**BONZER THREAD 2014**

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I had a 5'2 biscuit bonzer - excellent grovel board. I'd get another, but would want 5'4 or 5'6. So what size biscuit bonzer is it? Have you tried a 7 inch fin? I don't really get how a trailer would work or give you any drive other than a fin less feeling. Mind you, I had an octafish that felt like that and nothing worked. Weird.

Just got this: 5'8 Bumblebee. Super fun. 911B0138-D7E4-4DA8-A69D-2C289DAD4EF3_1_105_c.jpeg9C7AB3CC-DBB1-40C4-B12B-FAF4DBD79F92_1_105_c.jpeg

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I am sharing my experience because I have been forced to run some experiments on a bonzer I recently acquired. It's part a cautionary tale to future bonzer users, part sharing a story that hopefully you can relate to. I have a custom CI Biscuit Bonzer that I have been surfing for the past 3 months or so and I have had mixed experiences with it. I am lucky to have the NJ wave pool 1/2 an hour away which means I have had lots of repetitions and a good testing ground for what has been a lesson in not giving up.
I personally have romanticized a bit the idea of the bonzer and how cool would it be to ride one, but so far it has been tough. I really, really want to love it, but it has been hard, until I made a breakthrough this morning.
I have tried everything in the fin department: 6.5", 6", 5.5", moving it forward, backwards, and the board just does not go. It felt like someone was grabbing my leash when dropping the wave. I have also tried to move my feet a bit more backwards, forwards (read somewhere on swaylocks that bonzers require to be surfed with your back foot really on top of the back fin). Maybe because of the lack of power of the wave (I have only tried the board in the pool, I would not risk skunking a good day with it) maybe because this board is somehow a lemon, but most likely user error, I have managed to find a sweet spot with a 3.625" Lost trailer single fin. (https://futuresfins.com/products/lost-3-625?_pos=1&_sid=4ec328722&_ss=r)
The board now flies off the bottom turn, does not feel stuck on the drop, and paddles into the wave like my other similarly sized groveler boards. I think I'll try the 5.5" now in the local break.
I don't know what to think, but I am finally having fun with it and I get the feeling of turbo projection off the bottom.
that dribbly ass pool is not an appropriate test track for a bonzer. please put that board in the ocean where it belongs. assuming it's sized correctly, it should be, as others have said, a fantastic grovel board for our waves w/ either a 6" or 6.5". Personally, i've always felt the 6.5" was the way to go, but everyone is different.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
What'd he say?
He basically said the B5 sucks in comparison to the B3. Then Duncan disagreed but said he still loved him.

I don't know. Joel has a propensity for surfing really well on really obsolete stuff. I mean, I really can't take anyone serious re shortboard design who can actually surf a D fin log well. Design wise he's kind of stuck in the 70's?

Whatever. You can order the TK Wi-5 as a Wi-3 I suppose. Whatever blows your kimono up...

Last edited:
Reactions: sushipop

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What's an ideal size for a HP Bonzer? I'm about 5'7 and found a 5'10 knifey bonzer that looks super sick! Are these supposed to be ridden longer than you're normal HPSB?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
What's an ideal size for a HP Bonzer? I'm about 5'7 and found a 5'10 knifey bonzer that looks super sick! Are these supposed to be ridden longer than you're normal HPSB?
Not necessarily. Malcom's comments are that if it's a shortboard, then get it in your same dims. If that's more of a step up for you, then it could be a great idea too. Is it a Campbell Bros?

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
He is such a knob. All those snarky little insta comments where he sh!t-talks people and regales us with the 'true' version of surf history, surely he has conflict every surf he has? He must be in the top 5 of most loathed surfers on the planet?