**BONZER THREAD 2014**

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I need the advice of the bonzer collective. Let me preface this by saying that the Octafish is one of my all-time favorite designs I’ve had in nearly 30 years of surfing...if I had to, I would be content to have just an Octafish.
That said, I have an opportunity to score a new-to-me, essentially unridden, 5’10” Octafish in identical dims to my original, magic Octafish that I got back in 2013-20 3/4x2 1/2. Light grey tint, 101 side fins...the price is more than fair.
On the other hand, my local shop has a 6’0” Alpha Omega on the rack. New board, new board price...clear w/ Futures. I have never ridden an A/O...dims look right-20 1/4x2 9/16.
Should I stick w/ the tried & true or branch out & try something fresh? Board would fill the “daily driver” type slot in my quiver.
The AO is a daily driver alright but of a different kind a slippery bat from hell speed no middle fin kind so if you are a thruster guy ya might want to think about it octafish. I ride all quads as dd etc so easy transition for me but since September I have not been able to put my AO down:) love it..

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
I need the advice of the bonzer collective. Let me preface this by saying that the Octafish is one of my all-time favorite designs I’ve had in nearly 30 years of surfing...if I had to, I would be content to have just an Octafish.
That said, I have an opportunity to score a new-to-me, essentially unridden, 5’10” Octafish in identical dims to my original, magic Octafish that I got back in 2013-20 3/4x2 1/2. Light grey tint, 101 side fins...the price is more than fair.
On the other hand, my local shop has a 6’0” Alpha Omega on the rack. New board, new board price...clear w/ Futures. I have never ridden an A/O...dims look right-20 1/4x2 9/16.
Should I stick w/ the tried & true or branch out & try something fresh? Board would fill the “daily driver” type slot in my quiver.
Ive never ridden a AO but I can tell just by looking at one and holding one that's its not for me. Im also a used board junkie so Id be going the Octa route for sure. I hate buyers remorse on a brand new board that doesnt feel right. Im sure used AO are extremely few and far between too. Guess Im not much help.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
You've gotta try something different! That's the CB magic. You don't hear too many (if any) bad AO reviews.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I picked up a used CI Biscuit Bonzer on Saturday. Rode it on Sunday, in mostly closeouts, but had a few moments of open space, where I was able to hit 5th gear.

I've had a Biscuit before, which I loved, and have always been a Bonzer fan, so I figure it's gonna be a good combo for me. Stoked!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I picked up a used CI Biscuit Bonzer on Saturday. Rode it on Sunday, in mostly closeouts, but had a few moments of open space, where I was able to hit 5th gear.

I've had a Biscuit before, which I loved, and have always been a Bonzer fan, so I figure it's gonna be a good combo for me. Stoked!
No pics no biscuit

No pics no biscuit:)

Reactions: Tanner

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
You've gotta try something different! That's the CB magic. You don't hear too many (if any) bad AO reviews.
I think this is the way I’m leaning...I had a magic MR style twin+trailer when I was in my teens back in the late 90s & have always had a soft spot for the design...we rarely see A/Os here on the east coast-new or used.
I’m definitely not a thruster guy, I’ve spent a ton of time on twin & quad fish (I know the A/O is not like a fish), so not having a center fin won’t be a negative even though I have extensive time on bonzers.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think this is the way I’m leaning...I had a magic MR style twin+trailer when I was in my teens back in the late 90s & have always had a soft spot for the design...we rarely see A/Os here on the east coast-new or used.
I’m definitely not a thruster guy, I’ve spent a ton of time on twin & quad fish (I know the A/O is not like a fish), so not having a center fin won’t be a negative even though I have extensive time on bonzers.
AO=bonzer speed on meth or with out the control:)

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I've been thinking more and more about getting one. Or maybe the same outline and mlv bottom but with the bonzer 3 setup.Keen to hear how it goes.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Heres one I sold years ago. A 6'10 step up for good waves I had custom shaped. Of all the Bonzers Ive had this was my least favorite. I wanted it for trips so I ordered the runners with the old Red X fin system. No matter how many times I tried, I could never get the fins dialed in. Used a square and everything else but they never felt right. Also it was in the first batch of Bonzers from this particular glass shop and the foam sucked up a huge amount of resin and the concaves yellowed really fast because of the excess resin. Made it pretty damn heavy and I like a heavier board but...Sold it to a guy who was headed to G land I believe so hopefully it went well there.DSC00069 (2).JPGDSC00070 (2).JPG

