Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ever watch the formula 1 show on Netflix? I got super curious how the reaction and peripheral vision training may apply to surfing.

Ger is one of those white guys who wishes he was Asian. this is all just a play on Tai chi.
Same as caucasian reggae music with out roots:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
So who’s going to repost some of the vids here for the benefit of the forum? :censored:

Side note: Gerr obviously surfs very well and has great style in the water, but listening to his appearances on podcasts, etc is painful

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I did $terling $pencer’s program and had great results.
His program is by far the best

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
His program is by far the best

Hilarious and very very sad all at the same time

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I think J heard up and coming pro Taro Wantanabe does wave ki and has a very unique but rad, functional, smooth style. I wonder if it has anything to do with waveki or natural talent?

Reactions: Havoc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
So who’s going to repost some of the vids here for the benefit of the forum? :censored:

Side note: Gerr obviously surfs very well and has great style in the water, but listening to his appearances on podcasts, etc is painful
I'll bite -- if only cause childcare duties are quickly degrading my surf game and I wanna relive surfy days for a moment. You gotta break out the magnifying glass for this one. Here's a a turn when I was feeling limber from WaveKi.

Attachments

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
All jokes aside, I have been learning a lot from OMBE surf on YouTube. The coffee cup thing has kinda blown my mind and allowed me to get lower in my surfing, something I’ve struggled with forever being 6’1 and having skinny legs.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
a pal I has been doing it for a year or so - I have been pretty sceptical .on a decent day this winter he pulled a fall out of the sky into the barrel late drop that was pretty mind blowing...he attributed it to waveki and said it has particularly helped with critical drops. Hard to argue with evidence, considering giving it a go.

Reactions: ReForest

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
What’s that?
Imagine holding a coffee cup in your right hand (if you're regular foot) and using that for the ultimate surf balance when you pop up and pump down the line. I've been doing it for about a week and it's crazy how much faster I've been getting up to top speed and turning faster. Then you start seeing it in a lot of surfers, like Andy Irons and Ethan always holding that cup. It really compresses you down, keeps you facing down the line and helps with balance. Amazing simple little trick. First couple surfs I was actually holding an imaginary cup lol, but now I just keep my hand loose.

Here's a short showing it:

Another short, but the surfing sucks:

He kinda explains it here:

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
As you said "coffee cup", I knew the reference link was going to be Clayton :D
His pommy co-star that's always in his videos is a bit annoying, but Clayton does a great job of breaking surfing down into simple analogies you can apply.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah that other guy bugs, but Clayton has some simple things that have worked well for me. The coffee cup, being more compressed on my front foot / light on backfoot until needed and swinging my back arm more on bottom turns. I used to do all these things but to a lesser degree. Having him explain them has made it simpler for me to be more aware of them.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
All jokes aside, I have been learning a lot from OMBE surf on YouTube. The coffee cup thing has kinda blown my mind and allowed me to get lower in my surfing, something I’ve struggled with forever being 6’1 and having skinny legs.
This is me!

Reactions: Havoc