Brawling

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
26 or 27 & best shape of my life training Muay Thai regularly. Rarely drink at this point. Decide to go out dancing with an *acquaintance* and a couple girls. I had two drinks over like 4 hours or something. Danced until my shirt was literally soaking through and making her back wet lmao. It’s relevant...

So we’re walking down Garnet st in PB at 2 am (start of every fight story?) and dudes are all walking with their arms wide out chest puffed, it’s so funny to me. This big chick bumps shoulders super hard to the chick I was dancing with and my chick turns and says something like “bitch” or whatever, basically calls her out. Chick storms over and is about to drop my chick so I stand in between and just hold them both back.

One of my rules is I’m not gonna watch someone get killed, and if you know anything about street fights you know it isn’t just trading blows, ‘we scrap brah,’ any one shot could be lethal and it’s not something to fuck with.

So I’m in between em holding each other back all’s well, surprisingly neither is swinging on me. All of a sudden this dude is like hugging me. I’m like, what? I look down and it’s the little Mexican dude with his boy right behind him and I’m just confused. I process real quick and go “oh, I’m not fighting it’s them...” as I look left and right. Somehow both of the chicks had slipped away and as my neck comes to center there’s just a fist straight to my dome from the second dude. I’m instantly on the ground with hugging guy on top of me.

Lesson #1: if they’re touching you, them AND THEIR FRIENDS are knocked out. Ask questions later.

While getting kicked in the face a couple times I start to come to and realize that the dude wasn’t hugging me - he was trying to tackle me and he was just plastered and also tiny.

So I come to after seeing stars and throw in a little mma technique I learned from the literally one MMA class I took when I studied jiu jitsu at 16 years old... which is to lay on your side on your elbow and use your upper leg to keep someone away with push kicks. So I grab this fuckers head and grind it into the concrete under my full weight while I pivot towards the dude kicking me and push kick to his chest to keep him away. Works great, I get three push kicks in as he keeps advancing then getting pushed away.

Lesson 2: don’t use jiu jitsu in a street fight. Get up and run away.

After the third kick about 5 of his friends come up from behind and all start kicking me. I’m just getting destroyed. I make it up once, after 30-45 seconds or more, and get taken down immediately by all of them. It’s too many. I learn to cover up different ways to better defend. It reminds me of being tossed around by a big wave. I think of my *acquaintance*, formerly “friend,” and don’t even bother calling for his help. Maybe I did once. Another thing I’ve learned is you can’t count on your friends in physical conflicts. You just can’t. It isn’t their fault, just human nature to freeze up and be scared. Most people can’t function in these kinds of tense situations. Hundreds of people watching on garnet didn’t do anything. It’s just people.

So I’m down for the second time, another minute plus. Somehow make it up and get put in a choke hold. I wiggle my way free, which was hard. It shouldn’t have been, there’s nothing hard about getting out of a choke hold when their legs aren’t wrapped around you. But I have to emphasize after 3-4? Hours of dancing and getting beat on for 2 minutes I literally was just so exhausted. I get free and have this idea to say “CHILL BRO CHILL!” Or something to trigger the “back off” response in their heads. Like, I’m one of you or something, idk. They all back off and I stumble into the middle of garnet. Missing a shoe, shirt ripped, covered in lumps and blood. Knees, elbows, shoulders, face. I barely stagger away and “run” for my life, which is really a very very slow jog. Walking pace. Down the alley towards Grand.

I’ll post the rest in a sec

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
26 or 27 & best shape of my life training Muay Thai regularly. Rarely drink at this point. Decide to go out dancing with an *acquaintance* and a couple girls. I had two drinks over like 4 hours or something. Danced until my shirt was literally soaking through and making her back wet lmao. It’s relevant...

So we’re walking down Garnet st in PB at 2 am (start of every fight story?) and dudes are all walking with their arms wide out chest puffed, it’s so funny to me. This big chick bumps shoulders super hard to the chick I was dancing with and my chick turns and says something like “bitch” or whatever, basically calls her out. Chick storms over and is about to drop my chick so I stand in between and just hold them both back.

One of my rules is I’m not gonna watch someone get killed, and if you know anything about street fights you know it isn’t just trading blows, ‘we scrap brah,’ any one shot could be lethal and it’s not something to fook with.

So I’m in between em holding each other back all’s well, surprisingly neither is swinging on me. All of a sudden this dude is like hugging me. I’m like, what? I look down and it’s the little Mexican dude with his boy right behind him and I’m just confused. I process real quick and go “oh, I’m not fighting it’s them...” as I look left and right. Somehow both of the chicks had slipped away and as my neck comes to center there’s just a fist straight to my dome from the second dude. I’m instantly on the ground with hugging guy on top of me.

