Body Surging

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I recently started body surging so I could wave-ride while my knee is still healing. In the past, it was only something I did occasionally if I happened to be at a shorebreak spot with no board. This time around I'm swimming out at OBSF without fins or paipo. Just body. It's an incredible workout, but I'm having trouble getting into waves early enough to go down the line.

Can anyone share technique tips for taking off and riding the wave without gear?

:shaka::cheers::shaka:

• Wow
Reactions: need 4 speed

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It's tough without fins or a board. I guess if the knee is still healing I understand the reluctance to use fins. Why not get a bodyboard?

My knee is lame right now too but wearing fins doesn't seem to bother it so bodyboarding has been a saving grace for me this summer.

Aug 26, 2022
A minimum of one fin is required. Boomers in La Jolla would be a good wave because it's steep enough. If there is still Southerly swell then South point go left. Northerly swell rights at North point.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I recently started body surging so I could wave-ride while my knee is still healing. In the past, it was only something I did occasionally if I happened to be at a shorebreak spot with no board. This time around I'm swimming out at OBSF without fins or paipo. Just body. It's an incredible workout, but I'm having trouble getting into waves early enough to go down the line.

Can anyone share technique tips for taking off and riding the wave without gear?

:shaka::cheers::shaka:
:shark:

Reactions: keenfish

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I try not to think about it! I swam from China Beach to Deadman's point and back the other day, and it was definitely on my mind. Lot of swimmers do that route daily, though, and no attacks in SF since 1959.

That was my rehab spot too.

Paddle, swim, body surf.

The little mini point is good for body surfing. Is that called Eagles?
In my experience, you need waves that are a little steeper and have some push. Otherwise you are always stuck too far back with no momentum.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I've done the one fin thing while I had a foot injury. It worked and was super fun.