**BONZER THREAD 2014**

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
where does a bumble bee fit in on the scale of grovelor to performance? mid way? kind of a performance all arounder? really like the look of the bumble bees

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
where does a bumble bee fit in on the scale of grovelor to performance? mid way? kind of a performance all arounder? really like the look of the bumble bees
It took me lots of time to get re-accustomed to those Brewer style rails on a board that size (6' and under range) with that outline and foil. Then of course you see T. Knox going full beast mode on one.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Just an FYI since I'm pretty sure they're not for sale, but there are are two really nice 73' era Bing Bonzers hanging up at the Bing shop on 101 in Leucadia.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I had a 5'6" BB thumbtail which was over volume for me with 2.75" rails super thick but still sliced, diced, carved on dime. Loved shoulder to Oh+ fast down line waves with curve and tube rider

Reactions: donger

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
My latest. Picked it up from a fellow erbb a couple months ago and have been putting it through its paces since. Waited a long time for one of these to come up used in my size. Well worth the wait. 6’2X21 1/4X2 11/16.AFDC3433-B561-4132-9259-28D4B2B0C00A.jpegC2689A45-1B33-4A7B-8309-A60B85A0CC9A.jpeg

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Very nice! How does it go? That's pretty much the size I want to get, but really want to demo one before I buy. Is there a long adjustment periods (half a session) between this and I'm assuming a HPSB? The few twins I've ridden (and Album and a JS Black Baron) I felt like I really had to power-down my turns which is the opposite of what I want to do when I'm going fast.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Very nice! How does it go? That's pretty much the size I want to get, but really want to demo one before I buy. Is there a long adjustment periods (half a session) between this and I'm assuming a HPSB? The few twins I've ridden (and Album and a JS Black Baron) I felt like I really had to power-down my turns which is the opposite of what I want to do when I'm going fast.
No real adjustment for me since all my dd and grovel are quads so feels and pumps pretty close yet has that nice slippery slidey feel I was looking for:) I have not caught a good right (front side) since I got my AO so waiting to test but plenty of bs and nice turns and rides barrel really nice. I can not put her down since September when I got my AO all I have been riding. Problem is swells NWN been super sharp so far this winter and equals close outs at local break.

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
just about what I am after. nice one
Love it works great at local beach break steep semi close out on trim and even nose riding I have never beat out so many sections and got longer rides. A little learning curve at first with ewing and not puting all my weight into turns like I had to with my 9' Scott Anderson "Farberow" single so I did a couple face flops at first:)

Reactions: grg

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I need the advice of the bonzer collective. Let me preface this by saying that the Octafish is one of my all-time favorite designs I’ve had in nearly 30 years of surfing...if I had to, I would be content to have just an Octafish.
That said, I have an opportunity to score a new-to-me, essentially unridden, 5’10” Octafish in identical dims to my original, magic Octafish that I got back in 2013-20 3/4x2 1/2. Light grey tint, 101 side fins...the price is more than fair.
On the other hand, my local shop has a 6’0” Alpha Omega on the rack. New board, new board price...clear w/ Futures. I have never ridden an A/O...dims look right-20 1/4x2 9/16.
Should I stick w/ the tried & true or branch out & try something fresh? Board would fill the “daily driver” type slot in my quiver.