Bobby Quad

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
japan has micro waves so it is grovel city there. it'd be fun to surf that variety of boars he has.
It's actually impressive how well he can get those 5ft fishes going in what are clearly logging waves.
Other than the casual xenophobia (which is very common in Asian countries, and definitely in my home Asian country) Japan is a really cool country. And the people there REALLY get into what they're into. Whether it's making sushi, reggae music or surfing or whatever. It's just different than America so it seems overdone to most American surfers.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm not one to crap on how folks get their jollies, but back in my day, we had terms for people who bought ALL the gear, paid for the front of the line pass, posed for all the lifestyle photos, but couldn't do THE THING. Surfing, skating, whatever THE THING is that one is trying to attach themselves to, actually DOING THE THING WELL was the ultimate goal.

Poser.
The word was poser. And it's perfectly personified in that fellas posts.
Posers can be nice. Posers can be great humans.
But they are still a poser.

Unless that person has some sort of horrific story of personal injury that limits his ability. Then their awesome, and I'm an asshole.

On second thought, I might just be an asshole. No backstory needed.
Anymore, I'm probably a poser.
Bit of a saying among my buddies

the guy who does the most spot checks, knows the most about forecasts, swell angles and spots that work for them, their gear, the repairs, etc, probably knows the least about actually surfing.

it’s a lifestyle to them and Surfing is just a component - not that there is anytbing wrong with that… until you put it all out on social media for folks witb too mucb free time (or procrastination) to judge.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Japan is a really cool country. And the people there REALLY get into what they're into. Whether it's making sushi, reggae music or surfing or whatever. It's just different than America so it seems overdone to most American surfers.

Nah. Rich people do that sh!t here too.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm not one to crap on how folks get their jollies, but back in my day, we had terms for people who bought ALL the gear, paid for the front of the line pass, posed for all the lifestyle photos, but couldn't do THE THING. Surfing, skating, whatever THE THING is that one is trying to attach themselves to, actually DOING THE THING WELL was the ultimate goal.

Poser.
The word was poser. And it's perfectly personified in that fellas posts.
Posers can be nice. Posers can be great humans.
But they are still a poser.

Unless that person has some sort of horrific story of personal injury that limits his ability. Then their awesome, and I'm an asshole.

On second thought, I might just be an asshole. No backstory needed.
Anymore, I'm probably a poser.
In the late 90's early 2000's (before everyone and their mom started wearing skate shoes) if you wore Vans, DC's, Axion, Audio, Es, Globe, Osiris, or any other brand of skate shoe and you DIDNT SKATE! You were a poser. Or if you wore all the clothes had a board and didnt skate, you were a POSER.

If you skated and weren't very good (but still tried) you weren't a pose... you just sucked. So I wouldn't necessarily call TK a "poser" in my book because it seems like he tries. But hard to tell based on his post of boards and no actual surfing. lol.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
In the late 90's early 2000's (before everyone and their mom started wearing skate shoes) if you wore Vans, DC's, Axion, Audio, Es, Globe, Osiris, or any other brand of skate shoe and you DIDNT SKATE! You were a poser. Or if you wore all the clothes had a board and didnt skate, you were a POSER.

If you skated and weren't very good (but still tried) you weren't a pose... you just sucked. So I wouldn't necessarily call TK a "poser" in my book because it seems like he tries. But hard to tell based on his post of boards and no actual surfing. lol.
Skater crowd so different then surfers and show support regardless of skill level, age, etc everyone is stocked and like I always said " the bowl is always over head"... :shaka:

Reactions: ReForest

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
One of the best surfers I know personally, never tried to qualify for the CT but did final at a 4 star QS, doesn’t give a Fck about equipment. I think he still has plastic fins in his 8 year old tokoro. And he RIPS.
A while back there was a guy RIPPING at my local who I hadn't seen before, his board looked kind of interesting from a distance. By the time I got out I realized it was an ANCIENT Lost Rocket with plastic fins. Some people just got it like that.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

It seems like he gets in the water everyday- even in dismal tiny waves. That ain’t posing.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I always see crazy custom orders for Japanese market, crazy tech and colorways before here, maybe yolo is a Japanese tradition
Have Japanese relatives and spent a lot of time there growing up, and lived/worked there one summer in college. Definitely something cultural about diving deep into hobbies there. Whatever they are into, they are really into.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I understand the disdain for posers. Skaters especially hate posers because being a skater means slamming, getting up and trying again. Recovering from inevitable injuries. Getting old and losing tricks that kids take a few tips and a dozen tries to learn. It’s ok to be a sh*tty skater but not a poser.

Same thing with surfers. Harder to suss surfing posers out cause the oceans bigger than a skatepark or a parking curb.

When I used to work at Local Motion in the 80’s Nihonjin customer were full on posers. Some would have a pair of Oakleys on top of their head and another pair on hanging around their neck and a third pair over their eyes. 3 Swatch watches on each arm. And all the best most popular equipment and surf wear. Jimmy Z hat, tshirt and shorts. Ez in ez out. That said there are a bunch of hardcore chargers from Japan.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Come for the Bobby Quad talk….stay for the Japanese poser debate!! :)

I’ve only had my BQ out a few times in conditions it deserved better. But initial impression is if you like surfing small waves like a skateboard, you’ll love this board. These guys are obviously amazing surfers. But if you watch these clips, and then try and imagine how’d they surf these waves on something like a rocket wide. Hopefully that makes some sense?

http://instagr.am/p/CTg5B85imuM/
http://instagr.am/p/CTIoujJBo7V/

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bit of a saying among my buddies

the guy who does the most spot checks, knows the most about forecasts, swell angles and spots that work for them, their gear, the repairs, etc, probably knows the least about actually surfing.

it’s a lifestyle to them and Surfing is just a component - not that there is anytbing wrong with that… until you put it all out on social media for folks witb too mucb free time (or procrastination) to judge.

So doing the work of figuring out what spots are good when (angle/period/etc) is the sign of a kook?

Sounds like the attitude of a 9-5er who is probably stuck surfing the same spot due to responsibilities (work/kids).

Most people who are really into surfing with time to seek out waves know what works when.

Knowing what works when is how you score and gets you skunked less often.

And it saves time + gas.

Here one area of the county can be flat or complete crap but a 30 minute drive gets you into some fun surf.

And some spots only work under certain conditions.

Last edited: