Bombing hills

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
YOMIS on full display. Young man's immortality syndrome.

When I was a young man there was a street named "Geronimo." It was great for bombing - long, steep, straight, no stop signs or traffic and it had a long flat run off to slow down. Of course I ate it once at full speed, broke my wrist and thumb, had a Levis pocket rivet embed into my hip and I lost my enthusiasm for skateboarding after that. Good times.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I used to be really in to bombing hills, and we would generally get decently drunk before hand, because you do fall. This lasted until I made high speed contact with a delivery van at an intersection as I was turning on to the street. I glanced off it, broke off the side mirror on the passenger side, and separated my shoulder in the process. The driver stopped and was freaking out, I told him I was fine and apologized for his mirror. He was just happy to drive away. I was happy I wasn't dead. I tried a few hills after that, couldn't do it.

Reactions: $kully

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I used to love doing that, especially with loose trucks since I was a masochist. Whether bombing straight or doing slalom style with uphill-trending power slides to bleed speed. In my pre-teen/teens, yeah, no big deal, you bounce back within minutes but by time in 20s, injuries started stacking up especially I was going for steeper hills. One had an abrupt runout, wheels scrunched into deck of board (loose trucks), and I am thankful I got those three steps in that I did because I lost all the skin on both palms with it all accordioned at the base of my fingers along with a bunch of other road rash with my head stopping 5 feet from the curb. That took me out for multiple weeks. Glad I had a girlfriend at the time because rubbing one out was not happening for a while.

Can always tell someone who skated a lot of hills - the scars are all in the same place: inside elbows, lower hips, etc.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aruka and $kully

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
speaking of which.....anyone done the full downhill at trestles....successfully made the turn at speed, only to get speed wabbles after straightening out into safety and came up with stigmata? ruined a camping trip that way. still have the knife that was in my pocket...the grooves cut by the path rocks into the (brass?) parts of it were a-frickin'-mazing. guessing this was before it was last repaved?

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
speaking of which.....anyone done the full downhill at trestles....successfully made the turn at speed, only to get speed wabbles after straightening out into safety and came up with stigmata? ruined a camping trip that way. still have the knife that was in my pocket...the grooves cut by the path rocks into the (brass?) parts of it were a-frickin'-mazing. guessing this was before it was last repaved?
That cemented the fact (no pun intended) that I suck at skating.

I knew I was in trouble with wobbles and threw my board into the brush before eating sh*t. No way in hell I was going to crash carrying a board - screw that nonsense. :ROFLMAO:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
we were skating down for a surf check...little hope in there actually being anything.

best part was, when i finally bailed, i had the tuck and roll DOWN, bounced, caught air on the roll out n actually landed on my feet and ran it out! almost sh!t myself in disbelief that i basically landed the thing after a twacekd out summersault. claimed it, hands in the air..only to realize i was missing solid chunks of both hands