**BONZER THREAD 2014**

Jul 20, 2008
I 5'8" 170# 51 years old have a 8' x22 x2.75 ewing pin tail mini log 5 fin (7" TA bonzer) pu/epoxy 6/6 6 s glass. I love and can surf from 1' to oh+ beach break and do cheater fives and even some what 10 cheats but the speed in trim 5th gear is insane. I can drop into a 2' close out at local beach break and end up 25' down the beach:shaka: The ewing with pintail allows for 8' of rail to turn in the steepest of sections and board can be easily put in edge even on smallest of wave faces but again trim and turbo is really what this board is about.
Wow!! I was looking at pics of this board on another thread and it's what prompted me to ask on this thread. I am also 5'8 170# and just turned 50 on 4/20 Lol. How does she turn/cutbacks? I would imagine like any 5fin but how does the swing weight feel? Beauty!!!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Wow!! I was looking at pics of this board on another thread and it's what prompted me to ask on this thread. I am also 5'8 170# and just turned 50 on 4/20 Lol. How does she turn/cutbacks? I would imagine like any 5fin but how does the swing weight feel? Beauty!!!
The log I used before was a 9' single pintail 50/50 nose rider heavy glass you put your weight into to turn so when I got my ewing log (learning curve) I went over the handle bars first few waves and found with ease and very little pressure could put her on rail and board has plenty of rail and fin to keep on/in trim in steepest of waves. Ewing log is another MC bonzer that can grovel and ride good surf. Most bonzers I have rode only shine on good steep tubing waves and hate mush. Just wanted to add when I decided on ewing log one thing won me over is board description on bonzer site and how MC borrowed Billy Hamilton's template. Have you ever seen BH turn brycor564? It ain't nothin' like his step son stink bug sh!t:)

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I 5'8" 170# 51 years old have a 8' x22 x2.75 ewing pin tail mini log 5 fin (7" TA bonzer) pu/epoxy 6/6 6 s glass. I love and can surf from 1' to oh+ beach break and do cheater fives and even some what 10 cheats but the speed in trim 5th gear is insane. I can drop into a 2' close out at local beach break and end up 25' down the beach:shaka: The ewing with pintail allows for 8' of rail to turn in the steepest of sections and board can be easily put in edge even on smallest of wave faces but again trim and turbo is really what this board is about.
An EPS/Epoxy one sounds so good.
Love my 8' B/5 E-wing with nose brought in a tad

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
An EPS/Epoxy one sounds so good.
Love my 8' B/5 E-wing with nose brought in a tad
I was going to go xps/epoxy for my AO but patgucci xps blank machine was down and marko had long wait so again went pu/epoxy s glass 6/4 6. Also recently (lazt board) was going to go speed egg 6'3(?) X20" x2.5" with alpha omega bottom and twin set up (maybe glass on) but line for custom scared me off and I had my other shaper shape me mid twin with other flavor. Hey grg is your ewing log shape with speed egg nose or speed egg?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Is the russ short meant to be a big board? thinking of getting a 7’ something

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Knost rides them big. Please don't use this for some pen*s metaphor...I think they are meant to be ridden longer. Geez, i'm really not helping am I?

• Haha
Reactions: rts265

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Rts265 I think they are meant to be a solid daily driver that like almost all bonzers needs a wave with push to go and suks for mush. I would go with confort level and for me it would be 6'1"-6'3 x19" x2.5" more of a step up like board but if you brought it beach still have fun but if conditions firing you would be set "Swish Army" great 1/2 board travel board.

Mar 1, 2020
Hey B-Man,

I'm only able to offer a limited rundown. The Pod is 5'10" and was probably my favorite of the bunch for slower, fattish waves. It didn't go rail to rail quite nearly as fast as the Octafish or my AO Twin, but was so smooth and buttery on a slopey burger. Just something about that rocker profile and round tail that made it so much fun to ride.

The Octafish is better suited to the beach breaks I'm usually riding.

I've since sold the Pod to pay for my 7'2" Gibbons widow maker and a deposit on an Egg from Malcolm, 6'6".

:cheers:
Are the rails on the Octafish foiled out or does it have volume in the rails similar to the egg?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The rails are a bit more foiled than the egg. Recently pulled the rails down slightly on all the O-fish files. You can get what you want with a custom order. Tell him you want the rails a little more foiled and voila. Done.

And the Russ Short can easily be HP shortboard size. As can the egg for that matter. Doesn't have to be longer at all. There are surprising amounts of volume in that design.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Just finished about 7 stockers for Ventura Surf Shop. Got another four longboards or so to go. More blanks on the way. So in about 6-8 weeks there should be a fresh batch in there.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
6-8 weeks!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What about the custom I ordered 4 months ago!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Uhhh... I was kind of hoping glassing was clearing out a little? lol!

Legit, is it four months? Did you order it direct from Malcolm or did it go through VSS? Yesterday I got sent out to comb through order forms/blanks to find an order that slipped through the cracks. I was eventually able to figure out that it had been cut and finished out. Malcolm was looking for the board in glassing. Maybe it's yours? What did you order? Yesterdays gone girl was a VSS order.

FYI, I get shop custom orders where on the order form these idiots have a model, a complicated color scheme, complicated glassing instructions, and missing dimensions. "I've been surfing 30 years. I rip solid beach break bro. I weigh 170 pounds and I am built like a Greek God. I want a 5'11" Shelter model. Do whatever you think is right for the width and thickness. Or call me Bro." WTF? Those orders pile up. Because nobody wants kill half a day talking to this retard as the piece work is piling up. How do you go on for a paragraph about yourself and then not have a rough idea on width and thickness? I don't get it. This is general information by the way. Not targeted at anyone. If you order custom boards with incomplete dimensions... expect delays. The above is only this author's opinion. No surfers were harmed in the making of this rant. Although I can think of at least two that need killing. ;)

PM me and I'll see what I can find out.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Uhhh... I was kind of hoping glassing was clearing out a little? lol!

Legit, is it four months? Did you order it direct from Malcolm or did it go through VSS? Yesterday I got sent out to comb through order forms/blanks to find an order that slipped through the cracks. I was eventually able to figure out that it had been cut and finished out. Malcolm was looking for the board in glassing. Maybe it's yours? What did you order? Yesterdays gone girl was a VSS order.

FYI, I get shop custom orders where on the order form these idiots have a model, a complicated color scheme, complicated glassing instructions, and missing dimensions. "I've been surfing 30 years. I rip solid beach break bro. I weigh 170 pounds and I am built like a Greek God. I want a 5'11" Shelter model. Do whatever you think is right for the width and thickness. Or call me Bro." WTF? Those orders pile up. Because nobody wants kill half a day talking to this retard as the piece work is piling up. How do you go on for a paragraph about yourself and then not have a rough idea on width and thickness? I don't get it. This is general information by the way. Not targeted at anyone. If you order custom boards with incomplete dimensions... expect delays. The above is only this author's opinion. No surfers were harmed in the making of this rant. Although I can think of at least two that need killing. ;)

PM me and I'll see what I can find out.
I was kidding. I don't have an order with Malcom.

My apologies if I went too far with the humor. :drowning:

I do appreciate the offer to figure out the status though :cheers:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Mine has been at the glasser for like 7 weeks. I might have to check in with Malcolm soon.

edit: I’m not complaining

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
already got that last winter. this ones a 6’10 egg. I’m gonna have to get another order in if I want to get me a big ass RS for fall
You go epoxy? My AO pre covid took some time at glass with pu and epoxy and color I think 12 weeks if I remember right but worth it :shaka: