Bocas Los Toros?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Starting to plan a trip either late this year or early next year.. Hope to get a couple surf sessions in but not a priority ... need to find a place with enough amenities and activities to keep Mrs. Flyinraptr happy. The Red Frog Resort looks like a potential winner ... any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Starting to plan a trip either late this year or early next year.. Hope to get a couple surf sessions in but not a priority ... need to find a place with enough amenities and activities to keep Mrs. Flyinraptr happy. The Red Frog Resort looks like a potential winner ... any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, Red Frog seems like the ticket. I was going to go there a few years back, and got recs from friends and they recommended Red Frog. I didn't go, so can't offer personal experience.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Hardcore locals at certain spots - not my favorite place. - lots of annoying travel to get there - and the boat rides ugh! Admittedly, it can go off at certain times of the year but there are so many better place to travel to. I am sure I will get hate for saying that- to each his own.

Reactions: flyinraptr

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
damn - none of these places have A/C? Beautiful properties but not sure I can do the tropics with no air at night. Ive been wanting to go to Bocas for a longtime but possibly not for me, lol.
Don't let me dissuade you - my buddy loved it when he went and couldn't understand why I was not a fan.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Don't let me dissuade you - my buddy loved it when he went and couldn't understand why I was not a fan.
nah - wasnt you. i have a friend that lives down there and hes weve been trying to link up for a decade now. i finally started to look into it and everything im seeing is ceiling fans only. pretty much the only thing from stopping me from heading down. I cant sleep at night if its warm.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
My buddy went, stayed and started the firefly.

spot on about locals but it’s just like any other place.

most of Europe doesn’t have ac.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
nah - wasnt you. i have a friend that lives down there and hes weve been trying to link up for a decade now. i finally started to look into it and everything im seeing is ceiling fans only. pretty much the only thing from stopping me from heading down. I cant sleep at night if its warm.
It's a bit weird but I will bring a "cool pad" with me to place without AC in the tropics. We got them for my older dog who is always hot but they're pretty effective so I got myself one. The beds at these places usually aren't too nice anyways so a weird vinyl covered thing doesn't bother me too much. It helps drop my body temp enough to fall asleep. That said it only lasts so long so you'll wake up hot again, but for me it made all the difference in getting to sleep at first.

Reactions: CutnSnip

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
I've been there, here's my impressions....

I have not stayed at Red Frog but I have a friend who just stayed there. He hated the resort, but take that with a grain of salt, he's very picky and expects a lot. I can't remember exactly what his issues were but I think the expense of the place and them charging you for minor things was one, no running water at times, and he didn't like the owners attitude.. Again take it with a grain of salt.

Here's my experience with Bocas. I loved the place, but like all places there can be issues. The vibe of the place and the people were great. The main island has that european backpacker party vibe to it. Out of town it's mellow. We stayed on the west coast of the main island on the water, it was amazing. The water was so clear and we snorkeled right off the house. One night there were bio luminescence happening with a pod of dolphins cruising through. We went out and swam with them, it was incredible. Supposedly the dolphins would slap there tails to keep others awake, so you would here their tails all through the night, very magical. We also stayed on Carenros island, nice house but not my favorite island, lots of trash. The snorkeling and coral anywhere on the interior of the islands is insane, clear water and amazing colors, different from any other place I've been to because of the coral and sponges. Water taxis are the norm but on the main island it's regular taxis. The surf was good when I was there, I surfed all the main spots. It's not like nicararagua where the waves are nice and groomed, it's short interval with chunk in the water. No problem with locals. I could break down the surf spots if needed but @paunch23 can do that if he shows up.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
hola. yes you guys are spot on in everything you've said. I kinda prefer to stay on the main island (Isla Colon), just because you can go walk at night, have a drink, dinner or whatever. And yes fun waves, not scary huge, but scary enough for me I guess. If you're in Panama, is kinda you best bet, either Bocas or Santa Catalina. If the surf is huge, there are good quality waves like hour and a half from Panama City. There are other places, but out of the beaten path and, kind of a hassle. Bocas has a bit of everything I guess.
Right now is kinda crazy in Panama, should be settle in a few days.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
hola. yes you guys are spot on in everything you've said. I kinda prefer to stay on the main island (Isla Colon), just because you can go walk at night, have a drink, dinner or whatever. And yes fun waves, not scary huge, but scary enough for me I guess. If you're in Panama, is kinda you best bet, either Bocas or Santa Catalina. If the surf is huge, there are good quality waves like hour and a half from Panama City. There are other places, but out of the beaten path and, kind of a hassle. Bocas has a bit of everything I guess.
Right now is kinda crazy in Panama, should be settle in a few days.
Que pasa :shrug:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Was thinking because of the proximity to Nica .... it would be an easy trip .... but getting there even from Nica appears to be anything but easy. Mrs. Flyinraptr doesn't surf but loves to snorkel ... so still looking into it. We recently did a trip to Little Corn Island - off Nica on the Caribbean side .... non-surf trip but was pretty cool .... went to a spot where we snorkeled with about a dozen stingrays circling us.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Was thinking because of the proximity to Nica .... it would be an easy trip .... but getting there even from Nica appears to be anything but easy. Mrs. Flyinraptr doesn't surf but loves to snorkel ... so still looking into it. We recently did a trip to Little Corn Island - off Nica on the Caribbean side .... non-surf trip but was pretty cool .... went to a spot where we snorkeled with about a dozen stingrays circling us.
Wouldn't Honduras be easiest :shrug: