**BONZER THREAD 2014**

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
How do you like you AO? What are your thoughts on the board?
What type/size waves does it perform well in?
Would you compare it to a Rocket Fish/high performance fish type surfboard?
52 years
5'8" 170#
AO 5'8" x19.5" x2.375"
I ordered my AO hoping to cover mid to oh+ travel board one board quiver but like most bonzers needs a wave with some push. From 3'-8' reef or beach break she runs like a bat flyin' out of hell fastest board in my quiver. One thing must get back foot over fin cluster then she obeys your commands but with fins forward takes a bit of getting use to. As far as fish etc no idea don't ride fish shapes love twins

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

Sep 9, 2008
Need some advice for a firsttime bonzer rider.

I just bought a 6’2 x 21 1/8 x 2 7/8 bumblebee B5. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a centrefin. I am 6 ft and about 88 kg (194 lbs). What size centrefin should i get? A 6.5, 6.75 or 7 ? Which fin would you prefer in smaller waves?

Thanks for your help!! Hope to give the BB a go soon!!

Sep 9, 2008
I'd go 7 - hell you might even need bigger. BB has a wide tail. Start at 5 3/4 and adjust from there.
Thanks!! Already found a 7. Gonna have a look if i can find a bigger one! Any preference what fin to use for smaller waves and what fin for bigger waves?

Reactions: Bman76

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The 7" fin is generally speaking the largest Campbell Brothers designed center Bonzer fin available. There is a vary rarely seen 8" but I don't think I have seen one made in over a decade. I'd start with the 7" There are some 6 3/4" fins floating around, but as I remember those were supposed to have been 7" fins (that's what they were ordered as) only when someone put a tape on them, they were a 1/4" short. Thus was born the 6 3/4".

Sep 9, 2008
I’ve only found a bonzer fin by captain fin co. that was bigger then 7”. True ames biggest is 7” when i look at their website.
Would an average surfer notice much difference in the 7 and 6 3/4? Which one would work better in smaller/bigger waves?

Thanks so far for the info!! Really appreciate it!

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I’ve only found a bonzer fin by captain fin co. that was bigger then 7”. True ames biggest is 7” when i look at their website.
Would an average surfer notice much difference in the 7 and 6 3/4? Which one would work better in smaller/bigger waves?

I'm much smaller than you and have ridden a 5'6 BB and a 5'9 - both liked a 7 inch in smaller surf. In bigger surf, sometimes i'd throw in a 7 Greenough or I had a guy make me an 8 inch bamboo bonzer fin. Personally, I do think the upright wide base fins work in that design really well. Ride the 7 in everything for a month - adjust the placement depending on feel and go from there. get one of those screws you can adjust in the water.

Reactions: wilco

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

I'm about the same size as you (although ten pounds fatter than you at the moment :mad: )and I ride a BB close to the same dimensions. I would plug a 7" in that thing and never look back. Keep in mind sliding the fin back or forward as little as 1/8" can make a difference. In Hawaii, 7" center fin on everything. I stuck a 6.5" on a 7'6" Sunset board one time because I couldn't accept a 7" fin on a tail that narrow. Big mistake. The board worked great with a 7" fin. The other one, not so much. I've had a couple of outliers, like one which was a 6'2" Egg with an e-wing and a baby swallow tail. It worked great with a 6" fin. With the bigger fins, it was too stiff. Never did figure that one out. But the standard original MC fins were 6, 6.5, and 7. There was an old 8" which I think I got on a special run from Rainbow fin Co. I used it once. I was riding this tiny, round, flat bar of soap thing and I showed up and this outside reef was detonating. Wrong board. But with the 8" fin in there, I made it work. It was worth the buy for that one session.

There's nothing wrong with doing the fin in 6 3/4" and 7+whatever. IMHO. Stretch the template out a little or shrink it down. But for your purposes, I would just get a 7" one from TA and play with moving it back and forth. If you can't make it work it may just not be your cup of tea as they say.

Sep 9, 2008
Thanks all for your help!! I think i gonna stick with the 7 fin for a while and look how the BB goes with it. Maybe look for a 6.75 as a spare fin if i can find a used one..

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Is anybody else having trouble accessing the Campbell Bros website? The Bonzer5.com linky I usually use is no worky.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I still fail to understand the 6.5” vs 7” choice given how much fore/aft in the box affects things.

I’ve never tried anytbjbg but moving around the 6’5” fin in my egg b5 by GH.

going 7” would increase hold and drive, while stiffening things up?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Is anybody else having trouble accessing the Campbell Bros website? The Bonzer5.com linky I usually use is no worky.
They're aware of the problem and they are working on it. As most of you know, Malcolm's son passed fairly recently. Something like that can set things back a bit. They may need professional help to get the website buck up and running. I've got pages of custom Bonzer orders I need to cut, but since my father passed my productivity level has taken a little hit. I'm trying to rev myself up this morning to get productive, but honestly, I'm having trouble with that. I'm honestly having trouble with the question of if I am even a surfer anymore. Maybe when the sun comes out. But this is TMI. Be patient and things will get back to normal soon. Does anyone else find this marine layer crap depressing? Pray for sunshine and a run of glassy surf.

I think what I really need is to go someplace warm with some clean little uncrowded waves. See if I can find myself. I'm not even sure that place exists anymore honestly.

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I got a 7 inch from DRD4 for my 8' Bonzer5 and seemed a bit non loose so I put fin that came with it back on. Its a 6.75 I think and seems to go better but who knows maybe i just think it does.

That board def likes beach breaks and faster waves