Bonzer Single Fin

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Uh oh.

Did GWS fvvk up a cut and create another new model?
lol! There is one little known file called "The Happy Accident."

sh!t happens. But I have no memory of this one. Sometimes he just asks me for a thicker tail for a deeper concave and all I put in is V with a relief panel. He likes to put the concave in by hand. This could have ben Jacobs doing as well. Sometimes I send him files but he's modifying files on his own right now. I'm cutting a Jacob modified BB right now. No beak among other things. I'm kind of surprised this happened. I'm guessing it wasn't a random customer. Probably a regular.

If anybody is looking a Bonzer, get your orders in soon. Likely there's going to be a sabbatical soon. 805 orders and VSS stockers will be around, but the pace just needs to slow for a bit so there can be some breath catching.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I've never ridden a bonzer... Is this a shape I must try? What's so great about them compared to [whatever other general surfboard design]?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i thot bonzer was the concave and fin placement.

otherwise wtf is the AO.

wuts the different between a light-vehicle and a Bonzer bottom?

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
i thot bonzer was the concave and fin placement.

otherwise wtf is the AO.

wuts the different between a light-vehicle and a Bonzer bottom?
MLV and AO have light vehicle bottoms, which have those channels that run up the side of the board near the rails. I think you can ask for them on any bonzer.
http://instagr.am/p/CP4Pn0Gsf_K/ My regular bonzer bottoms don't have those outside concave - they just have deep concaves running through the little bonzer side runners.

Reactions: sdsrfr

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
MLV and AO have light vehicle bottoms, which have those channels that run up the side of the board near the rails. I think you can ask for them on any bonzer.
http://instagr.am/p/CP4Pn0Gsf_K/ My regular bonzer bottoms don't have those outside concave - they just have deep concaves running through the little bonzer side runners.

This is another example of hydrodynamic mumbo jumbo (I don't know if this is an official Campbell Brothers' illustration). Why would water flowing across the bottom of a board be deflected DOWN by the runners? I'm not saying bonzers don't work. My step up is a bonzer. But I just don't like misinterpretations. A better illustration would show the board in plan view.

I would like to know the explanation the Brothers give for the long curving concave. Sharky?

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
This is another example of hydrodynamic mumbo jumbo (I don't know if this is an official Campbell Brothers' illustration). Why would water flowing across the bottom of a board be deflected DOWN by the runners? I'm not saying bonzers don't work. My step up is a bonzer. But I just don't like misinterpretations. A better illustration would show the board in plan view.

I would like to know the explanation the Brothers give for the long curving concave. Sharky?
It's from their website - so i presume it's their image. As is the one of Taylor Knox posted by Sharky. And i posted the image to show the difference between concaves and the MLV bottom for sdsrfr.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014

Can I take a shot?

If you look closely at the side runners - whether 3 or 5 - you'll notice they are more extensions of the concaves - given their wild cant and flat inside foil, then they are are typical directional fins.
When the water underneath moves diagonally and down across the board the flow is captured and organized by the Bonzer system- fins/concaves - and some of the energy goes straight out the tail but in a turn the water flow is re-directed through the outside rail- exposed - side runners and re-directed back into the water.
It's not just for show. There is significant propulsion and you can feel it when you're "squirted" out of turns with more speed than when you went in.
It's pretty rad and for sure no visual gimmick.
This can also be felt when driving the board down the line- each cluster is performing this duty at speed when going rail to rail, and gives you that legendary "5th gear".
I really believe M+D have tapped into something deeper than just organizing water flow and more about gathering the Energy in a wave.

The thruster was design was derived by making an inmprovement to a twin fin.
The bonzer was designed around the single fin.
Runners were added and then very shortly after that the concaves. You can see through years and refinement how the concaves were ridiculously deep- and boards very thick - but over time both were slowly refined to the system and various models- you have today.
It works.

I always tell skeptics or the curious to try a flatter rocker bonzer first. The Pod model, CI's Biscuit(especially) are good ones.
You'll get that 'feeling" a lot easier being that you don't need an overly powerful wave to get going.
Bonzers don't need a huge powerful wave but definitely excel in a wave with some curve in it. Gets the energy moving through the system.
I had a dead flat 5 fin Pavel I surfed almost to death that I hooked a younger kid up with to pass on the magic and stoke.
He loves that board.

The 3 fin will give you a more traditional feel and Really hold through insanely fast power carves. Deep bottom turns are glorious as well.
The 5 comes alive and is more performance oriented but still retains the magic.
Think traditional fish and split keel quad- in theory- it's still a single fin, that know knows kung-fu instead of just tai-chi.

That- and much more- are my take on it, but one thing for sure is you owe it to yourself to get a proper, hopefully CB bonzer, into some really good waves.
It will light you up in a way very few things can.

I will surf these boards forever.

Thanks for hearing me out.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I stand corrected. If forgot about 19 degrees of can't...

And thanks KPD for your take. I have ridden bonkers and my step up is a boozer. I have drunk the Kool aid and I found the fifth gear.

ps my computer's auto correct keeps changing bonzer to boozer or bonkers. :roflmao: Maybe they could be a new model names.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
rippers ripping on thrusters....but as single fins
looks like they just added bahne boxes to their typical thrusters