Bonzer daily driver

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
I've sampled a few of the Campbell Bros models. I think my top three for a daily would be a Pod, Octafish, and perhaps the Egg. I've never had a bad Bonzer. Malcolm's rockers and rail profiles always feel so perfect to me.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Some people have a tendency to ride one Bonzer over a short period of time, not like it and then extrapolate to all Bonzers.

What would you call someone who did that with say a thruster? Idiot? Moron? Kook? Stupid?

That's probably a bit harsh, but how many of us have had thrusters we didn't click with? All of us? Did that mean all thrusters don't work? How stupid would that conclusion be?

Back to the original question, I have given my opinion on this before. At about 205lbs, if I was going to ride one board on the west coast it would probably be a 6'2" Bonzer 5 egg. It won't be the best board for everything/anything, but it will do just about everything well.

And that said, no board design is going to be everything to everybody. Thank God. Surfing would be way more boring if that was the case.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
The thing I find interesting about these threads is that Bonzer riders don’t give a rip what anybody else rides. On the other side of the equation we have a certain ilk that is so insecure they become emotionally disturbed at the mere idea of anyone riding something they don’t ride. (A Bonzer)

Maybe try and not be so insecure? Get some counseling? Consider medication? Or maybe do some reading?
View attachment 145424

Because your surfboard really is COOL!!!

Its all going to be ok Northern Shores… (y)
I bought a used RS swallowtail 5 fin bonzer and its absolutely the one that got away. Fantastic board.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I bought a used RS swallowtail 5 fin bonzer and its absolutely the one that got away. Fantastic board.
You would be amazed at who has ordered those things. Some of the planets better surfers occasionally like to experience fading into a takeoff, taking it down to the bottom and then hitting a proper bottom turn. The demand caught me by surprise. I was figuring we'd do a very few here and there. Not the case. I have one I turned into a midsize twin fin.

Russ Short - Campbell Brothers Surfboards - Bonzer (bonzer5.com)

Last edited:

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
I have a 5'6" MLV that i rode for about a year as a daily driver. I didn't like it with the recommended Bonzer single fin, it didn't bite enough. I had better luck with a Greenough 4-A.
I don't get to surf all day everyday, so when I do, I just stick with a standard Thruster short boar. I think Simon Anderson is on to something.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The thing I find interesting about these threads is that Bonzer riders don’t give a rip what anybody else rides.
funnily I know a few guys who contradict this entirely. youre only cool if you’ve experienced the light vehicle and accepted its greatness.

often the case with bonzer heads I’ve come across. theyre also quick to praise other non-conformist designs and poo poo thrusters entirely

Reactions: Northern_Shores

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Rode a 5'10" Octafish and a 6'0" Mini-merk as daily drivers and had a ball.

I tend to binge surf Bonzers.

Ride them exclusively for 5-6 months and then put them on ice again.

Will do it again soon.

Reactions: Woke AF and Sharky

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
funnily I know a few guys who contradict this entirely. youre only cool if you’ve experienced the light vehicle and accepted its greatness.

often the case with bonzer heads I’ve come across. theyre also quick to praise other non-conformist designs and poo poo thrusters entirely
I've never met this person. Are you sure this isn't insecurity/projection?

Most Bonzer owners own thrusters, twins and quads.

Further, I have multiple Malcom Campbell shaped thrusters as well as three twin fins.

Last edited:

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I had the same exact feeling.
I had the same thing with an octafish. Could never find a fin to work in that board. Every other bonzer I've owned (6 or 7) took some time to tune not only fin position, but fin size and/or style of fin. They take time to finesse. Then again - others I could just throw in a 7 inch bonzer fin and go...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I had the same thing with an octafish. Could never find a fin to work in that board. Every other bonzer I've owned (6 or 7) took some time to tune not only fin position, but fin size and/or style of fin. They take time to finesse. Then again - others I could just throw in a 7 inch bonzer fin and go...
5.75" "from tail" been magic number and 7" TA bonzer fin on all my CB bonzer 5 fins so far:shaka:

Reactions: Bman76

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I've never met this person. Are you sure this isn't insecurity/projection?

Most Bonzer owners own thrusters, twins and quads.

Further, I have multiple Malcom Campbell shaped thrusters as well as three twin fins.
Was the Ft Knox the only one that was widely available?