**BONZER THREAD 2014**

lefty

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 14, 2002
CALL-FOR-ENTRIES-v2.website.jpg

2023 CALL FOR ENTRIES – BEST IN SHOW – BONZER

It was 50 years ago, in 1973, that two forward-thinking, creative brothers from Oxnard, Ca., Malcolm and Duncan Campbell, licensed their groundbreaking Bonzer design to Bing Copeland and Bing Surfboards.
Past winners of Best In Show include Ryan Sakal, Renny Yater, Pat Rawson, Gary Linden, Dane Hantz, Stu Kenson, Donald Brink, John Simon, Barry Snyder and many others.
The Boardroom’s Best In Show board build-off is free to enter and open to any board builder worldwide with cash & prizes totaling $3500.

CALL FOR ENTRIES
  1. Send us an email (←click here) announcing your participation in BEST IN SHOW — BONZER .
  2. Build your board
  3. On Friday OCTOBER 6, @11AM bring three items
    a) your Best In Show board entry
    b) a vertical surfboard stand
    c) a 3.5″ x 5″ informational proof of concept write-up that explains to the judges everything about your board and the finer details of the build process.
  4. The board will be on display at The Boardroom Surfboard Show October 7 & 8, 2023
JUDGING
Your board will be judged BY THE BONZER BROTHERS Malcom and Duncan Campbell using these criteria listed below:
1) BOARD MUST BE EITHER A 3 OR 5 FIN
2) DOUBLE CONCAVE THROUGH THE FIN AREA
2) CREATIVITY, FUNCTIONALITY, AND CONSTRUCTION
The quality of the craftsmanship from nose to tail including but not limited to shape, lamination, artwork, sand and finish. Every aspect of the craftsmanship must be top quality and will be scrutinized.
PRIZES
The 1st place winning Best In Show will receive $1K cash, a complimentary 10′ x 10′ booth at the 2024 Boardroom Surfboard Show presented by US Blanks = $2K value in cash and prizes.
The 2nd place Best In Show will receive $500 and a complimentary 10′ x 10′ booth at the 2024 Boardroom Surfboard Show presented by US Blanks = $1500 value in cash and prizes

Reactions: YakAk and sushipop

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not necessarily. Malcom's comments are that if it's a shortboard, then get it in your same dims. If that's more of a step up for you, then it could be a great idea too. Is it a Campbell Bros?
Its a Cambell Bros shaped by Malcom. Its knifey and longer than what i would normally ride, but it looks pretty nice! Good price too.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
7'4 x 20 3/4 x 2 11/16 CB Russ Short swallowtail b5 custom from Malcolm

Studio 609 handled the glass and art part

F^%$in Stocked

View attachment 157596View attachment 157597
I would be happy to pick that up in ventura and bring it to RI when I'm out there in August. I wouldn't ride it.....at all....i swear....more than a dozen times....

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can someone explain the idea behind and, more importantly, the feel of riding a board with the alpha omega concaves. I've noticed they put them on both the twin fins and the 3 fin, but not the five.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ok Duffy, maybe you can answer my question- what is the thinking behind the side channels? How do they feel when riding? Are they a control or release feature? The ones on this board seem wider than others I've seen (in pics), but maybe that is just the gloss distorting the view.
The gloss is distorting the view. The board above it (blue round tail twin) has basically the same bottom contours.

You’d have to ask Malcom (or Sharky) to verify what i think they do…

I think they create suction along the rail for more hold and when applying the rail through a turn the way they channel water to the fin make board go fast.

These boards are so fuckking fast when all the stars align. The first time I rode one I was thinking, “this thing is fast” as in like twin fin speed fast.

Then I caught a good sized hollowish point break runner, had my feet right, drew out the bottom turn a litter longer and had a “holy sh!t!” moment. It was like after burners on a fighter jet, but liquid.

I want to say another gear but is was more like another thing all together.

These are my go to boards when the surf is good. There’s nothing else like them but they are very unforgiving of rider mistakes.

Reactions: kpd73 and One-Off
Mar 15, 2022
The gloss is distorting the view. The board above it (blue round tail twin) has basically the same bottom contours.

You’d have to ask Malcom (or Sharky) to verify what i think they do…

I think they create suction along the rail for more hold and when applying the rail through a turn the way they channel water to the fin make board go fast.

These boards are so fuckking fast when all the stars align. The first time I rode one I was thinking, “this thing is fast” as in like twin fin speed fast.

Then I caught a good sized hollowish point break runner, had my feet right, drew out the bottom turn a litter longer and had a “holy sh!t!” moment. It was like after burners on a fighter jet, but liquid.

I want to say another gear but is was more like another thing all together.

These are my go to boards when the surf is good. There’s nothing else like them but they are very unforgiving of rider mistakes.
This is my understanding as well!

I picked up my Bonzer during the winter and have taken it out several times. The days I’ve had it out have been good but not great. I have gotten a few waves that have showed me what potential this board has.

Malcom told me when I picked it up from him that
it needs waves with some juice. It won’t grovel.

One thing I have noticed about it is that it will bog down sometimes when I try to get around some long sections of white water. Also the board really feels smooth surfing top to bottom. A real classic feel.

Last edited:

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Can someone explain the idea behind and, more importantly, the feel of riding a board with the alpha omega concaves. I've noticed they put them on both the twin fins and the 3 fin, but not the five.
The light vehicle bottom. I had an MLV for years and rode it against 5 fins and 3 fins with the traditional bottom contours. The MLV was really slippery but in a good way. It felt super drivey, but never tracked. For my mind the light vehicle bottom creates a really lively feel in bonzers. That board always felt like it was gliding and sliding and then rip through turns. I believe Malcolm will add them to any board these days.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thanks for those descriptions. I think I can imagine how it would be "slippery" until you put it on rail and get the water running through the channel. Do they ride OK from a forward position or do you have to have your foot over the fins?

Malcom told me when I picked it up from him that
it needs waves with some juice. It won’t grovel.
I wonder if that has more to do with the shape? Although Duffy says it's his go-to for good waves.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for those descriptions. I think I can imagine how it would be "slippery" until you put it on rail and get the water running through the channel. Do they ride OK from a forward position or do you have to have your foot over the fins?

I wonder if that has more to do with the shape? Although Duffy says it's his go-to for good waves.
The mlv rode really well from the middle and you could drop the back foot to hit a sharper turn. Rocker and shape for sure. The MLV will grovel. Those alpha omegas are race cars.

Reactions: OsideBum
Mar 15, 2022
The mlv rode really well from the middle and you could drop the back foot to hit a sharper turn. Rocker and shape for sure. The MLV will grovel. Those alpha omegas are race cars.
I totally agree with this. I have an AO with three fins and it really feels like I am surfing it from the middle of the board. I feel like it naturally draws a high line. It's also very fast, I can imagine that the AO twin is even faster.

On a side note... I plan on taking this board to Indonesia with me and I can't wait to see how it surfs in really good long steep waves.

Reactions: Bman76