Lesson #1: if they’re touching you, them AND THEIR FRIENDS are knocked out. Ask questions later.

While getting kicked in the face a couple times I start to come to and realize that the dude wasn’t hugging me - he was trying to tackle me and he was just plastered and also tiny.

So I come to after seeing stars and throw in a little mma technique I learned from the literally one MMA class I took when I studied jiu jitsu at 16 years old... which is to lay on your side on your elbow and use your upper leg to keep someone away with push kicks. So I grab this fuckers head and grind it into the concrete under my full weight while I pivot towards the dude kicking me and push kick to his chest to keep him away. Works great, I get three push kicks in as he keeps advancing then getting pushed away.

Lesson 2: don’t use jiu jitsu in a street fight. Get up and run away.

After the third kick about 5 of his friends come up from behind and all start kicking me. I’m just getting destroyed. I make it up once, after 30-45 seconds or more, and get taken down immediately by all of them. It’s too many. I learn to cover up different ways to better defend. It reminds me of being tossed around by a big wave. I think of my *acquaintance*, formerly “friend,” and don’t even bother calling for his help. Maybe I did once. Another thing I’ve learned is you can’t count on your friends in physical conflicts. You just can’t. It isn’t their fault, just human nature to freeze up and be scared. Most people can’t function in these kinds of tense situations. Hundreds of people watching on garnet didn’t do anything. It’s just people.

So I’m down for the second time, another minute plus. Somehow make it up and get put in a choke hold. I wiggle my way free, which was hard. It shouldn’t have been, there’s nothing hard about getting out of a choke hold when their legs aren’t wrapped around you. But I have to emphasize after 3-4? Hours of dancing and getting beat on for 2 minutes I literally was just so exhausted. I get free and have this idea to say “CHILL BRO CHILL!” Or something to trigger the “back off” response in their heads. Like, I’m one of you or something, idk. They all back off and I stumble into the middle of garnet. Missing a shoe, shirt ripped, covered in lumps and blood. Knees, elbows, shoulders, face. I barely stagger away and “run” for my life, which is really a very very slow jog. Walking pace. Down the alley towards Grand.

I’ll post the rest in a sec
So I hobble into IHOP, and ask to use the restroom to clean up. This chick at the counter just looks at me like she’s seeing a ghost and goes “uh huh” with her eyes wide and jaw dropped. I go in, try to wash up, and it’s just too much blood, no use. I decide to walk back to my car which is past the original beatdown place. As I’m walking past I run into my acquaintance who stops me and the police are there. He convinces me to press charges as they have the dude who had me in a choke hold supposedly cuffed against a police car. I walk up, all the cops look at me like “what the fuck who is this bloody psycho?” And I just get in the dudes face and call him a pussy or whatever. He acts hard. I wanted to punch him so bad but chick cop finally processes and goes “OKAY GET AWAY” and gets all coppy on me, has me move away. I promise myself to remember his face. I don’t.

Original chick I was dancing with is there crying, doesn’t wanna press charges (guess the cops were there for the chick fight?) it’s annoying I’m just like fuck it let’s get the fuck out of here. Start walking away, chick is all freaking out like her nails are broken and sh!t. I’m like literally fvcking look at me you asshole. Get back to my car getting looks from all the weekend partygoers. Drive them to their car and go back to the bike/surf shop I worked at to shower. I was living in my car by choice at this point.

I look in the mirror and just am disgusted. I wanna take a pic but it was gross so I didn’t. Just shower, then pass out. Wake up the next morning lumpy as hell. Everything hurts, places are cut I can’t even understand. All the inside of my mouth, etc. I text my Muay Thai coach to see if he has any advice on head injuries, no response. Text an injury prone surfer buddy and he tells me yea should probably get checked out. Urgent care is closed (Sunday), go into ER. They said since it had been 12 hours i didn’t need to worry about brain bleeding as symptoms would have been there by now if there was any. But that the cut above my eye needed stitches.

So as I’m getting stitched up they ask me about the incident and I’m like “sure I’m down to press charges, not trying to pay for this sh!t.” They look into the incident report and keep asking me if it happened near McDonald’s which is like 1 mile from where I was. I’m like, no definitely not. There was no incident report, even tho they had someone in cuffs. Just another stupid fight on garnet I suppose. So that was a good , I think $1800 for three stitches?

