**BONZER THREAD 2014**

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Does the Octafish and Bumblebee have the same DNA but with obviously different tail shape? Looking at hundreds of pictures and comparing every other aspect they look the same. First 2/3's (nose to middle) look identical and the last 3rd section (tail) is the only difference I can see. I've never seen either one in person so am I wrong for thinking this? Is deciding between the two a matter of tail shape preference?
You should contact Jacob Campbell out at Campbell Brothers Hawaii.
He's doing some really killer outside the box and typical model designs now that are really rad.
He's also very accessible and stoked to talk. Give him your history of boards and tell him what you're looking for. He's got an incredible grasp of the design and is putting out killer stuff.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
You should contact Jacob Campbell out at Campbell Brothers Hawaii.
He's doing some really killer outside the box and typical model designs now that are really rad.
He's also very accessible and stoked to talk. Give him your history of boards and tell him what you're looking for. He's got an incredible grasp of the design and is putting out killer stuff.
http://instagr.am/p/B7l3_uvnZDC/

Jul 20, 2008
Does anyone know approx. volume of these two sizes of Octafish?
6' x 21" x 2 3/4"
5' 10" x 20 3/4" x 2 5/8"

Jul 20, 2008
I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet but I know it’s gonna be between the Octafish and Bumblebee. So I have a few questions for the enthusiast of these two. I know a lot has been discussed already but I’m just hoping for some new in put. Believe me I have search and read the forums on everything Bonzer. Which one has the biggest range? I read a lot about how the BB doesn’t light up until the waves have some size and curve to them. Or is it more that the waves just need some curve at any size? What is preferred between a 3 or 5 fin BB? What are your size recommendations for me at 5’8” 165lbs 49 years. Been surfing since my mid teens. I know what I’m doing but not a pro/expert by any means. I’ve always liked a little extra volume as well. Right now I have a CB 5 fin Egg that is 6’8” x 20 3/8” x 2 3/4”. Really really love this one. I also ride a VS Flying Manta a lot. 5’8” x 22” x 2 3/4”. I’m thinking something between 5’10” and 6’. Thoughts?

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Looking forward to my Diamond Tail E-wing B5 coming soon
Mandatory pics, dims, ride reports, ALL of it Please!
and congratulations in advance.
I have a 6'6 x 20 1/8 x 2 9/16 diamond tail B5 egg- no E-wing - that I can't get enough of. I get that giddy nervous stoke when I see the forecast calling for it.
I find the diamond tail is pressure controlled steering perfection from light pressure smooth rail turn wrap arounds, to all out lead foot gouges.
You're stoked!

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Brycor from my experience w bonzers they all need a good wave. No reason to ride one if your not getting in more than just a couple turns.

I thought I’d get a bumblebee, but planning on getting another mlv. It has a great range and is a magic little board. Also plan on getting an alpha omega.

Jul 20, 2008
Brycor from my experience w bonzers they all need a good wave. No reason to ride one if your not getting in more than just a couple turns.

I thought I’d get a bumblebee, but planning on getting another mlv. It has a great range and is a magic little board. Also plan on getting an alpha omega.
What range would you say the MLV has? So you prefer 3 fin light vehicle over the MB5?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Mandatory pics, dims, ride reports, ALL of it Please!
and congratulations in advance.
I have a 6'6 x 20 1/8 x 2 9/16 diamond tail B5 egg- no E-wing - that I can't get enough of. I get that giddy nervous stoke when I see the forecast calling for it.
I find the diamond tail is pressure controlled steering perfection from light pressure smooth rail turn wrap arounds, to all out lead foot gouges.
You're stoked!
yes, been frothing for a Diamond Tail lately so did it on the 8 Footer. Getting a nice Dodge rusty red tint. I think it was shaped last week so looking forward to it.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Mlv idk waist with some push to as big as your comfortable - nothing too crazy but rode it on some well over head days. Likes a shorter period swell better as height increases. It goes too damned fast sometimes.

Reactions: Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I didn't love the Octafish, which was 5'8. Just never clicked - never felt the fifth gear, which is why you ride a bonzer in the first place.

