Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
:shrug:
7" TA bonzer 5.75" tail:
5'6 Bumblebee 5 fin
7'1" Semi gun 5 fin
8' ewing log 5 fin
All went both frontside and backside and shined in 5th gear:shaka:
Yeah my MLV worked with all three at 5 3/4 to 6. Depends on the rider, stance etc. I had an octafish that nothing worked in - just felt slow and boggy.

Reactions: wilco

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Anybody ever try a 5-1/2" center?
Yup. I’m stubborn sometimes. Did that with my very first five fin. You can make it work, but you start losing drive. For years I’ve been threatening to take the side fins and increase size and shrink the center fin all the way down to around thruster size. I’ve wanted to do that for a long time. I even did the math, made templates modified the cluster and mapped it out. It would be a ton of work unless you got lucky first try. I don’t have the time anymore. I’d need time and multiple test pilots. Never going to happen. Maybe someone else will give it a go.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yup. I’m stubborn sometimes. Did that with my very first five fin. You can make it work, but you start losing drive. For years I’ve been threatening to take the side fins and increase size and shrink the center fin all the way down to around thruster size. I’ve wanted to do that for a long time. I even did the math, made templates modified the cluster and mapped it out. It would be a ton of work unless you got lucky first try. I don’t have the time anymore. I’d need time and multiple test pilots. Never going to happen. Maybe someone else will give it a go.
Seems like for me a least would've been easier to get MC to shape you a thruster :shrug: Once saw this MC shaped single he did a little under 7' looked pretty sweet but if I am having MC shape me a board its going to be a bonzer bottom regardless how many fins:waving:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I screwed up a cut and we had the blank sitting around. It was a custom order and the customer‘s dimensions were not going to happen. So it’s my new butt-tail five fin Bonzer. I’m pretty stoked. It’s good to be rewarded for screwing up. I should do it more often.

Sep 9, 2008
Got a Malcom shaped eps/epoxy MB5 and dinged it yesterday……damn…guess they are stronger dan pu but definitely not bulletproof….

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
How did this board turn out? Looks like such a fun shape.
Funny thing is, with my fathers passing and all I kind of forgot about that board. Not much time for surfing lately. But I got back in the water today and coincidentally Malcolm just texted me that the board should be ready by Friday. I’ve been so distracted I didn’t even give them glassing instructions. Malcolm must have taken care of it. Give me a week or two and I’ll report back!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Got a Malcom shaped eps/epoxy MB5 and dinged it yesterday……damn…guess they are stronger dan pu but definitely not bulletproof….
Its all about the glass and schedule less about material when it comes to bullet proof. My AO 6/4 6 s glass pu/epoxy has only two pressure dings water tight after taking two good hits same wave:shaka:

Reactions: wilco