Breathholding contest in La Jolla?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
30 seconds is the new record but who’s really counting?

In light of a recent altercation in the water at La Jolla’s Windansea Beach, the San Diego Police Department is increasing its patrols of the area, including having officers work overtime.

The afternoon of Aug. 13, a male surfer and some others in the water got into an argument that led to “throwing some punches” and the surfer being held underwater for “what he estimated was about 30 seconds,” according to San Diego police Officer Brian Avera, who oversees investigations in the department’s Northern Division, which includes La Jolla. The surfer did not give a reason for the argument in his statement to police.

“It was a very dangerous situation,” Avera said. “If anyone has been taken underwater and thought they were going to die, that is going to get our attention.”

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
30 seconds is the new record but who’s really counting?

In light of a recent altercation in the water at La Jolla’s Windansea Beach, the San Diego Police Department is increasing its patrols of the area, including having officers work overtime.

The afternoon of Aug. 13, a male surfer and some others in the water got into an argument that led to “throwing some punches” and the surfer being held underwater for “what he estimated was about 30 seconds,” according to San Diego police Officer Brian Avera, who oversees investigations in the department’s Northern Division, which includes La Jolla. The surfer did not give a reason for the argument in his statement to police.

“It was a very dangerous situation,” Avera said. “If anyone has been taken underwater and thought they were going to die, that is going to get our attention.”
So, where do they go for an in-depth interview, the current president of the Windansea surf club, of course? of all the surf spots north of SMJ's W&S has a gold-plated 50+ year reputation for being un-friendly towards newcomers who can't negotiate the powerful peaks that loom out of the Kelp beds. Looking from Kolmar street, the lineup looks like a vertical clone of Malibu, and when the sets come, it's a washout sh!t show. SOMEBODY has to take charge and send someone to the beach. Hopefully not be injured.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Was the LJ vlog kid involved? Isn't he 1 strike away from being thrown in the state penitentiary for a long time?

Reactions: tacos

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
In the days of yore, when the police had a surfer fight reported, the reaction was typically something like, “Scumbag surfers beating up scumbag surfers. What’s the downside? I need a doughnut.”

I miss those days.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
In the days of yore, when the police had a surfer fight reported, the reaction was typically something like, “Scumbag surfers beating up scumbag surfers. What’s the downside? I need a doughnut.”

I miss those days.
Scumbag surfer on scumbag surfer is the new black on black. The other night we were at the Dodger’s game and Luis Urias homered off of Julio Urias, ‘twas a Urias on Urias crime! :dancing:

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Windanmush is a sorry ass cream puff wave. Let em fight over it.
You can get barrels at wind’n, that middle reef left on decent size days regularly gets 1 to 3 waves at a time connecting and it’s a fcuking freight train. You do wind up taking a few sets on the head though.

The last breathe holding incident I had there was due to an errant lobster trap getting hold of my cord- scared the $hit outta me. The life guard took no notice and did not call the cops.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
If the guy would just assimilate and try to get along :30 is nothing.
How long can you static breath hold? I’m stuck at 3:30
4:18 was my longest (out of water). Did 3:26 in a pool actually underwater. Had a lifeguard jump in on my first try after 2 minutes because he thought I passed out and didn't realize what I was doing. Never a good idea to do it alone but I had my lady friend watching from a chair for some safety. Haven't done it in a few years though. Started again a few weeks ago. Up to 2:52 so far. (I'm not actually an Apnea trainer...have just delved into a few times in the passed. I find it quite therapeutic-minus the almost drowning part.)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Windanmush is a sorry ass cream puff wave. Let em fight over it.
On big souths it has plenty of push, sets can be long (lulls too), and if caught inside it will gas you big time.

Can get decent but one of my least favorite waves on the planet. Picking off the good ones is tough due to the big boards and competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
4:18 was my longest (out of water). Did 3:26 in a pool actually underwater. Had a lifeguard jump in on my first try after 2 minutes because he thought I passed out and didn't realize what I was doing. Never a good idea to do it alone but I had my lady friend watching from a chair for some safety. Haven't done it in a few years though. Started again a few weeks ago. Up to 2:52 so far. (I'm not actually an Apnea trainer...have just delved into a few times in the passed. I find it quite therapeutic-minus the almost drowning part.)
I started Freediving a couple of months ago because the surf this Spring/Summer has been nonexistent and the worst I have ever seen it around these parts. I also thought it would be a good alternative activity since I'm not sure how much longer my shoulders with last. I do a round of tables almost every day. Really dig the apnea training aspect but that choking and possible blackouts is the downside.
Also find that even after surfing 40+ years w/ 17 years at OBSF I feel so much more confident and relaxed in the water now that I have done the Freediving and do the apnea work.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
As a teen I did 5:20 out of water, probably lost a few brain cells in my young breath holding contests.
Just did 2:10 now which was better than I anticipated after 35 years of smoking to add in there.
30 seconds underwater while struggling is an age and don't forget that guy wouldn't know when/if he would be released, oxygen would be depleted in seconds struggling hard. Only a bully would do that.

Reactions: crustBrother

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
My friend & I were exploring SD around 1965 and got invited to a kegger at W&S, must have been Winter only about 20 people, hosted by Mac Meda. We were under 18, good times.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I miss those days.
Yeah, you Ventura pussies have been crying to the cops since the 70s.

We don’t play that sh!t up here. :shameonyou:

Come to Ledbetter sure, but watch your step!