That one actually really fvcked me up in the head for a bit. I couldn’t break eye contact with any guy for over a week. Like, if you look at me from across the street I’m staring at you and gettin more angry by the second. It was bad. Even at the restaurant I worked at, I would look at customers. Not in an intimidating way but I couldn’t look away until they did. There weren’t any incidences or anything, it was just fvcked. One time a dude in downtown sd was laughing at me because it was literally across the st and I probably looked ridiculous. Another dude on the boardwalk, some crazy guy, goes “YOU GOT BEEF?” Loudly and indirectly, but it kinda snapped me out of it somehow.

All said in done I learned a lot, and one of the funniest and most frustrating things about the whole situation was that I was literally in the best shape of my life and training Muay Thai regularly and I didn’t even get one punch in. Not one. Something to think about.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yea. Not smart at all. But I grew up in a violent environment. Gnarly bloody fights with my older brother. Dad's ass whippings. I deserved them. I fought 2 guys regularly all through school. I got in a fight at least once a week. I was sick of these two asshats.
I’m assuming that avatar pic is of you.

You don’t look much like a fighter.

I have a friend that looks and acts like yellow labrador. Always stocked and happy to see you, love playing in the water, big and a bit chubby.

**** him off and he goes full fury without warning.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Feel the same way, just not worth it. Most people who've trained a bit have a similar mindset. (y)
I've personally gotten into a few tussles in the surf, bashed one guys head in because he attacked me. Ended up damaging my own hand in the process, making it tough to surf without pain for a while. Now I would rather bitch out than have the same thing happen again.
I’ve had a couple sh!t talking locals (heavily localized spot) in the water try to bait me in but they alway back off when they realize I won’t

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Maybe the same spot I'm thinking. There's a method to getting in there, suiting up and surfing. Getting out, and leaving, they're usually cool. A lot of it changed a few years ago with the "list".

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
When I was a kid I got in two fights. First was when I was in third grade and I won. It made me feel bad because he was a friend but I had to flex my dominance.

Second fight was a rainy day when I was in 8th grade. We were stuck in the gym and I was teasing a 7th grade kid that I knew. His bro didn't realize that so he cold cocked me in the temple and it was on.
I then proceeded to throw haymakers but I broke his puka shell necklace with one.
I then dropped onto him after he hit the ground and started wailing on him only to be pulled up off the little pussy by my hair by the coach. That was the worst damage I got. Left a big bump on my head by the hair pull.

When the dust settled there were puka shells all over the floor and my lip was pinned to my braces and bleeding pretty good. I don't like fighting.

The moral of the story is that I'm a little sawed off sh!t and I can run faster than most so now when the going gets rough I run for the hills.

But if you force me to defend myself these days... shot to the adams apple mf!

Reactions: lagunaboy

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
20 something and a Buddy a mine was having a little going away party at a bar. All the gals were on him and this Ging Marine was drunk and pissed he was getting so much attention. I got on over to said Jarhaid and offered to meet him outside to which he agreed. We got downstairs and he came at me backing me up into a stores accordion doors. Using his momentum I twisted him around and down so his face splattered on the iron spiral handrail of a bench. Now his bloody messed up mug somehow got on top of me but it wasnt long before my buddy shot down and cracked a really heavy table on his back. Then the cops showed up. We were both pretty and he was just a red mess of gobbly gook! Haha

Semper Fi! (and thank you for your service LOL!)

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Maybe the same spot I'm thinking. There's a method to getting in there, suiting up and surfing. Getting out, and leaving, they're usually cool. A lot of it changed a few years ago with the "list".
I know nothing about a list.

I do know this...

Show up solo, suit up on the beach (not at your car), surf a few insiders then paddle way past the pack on the bowl and take the ones that might or might not closeout.

If anyone talks sh!t just agree you’re not a local and you totally get it, but let ‘em know you’re there to surf.

Never once has it got physical and only once it got close. I was a familiar face for a bit but haven’t surfed there in a few years.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Maybe a different spot. I've never seen anyone suit up at their car, but I know you know the spot. If you haven't surfed there in a few years, yeah, there's a list now and they drive in instead of walk from the parking area. Security is bumped up where the hike in area is, so if you walk in, you're taking a very long beach hike to get there (or be extra stealth).

