Breathholding contest in La Jolla?

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
How old would Hasley be in the photo? 40's? Late 40?
And is that the Bob Shaw that passed on Maui thats gun related?
Hasley, who recruited the old club, screen printed all of our Windansea gear. The hats, tee shirts, and those "Surf or Die" windbreakers. Bill Andrews was always there too. Steve Shaw, an Attorney, was part of the old club and played a huge role in getting the new club's name copyrighted. Steve wrote the surfboard builders manual, the 1964 and 1969 editions. I was in charge of the competition team, and we put the new club back on the map.
  1. Surfboard: Surfboard Builders Manual: stephen shaw, jeff …
    Surfboard: Surfboard Builders Manual [stephen shaw, jeff adams] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Surfboard: Surfboard Builders Manual
    • Author: stephen shaw
    • Format: PaperbackCCI04112012_00002_pe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754 and sponge

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I’m not a La Jolla/San Diego local, or can ever be...but I remember seeing you chck out PB point one day a long while back with you wearing a big camera. I thought you were JWeing. Not though.

I miss JWeing.

2004, Jewing was my original screen name. The mods changed it when the erBb upgraded to its new look. I uploaded a couple of thousand photos before I started replying on the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlicedFeet

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
There's about 200 guys from New Jersey and Texas that disagree with you.
I gave Eddie Rothman a ride to Scorpion Bay from Loreto airport 10 yrs ago and we had a deep conversation about localism and outsiders that try to infiltrate local spots. I told him that I'm from Jersey and have been surfing Windansea/Simmons since 96. He said "You evah receve cracks?" I said no never, I know my place and respect the locals. He then goes on to tell me how he would instruct his NS minions to give "false cracks" to anyone they didn't recognize that would even so look at them the wrong way. I hesitantly asked "how does that work for a guy coming from Philadelphia?" He looked at me with a half grin and a deep stomach gurgle while belching out an incoherent response. That was the closest I probably ever came to a "false crack" without even really knowing it!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I gave Eddie Rothman a ride to Scorpion Bay from Loreto airport 10 yrs ago and we had a deep conversation about localism and outsiders that try to infiltrate local spots. I told him that I'm from Jersey and have been surfing Windansea/Simmons since 96. He said "You evah receve cracks?" I said no never, I know my place and respect the locals. He then goes on to tell me how he would instruct his NS minions to give "false cracks" to anyone they didn't recognize that would even so look at them the wrong way. I hesitantly asked "how does that work for a guy coming from Philadelphia?" He looked at me with a half grin and a deep stomach gurgle while belching out an incoherent response. That was the closest I probably ever came to a "false crack" without even really knowing it!
Hilarious

When I was living in LJ I used to surf the reefs on the regular.

Never had any issue at any of them. Of course, like you, I know my place.

I'm sure it was different back in the day.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
People leave out Eddie was not just part of the Hui. He was a major criminal and ran a syndicate that was destroying the north shore through the 70s-90s.

don’t believe me?

they call him “Fast Eddie” cause no one ever could pin him.

Which makes it even more ridiculous when his dipshit son keeps speaking about “Hawaii is for Hawaiians and not transplants”schtick during his recent campaign for a state Rep seat.

Absolutely wild considering his own pops Eddie is responsible for destroying innumerable local families and substance abuse among native Hawaiians.

I think if people understood the real Eddie Rothman and what he did to Hawaii, people would hate him and Makua would be a nobody.

Side note-Makua same age as me and my entire life he’s always been a huge pussy hiding behind his dad. He’d catch cracks and run home to daddy (a la TJ Barron incident in 2010).

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
People leave out Eddie was not just part of the Hui. He was a major criminal and ran a syndicate that was destroying the north shore through the 70s-90s.

don’t believe me?

they call him “Fast Eddie” cause no one ever could pin him.
Likely they didn't want to - he was an informant.

Reactions: mundus

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Hasley, who recruited the old club, screen printed all of our Windansea gear. The hats, tee shirts, and those "Surf or Die" windbreakers. Bill Andrews was always there too. Steve Shaw, an Attorney, was part of the old club and played a huge role in getting the new club's name copyrighted. Steve wrote the surfboard builders manual, the 1964 and 1969 editions. I was in charge of the competition team, and we put the new club back on the map.
    Surfboard: Surfboard Builders Manual [stephen shaw, jeff adams] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Surfboard: Surfboard Builders Manual
Yeah. I knew Hasley and Thor and the old Wind n' Sea Club folks when I lived with Butch in PB and Larry and Floyd had their shop just up from the PB Pier. Barry Kanaiaupuni showed up about a year later and went to Mission Bay High, I believe.
Thanks Joe ~ :waving:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
One of the strangest stories in surfing, where’d did he pickup the pidgin?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah. I knew Hasley and Thor and the old Wind n' Sea Club folks when I lived with Butch in PB and Larry and Floyd had their shop just up from the PB Pier. Barry Kanaiaupuni showed up about a year later and went to Mission Bay High, I believe.
Thanks Joe ~ :waving:
I read story BK had akward reunion with Butch in SD after a little island style regulation with BK and crew :shrug:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i think i see henry hunte, david eggers, and mike smith

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
His brother, Santiago though...
Back then, he was part of the Surf Club shop.
He lived in the same 4plex, We called him "Santi Aggro". Everytime he would paddle out, there would be an incident. Either a collision or just plain bad manners. He got sent in plenty times, LOL. Sadly, too many times we'd hear fighting inside. More than once going over to see if Janet was ok. Sigh, looking back, would have been good to befriend Fernando.
Last time I saw Santiago was at Playa Hermosa years later. He was enjoying life. That night was some crazy partying and our crew thought it best to scoot from Jaco. Many years have passed since…
That’s a great pic for memories!
Wonder what happened to next door neighbor Gary…
Janet… she was a PhD in physics or something? She had it all going on!

Reactions: Senor Sopa

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
False cracks = intimidation and threats/warnings/directions on leaving but not an actual beating? :shrug:
I have a couple good friends from Philly they are both a little territorial now that I think of it.