My 5'6 BB was a five finner and was good fun. Like many suggest, it enjoyed waves of chest to overhead with some curve. I rode a mate's 5'9 3 finer BB and loved it more. It was looser and had a better cruisy feel. I ended up riding the MLV more and sold the BB. Both of these boards work from waist high and in a range of waves. But the BB prefers curve. The MLV can handle flatter faces. I think the BB and Octa would be very similar in wave range. The octa is a 5 fin, whereas you can get the BB in 3 and i would recommend that.

Reactions: rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Really interested in getting a bb but can’t (shouldn’t) order three. I feel the mlv will get more water time if I have to make a choice based on my experience with the mlv and the bb description from guys here and the b5 site

Jul 20, 2008
Quoted from the website:
The MBLV is a little more smooth and drivey, and the Mini B5 a tad quicker off the top, with a bit more pivot. Both boards are equally fast.
Do you guys find this to be accurate? The more I think about it and hear what some have said, a mini version sounds more like what I need to complement my 6’8” Egg.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Quoted from the website:
The MBLV is a little more smooth and drivey, and the Mini B5 a tad quicker off the top, with a bit more pivot. Both boards are equally fast.
Do you guys find this to be accurate? The more I think about it and hear what some have said, a mini version sounds more like what I need to complement my 6’8” Egg.
If it helps - i think my egg and MLV complement each other really well. Mind you, my egg is 5'9 and super refined - more performance orientated. Whereas the MLV is cruise machine, but it still has the ability to jam some really hard turns and it flys and glides with ease. Depends whether you want something like the egg, but in a shorter package, or something different in the bonzer variety.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Quoted from the website:
Yeah man, go MLV 3 fin. Really unique cruisey super fast board that picks up under the range of your egg, and to this day I haven't hear a negative word about one. Actually the only thing I've ever heard is fun fun FUN.
It is a bonzer shape/design unique to the Campbells and while you can and have the means, go custom from the Master.
Malcolm will help guide you with sizing, just be specific with Your dimensions and where you surf most etc.

That 6'8 egg of yours should handle up to pretty big surf, and if it's anything like my 6'6 does need a decent bit of period in the swell, and a touch of curve to the wave.
The MLV is where its at when its a bit fat, and lets you get swervy if the wave ain't curvy.
Get something Cosmic and Rad with a Peter St.Pierre airbrush, and be Stoked!

Reactions: rts265 and Bman76

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet but I know it’s gonna be between the Octafish and Bumblebee. So I have a few questions for the enthusiast of these two. I know a lot has been discussed already but I’m just hoping for some new in put. Believe me I have search and read the forums on everything Bonzer. Which one has the biggest range? I read a lot about how the BB doesn’t light up until the waves have some size and curve to them. Or is it more that the waves just need some curve at any size? What is preferred between a 3 or 5 fin BB? What are your size recommendations for me at 5’8” 165lbs 49 years. Been surfing since my mid teens. I know what I’m doing but not a pro/expert by any means. I’ve always liked a little extra volume as well. Right now I have a CB 5 fin Egg that is 6’8” x 20 3/8” x 2 3/4”. Really really love this one. I also ride a VS Flying Manta a lot. 5’8” x 22” x 2 3/4”. I’m thinking something between 5’10” and 6’. Thoughts?
I am same dimz and age and had 5 fin thumbtail bb 5'6" ? 2.75" tons of volume and float for me I scored used. It loved dumpy beachbreak and came alive for barrels...If I got a custom bb I would go 5'6" 20" 2 5" most likely and see what MC says.

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks all for your input. It’s a huge help for someone who doesn’t have easy access to Bonzer’s. I’m the only person in my area of the Gulf coast that rides them. I first fell in love with with them about 10 years ago. I had a GH speed egg type shape (I think). After that board I knew I had to have a CB. The GH was really awesome though. I should have held on to it. The only other person I know of or ever seen out this way is Sterling Spencer that has a Bonzer. His area of surf is about 4 hours from me and if you have ever seen footage of his home break, that’s more of the type of surf I want another Bonzer for. Pretty much for the quality days from waist to just OH. My Egg takes it from there. Here’s a pic of the GH I had. Just for show.612085F9-D636-471F-91F9-DD7D2275DA62.png9C484609-2A59-40E8-9B2F-CDE53F778EFE.png5050C3EE-B0D1-4853-9D4B-4A8C3746E85D.png