite threats to hold a nationwide breath holding until he was freed.