Brawling

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The last "fight" I was in as an adult was on my 21st birthday.

Was out with a friend, it was a weeknight and house music night. We had met a slightly older female at a bar down the street where we had been shooting pool, she went along with us casually to hang out. So the three of us are dancing, I go and sit down at the bar.

A guy who I semi recognized as a ogrely bouncer from another bar in the area (he was probably about 6'5 and 250lbs) comes up and says in my ear, angrily, something to the effect of "if you know what's good for you you'll stay away from her." He's wearing a black wifebeater and clearly supposed to be working.

So I'm kinda puzzled, continue sitting at the bar. My buddy is still dancing with the woman on the dancefloor. At some point a bit later my friend and I are leaving alone...I step out of the front door and the ogre appears in front of me, says "I told you to stay away from her!" and punches me hard enough in the head that I was KO'd flat on my back.

He then apparently ran off somewhere into the night. When I came to I vomited.

That was the only "fight" I've been in as an adult.
Grew up with a friend who was a serious brawler. We would all go to the Catalyst in Santa Cruz to see bands. My friend Ray went to get in fights. Saw him knock this big valley guys teeth out one night. Saw him get his jaw broken and end up with his mouth wired shut on another night.

A couple of the old school locals. They thrived on conflict.

Reactions: gbg

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A whole different vibe though back then.

Punk was big. Mosh pits. You learned respect and how to tread lightly. You had a crew so if you ever had to go big somebody always had your back.

Today everybody lives in this sugar coated fantasy land. There are no consequences these days for being an idiot.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I’m assuming that avatar pic is of you.

You don’t look much like a fighter.

I have a friend that looks and acts like yellow labrador. Always stocked and happy to see you, love playing in the water, big and a bit chubby.

**** him off and he goes full fury without warning.
Be wary of the small and silent.

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I tried to start a fight on my 21rst birthday with 3 big cowboys in Flagstaff. I was drunk. They laughed at me, bought me a beer.

Also in college I got in a bar brawl once. Some guy had my friend Shawn by the hair and was about to smash a bottle on his head. I could have punched him square in the face but decided to grab the bottle and make sure it didn't make contact with my buddy's head. A drunken melee immediately broke out, the whole bar went nuts. Apparently it was a frat boy and his bros quickly came to his aid. Fortunately for Shawn and I, all our sk bumi & mtn bike bros were also in attendance. It was chaos. Everyone was drunk enough that no one really got hurt, but our side won and several frat bros got arrested while we slinked off into the shadowed alleys and to another bar.

Nowadays there are lots of people who know how to fight. I'm not one of them.

Reactions: Leaverite

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
ifallalot would be last person i’d want to get into a fight with these days.

anyways, most of idiots who wanna fight cant fight. too many guns out there too. walk away if u can. i’d only fight if it was the last resort and there’s no other way out.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I tried to start a fight on my 21rst birthday with 3 big cowboys in Flagstaff. I was drunk. They laughed at me, bought me a beer.

Also in college I got in a bar brawl once. Some guy had my friend Shawn by the hair and was about to smash a bottle on his head. I could have punched him square in the face but decided to grab the bottle and make sure it didn't make contact with my buddy's head. A drunken melee immediately broke out, the whole bar went nuts. Apparently it was a frat boy and his bros quickly came to his aid. Fortunately for Shawn and I, all our sk bumi & mtn bike bros were also in attendance. It was chaos. Everyone was drunk enough that no one really got hurt, but our side won and several frat bros got arrested while we slinked off into the shadowed alleys and to another bar.

Nowadays there are lots of people who know how to fight. I'm not one of them.
Friends who had your back.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I have lived here for an eternity.

Dudes. My friend JR is a murderer. He also keeboards regularly at The Hook. 1 step out of the Three steps away. Push his button.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Was still in the Coast Guard and back on East Coast on leave. Was out drinking with a buddy and the bar was closing so we were leaving. Gave some girl a piggyback ride outside. Set her down and started to talk to her for a bit. Suddenly got tackled out of nowhere. Took me a second to realize what was happening. Was able to roll myself up on top of the guy and started banging his head into the ground. We’re in the grass so not doing any damage just wanted him off me. The fuker bites my hand. I jump up and dude takes off. I chase after him. He jumps into a Jeep and locks door. I start banging on glass yelling trying to goat him out. Cops show. Get a summons to appear. Had to hire an attorney since I was heading back to Oahu in a day. My buddy got a bottle to the face so he went in a ambulance. Had to sit around at 3am waiting for a ride with a bloody hand.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Notice how many of these fights involve alcohol.

Regret. How many dumb life changing decisions are made while the decisionmaker is drunk?

Alcohol in general - most of us squeak through unscathed, many of us shouldn't have squeaked through unscathed, and some don't.

Just one of the reasons we're better off without it.

IMHO.

Reactions: Muscles and mundus

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
"Just one of the reasons we're better off without it."

Because 10 % can't handle it?

That is cray cray.

Drinking has many benefits.

Life is risky. be safe but not too safe.

Avoid if you can't handle but figure out if you can handle and then act accordingly.

That is human behavior, how to be an adult 101

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"Just one of the reasons we're better off without it."

Because 10 % can't handle it?

That is cray cray.

Drinking has many benefits.

Life is risky. be safe but not too safe.
There are plenty of people who can handle it - doesn't mean it didn't give them the courage to make really poor choices.

Starting with buzzed or drunk driving, which is pretty common - I would venture to say way more than 10% of us have committed that offense.

Most of us were lucky enough not to kill anyone or get caught.

I'm not saying ban it. I'm just saying it is what it is.

Avoid if you can't handle but figure out if you can handle and then act accordingly.

That is human behavior, how to be an adult 101
Most people don't start drinking as adults, they start as kids.

The unfortunate thing is most of us don't really grasp the gravity of how dumb behavior while drunk can effect you forever... until we're in our mid 20s, long after we've started drinking.

That's human brain development 101.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Most kids are pretty tame now. I work with 18 year olds.

I tell them my stories and they are like" WOW" and I wasn't even as crazy as my crazy friends.

Life is about managing risk.

You don't get good at by playing it safe.

Also, girls give vagina access to successful risk takers.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
tell those chuck norris stories.

i read his book and he sounded like such a nice christian guy, i cant imagine him streetfighting

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most kids are pretty tame now. I work with 18 year olds.

I tell them my stories and they are like" WOW" and I wasn't even as crazy as my crazy friends.

Life is about managing risk.

You don't get good at by playing it safe.

Also, girls give vagina access to successful risk takers.
Most 18 year olds do not look at drinking as risky, nor do many adults. Those 18 year old frontal lobes aren't fully developed yet.

There are other ways to take risks that will grab way more pussy.

Don't you teach at community college?

A lot of those kids are living at home so they don't have the same opportunities as kids who move away for school.

There are plenty of college kids in my neighborhood and they're still getting as fvcked up as ever.

I went to drop off some intoxicants at a place I lived in college and walking in the front door at 11pm on a Saturday night it was EXACTLY the same way as it was 17 years ago. It was uncanny. Alcohol everywhere, the air was green, and there were guys in sunglasses tripping on mushrooms upstairs.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I have been the master at pacing myself. Always had to balance work, school, surf and drinking. Drinking was last. Love my wine but I'm dry most weekdays. I always let my son taste my wine. Every time. At 15 I gave him a beer here and there. I had friends that said this was wrong. Fuck you. Luke is 20 and rarely drinks. He has a beer from time to time and we have some wine when he comes down. He has the most developed wine palette for a 20 year old. I taught him its ok to drink responsibly.

Reactions: Autoprax