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Long-ass time ago, I was in college and living in I.V., was surfing Campus and Devereaux a lot.
Was surfing Dev's one afternoon and this fvcktard kept burning me, I was taking the high road and not getting pissy about it.
I was going for a wave and said $hithead looks me right in the eyes and turns around and burns me again.
As he was paddling back out I beelined right at him and grabbed him by the hair and pulled him off his board, he got a hold of me and pulled me under, I came up with a windmill and connected with his upper lip, split that sucker so wide I could see his upper teeth and a god awful amount of blood, he yells enough! and paddled in.
This happened in probably 20 seconds time.
That's the only fight I've ever been in except for all those little spats as a little kid/teen.
Never understood the asswipes that go out just to pick fights at clubs.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's probably been like 12yrs. Drunk guy at a party my then-gf was having. Was already fighting with the gf because she was up to her ears in blow and I was in a sour mood. Had to kick this drunk hipster fook out multiple times. Third time I was showing him the door he threw a wild haymaker at me and I didn't even dodge it, he missed by a mile and I just countered with a series of lefts and rights to his face without even thinking. All of my anger with the coked up gf got unloaded on him. Two of her friends that were marines grabbed us both and pushed us through the front door out on the streets where I got the best of him. Not sure he landed a proper punch. A few weeks later I ended up at a brunch with his GF that I didn't recognize and got to have the awkward conversation about how I kicked her BF's ass.

Didn't you get into a fight with an armenian chick???

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Another time my Gals dead Mothers Ex came over with what I called a "Shopping List" to get some of her things. I wouldnt let him in the house and he got pissed. He grabbed my neck and I grabbed his and we danced like that for a couple turns before falling over. Im bigger than him so I just sat on him before help arrived and I got rolled off the little Cowboy.

Thing is...this is a gun guy. You gotta be careful with who you fcuk with

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
In my early 20's and my surf buddy who was fronted quite a bit of Coke and never paid was crashing on my floor. I woke up to some noise and there was the dealer with a knife to my friends throat on the ground. I lunged at him and got a nice slice in the chin. Neighbors were screaming they were calling the cops. It seemed that was enough to scare him off.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Learned my lesson fighting 5 guys in Germany. Best to run away if possible.
Last real fist fight for me was about 20 years ago. Mid January, out surfing a local sandbar. Got out of the water and came back to my truck to find a big, ford van wedged in so close to it on my drivers side I couldn't get at my car keys.

Pissed.

Knew the guy who owned the van and he wasn't even out in the water. Just standing around. Walked up and asked him to move his van so I could open up my car and get my clothes out. He gave me a "Big Fvck You to You". A lot of words exchanged. Went back to my truck and started taking my wetsuit off, at least getting my upper body out of it. Dickhead bum rushed me when i was pulling my arms loose and sucker punched me. Was able to get my arms free. He was wearing sunglasses. Landed a clean shot right into his face, broke his glasses and he got this huge cut from the lens under one eye.

He was bleeding like a pig. Ended up having to leave to go get stitches.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Got in a few altercations at different beaches as a kid, not really fights but me getting beat on. Mostly heavy handed slaps by guys way bigger and older than me at the time. While at UCSB, had my share of punches/elbows/feet to the face during water polo. And, had a roommate who had a groups of friends who would bare knuckle spar. Only had to hang with him a few times and take some solid shots to the face to realize that their fun wasn't my fun. Then, sparred a lot in boxing and muay thai for several years with full protection. Took up jiu jitsu 2 years ago, so total beginner still but like the rounds at open gym.

Funny that someone mentioned grabbing balls. Playing water polo in college, and against European teams, my balls were grabbed fairly often. Still remember one occasion playing Pepperdine, big 6'5" center somehow got a hold of the family jewels and really wanted to do damage. Reared up to my stomach and threw an elbow to the side of his head. He let go, ref ejected me, he had to leave the game because my elbow broke his ear guard on his hat which sliced under his ear open. Ahhh, what a fun game it was!

Would never get in a street fight now. To easy to get shot, knifed, or gang smashed.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A whole new world these days now with cell phone cams.

The fighting days are pretty much over. Now its a lot of angst, whining and if things escalate, maybe some splashing...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The last "fight" I was in as an adult was on my 21st birthday.

Was out with a friend, it was a weeknight and house music night. We had met a slightly older female at a bar down the street where we had been shooting pool, she went along with us casually to hang out. So the three of us are dancing, I go and sit down at the bar.

A guy who I semi recognized as a ogrely bouncer from another bar in the area (he was probably about 6'5 and 250lbs) comes up and says in my ear, angrily, something to the effect of "if you know what's good for you you'll stay away from her." He's wearing a black wifebeater and clearly supposed to be working.

So I'm kinda puzzled, continue sitting at the bar. My buddy is still dancing with the woman on the dancefloor. At some point a bit later my friend and I are leaving alone...I step out of the front door and the ogre appears in front of me, says "I told you to stay away from her!" and punches me hard enough in the head that I was KO'd flat on my back.

He then apparently ran off somewhere into the night. When I came to I vomited.

That was the only "fight" I've been in as an adult.