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Heres one I sold years ago. A 6'10 step up for good waves I had custom shaped. Of all the Bonzers Ive had this was my least favorite. I wanted it for trips so I ordered the runners with the old Red X fin system. No matter how many times I tried, I could never get the fins dialed in. Used a square and everything else but they never felt right. Also it was in the first batch of Bonzers from this particular glass shop and the foam sucked up a huge amount of resin and the concaves yellowed really fast because of the excess resin. Made it pretty damn heavy and I like a heavier board but...Sold it to a guy who was headed to G land I believe so hopefully it went well there.View attachment 84716View attachment 84719
It's probably just my perception but, the fin placement looks like they're too far inside of the rail and maybe a little too high from the tail. Compare it to your pic of the Octafish. I realize this board is a step up with a narrow tail but something about it doesn't look right. iiXNduv.gif

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
It's probably just my perception but, the fin placement looks like they're too far inside of the rail and maybe a little too high from the tail. Compare it to your pic of the Octafish. I realize this board is a step up with a narrow tail but something about it doesn't look right. View attachment 84738
I see what your saying. Definitely look farther inside the rail. Maybe that was the issue. Like I said, I got the square out and triple checked em numerous times. Believe I set the center fin where Malcolm recommends and based the runners position off of that. Tried a few different things but never felt right. Malcolm told me that Watermans Guild was up to speed on the glassing of them but that this was in their first batch of Bonzers. Don't think they did very many more. You can kind of see how yellowed it is from the beginning of the concaves to the tail. It was very tail heavy. Oh well, hope the guy who bought it got it dialed.

Jul 20, 2008
Looking for some advice on what model will complement my 6'8" B5 Egg. I keep going back a forth between the Octafish, Bumblebee and the Mini B5.

Attachments

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Looking for some advice on what model will complement my 6'8" B5 Egg. I keep going back a forth between the Octafish, Bumblebee and the Mini B5.
Guess it depends what waves and how you surf. MLV is a really solid board that performs in sub par all the way up to head high. The BB is a zippy little package, but like a wave with curve. And don't discount the biscuit bonzer - that thing is insanely good.

Jul 20, 2008
I'm thinking that I'd want a model that pretty much handles the same type of waves as the Egg but in a tighter package. Waist to OH surf and mediocre to really good conditions. I don't want a smaller egg, I want something different.

Reactions: Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
BB, MLV, MB5, BiscuitBonzer - i think they're in that zone - especially sized down with adequate foam. The Octafish has been the only bonzer i didn't like, but plenty do! Can you borrow someone's? Any erbbers in your area that'll share?

Jul 20, 2008
Does the Octafish and Bumblebee have the same DNA but with obviously different tail shape? Looking at hundreds of pictures and comparing every other aspect they look the same. First 2/3's (nose to middle) look identical and the last 3rd section (tail) is the only difference I can see. I've never seen either one in person so am I wrong for thinking this? Is deciding between the two a matter of tail shape preference?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Does the Octafish and Bumblebee have the same DNA but with obviously different tail shape? Looking at hundreds of pictures and comparing every other aspect they look the same. First 2/3's (nose to middle) look identical and the last 3rd section (tail) is the only difference I can see. I've never seen either one in person so am I wrong for thinking this? Is deciding between the two a matter of tail shape preference?
The Bumblebee is a replica of one of the shapes that Duncan and I rode between 1973 and 1978. It is designed to be ridden shorter than the average board. It has a wide arc tail, about 9 1/4″ to 10 1/4″ from corner to corner. Most people ride them the same size you would ride a “fish”. The Bumblebee rides equally well frontside and backside. It is very fast and works in a wide variety of waves.

Recommended size

5’6″ x 20 3/4″ x 2 5/8″
to
6’5″ x 22″ x 3″

The Octafish is “Not a Fish”. It looks a bit like a Fish, but has a wider range of performance. The Octafish features the Elevated Wing. The E-Wing is a design innovation created by Max McDonald. We have incorporated it in many of our shapes since 1988.The E-Wing enables the Octafish to get up and down the wave face more vertically and quickly than a traditional Fish. Powered by the Bonzer 5 fin system, this board surfs equally well frontside and backside. The Octafish bridges the gap between a fish and a contemporary shortboard, and has great all-around small to medium wave performance.

Recommended size

5’6″ x 20 3/4″ x 2 5/8″
to
6’5″ x 22″ x 3″