BQN

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Trying to get away for a quick few days of warm surf next week. Flights seemingly only arrive into and leave out of BQN around of after midnight. I'm assuming car rental spots arent open that late...what's the play here?

Apr 18, 2012
NYC
Looks like good waves for the weekend. In my experience, the rental agencies at BQN open when the flights come in, but I haven't rented late night in a few years...

Jul 18, 2018
I haven't been since 2019 but when I last went the rental cars were all open. I think we landed around 4-4:30am and it was all good.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Curious if motorcycle or any other assaults still happen on tourist going from airport to playa:shrug:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Curious if motorcycle or any other assaults still happen on tourist going from airport to playa:shrug:
huh? Never heard of this...I usually fly into san juan and rent a car there and drive over. The flights generally have better times. The drive depending on where you're going isn't too bad.

If you cant get a car at BQN you're out of luck as there's no Uber and taxis can be sparse.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
huh? Never heard of this...I usually fly into san juan and rent a car there and drive over. The flights generally have better times. The drive depending on where you're going isn't too bad.

If you cant get a car at BQN you're out of luck as there's no Uber and taxis can be sparse.
I remember reading/hearing many years ago out of SJ motorcycle attacks on tourist late night but have not heard any thing for several years just curious still happen.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I remember reading/hearing many years ago out of SJ motorcycle attacks on tourist late night but have not heard any thing for several years just curious still happen.
I don't like going around late night in SJ at all. For those who don't know stoplights at night in PR function as a stop sign. If there's no cars blow through or stop and proceed for your own safety!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Trying to get away for a quick few days of warm surf next week. Flights seemingly only arrive into and leave out of BQN around of after midnight. I'm assuming car rental spots arent open that late...what's the play here?
Charlie Car is the best rental at that airport. Great to deal with as car rental agencies go. Yes, they will be open when you arrive in the middle of the night.

I wish there were flights into and out of that airport at normal times. I also wish there were direct flights. My last two trips I stayed within 10 minutes of BQN but flew into San Juan because of the flight situation. I can fly spirit direct to San Juan and have normal flight times. With BQN I'd fly to Fort Lauderdale have a long layover and get on another plane to land at BQN in the middle of the night. I don't trust switching planes when travelling with boardbags and not a fan of long layovers and arriving in the middle of the night. The downside with flying into San Juan is the two and a half hour drive in bad traffic to the NorthWest coast.

Last edited:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

Yeah. All of the flights I have taken into BQN arrived nearly at the same time--4:00 am-- and the airport was a zoo because two big flights from Florida had arrived at the same time. Spirit and Jetblue arrived almost simultaneously. Car reservations are hit or miss. Maybe they have your car, maybe not. One example: a good friend and I took our sons. We reserved a minivan so we could stuff all the boards inside. No minivans or big vehicles to be found. They offered me two toyota corollas for the same price. Then there is the problem re: your accommodations. Some places handle the late arrival well, some do not. Assume when you fly in-- if you are arriving early in the morning--that you won't get a bed that night. With all due respect to the Ricans, most of them don't really care. Your problem.

And because the flights arrived there at 4:00 am, you will need to be back at the airport around the same time on your return.

I haven't flown to BQN for years because of this nonsense. I fly to San Juan, get there at a reasonable hour, get the rental car I want, and drive two hours to Aguadilla. Maybe hang out in San Juan and party. No way will I ever fly back into that effed up airport.