#boatlife

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I was looking at listings and the very first boat I worked on is listed. I could afford not. When I was varnishing the wood work just out of high school it was beyond my wildest dreams.

You could probably get that thing for 15 in the current environment. I mean, they hired a yacht broker that can't spell "sails." Hopefully it has an engine.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You could probably get that thing for 15 in the current environment. I mean, they hired a yacht broker that can't spell "sails." Hopefully it has an engine.
The builder, Dennis Choate, was trying to achieve Swan quality. The wood work on that boat was pretty impeccable. It has good bones. Unfortunately the true cost of a boat is the slip fee.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
My best friend owns a sweet 42 foot sailboat that he keeps in Long Beach and has sailed to far-off destinations on months-long trips. As someone said above, it is best if you have a good friend with a boat; I love going on it but ownership of one is not for me. You have to be skilled at, and enjoy, personally performing constant maintenance, repair, and upgrade projects. He actually does enjoy all that. This weekend, he and his wife took the short sail to Two Harbors in Catalina for some Scuba diving and related fun.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
To own a boat would have to be part of some kind of retirement plan for me. Post up in various island and beach town locals, then bounce when you want to go somewhere else.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
we bought a little 2001 13' boston whaler to watch my 11 yr old's regattas: PITA. Took apart the carb so many times now, I can do it in my sleep. Still won't start right up if it's been sitting more than a week. Thinking about getting a brand new Yamaha motor. Sail boats are so much easier to deal w/.
what's the motor? my skiff still has an ol evinrude 2 smoker and I only drain the gas out of the carbs when I know it's going to sit for a long time. fires up easily every time and it looks like hell. that motor is one of the best of all time though.

for finicky carbs you really need to get all the gas drained out. have you tried replacing jets since it keeps acting up?

Reactions: ghostshaper

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
See like maybe 20% of that could i understand. Why I could never #boatlife. I grew up sailing them and cruising on them, but unless I was filthy ass rich, i could never cut it...Im so not boat handy

Reactions: keenfish

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A cruising boat is essentially an oceagoing RV.x

As with any RV, just how fancy do you want to get? The old Cal sailboats were great. Solidly built. Oceanworthy, liveable. You could buy one and do a lot with it.

We see all of these rooftop tents and popup campers in the automotive world. The Cal 25 had a flush deck. When you were moored, you could pop up 4' of the deck behind the mast on stainless hinges. Pop a canvas/clear window wraparound on it between the roof and the deck. Have walkaround headroom down below. A little galley, forward V berth, 2 lazareetes, a cabin table that would drop down and turn into a double. It could sleep six.

We spent a week + out in the Channel Islands with that boat. Johnny sailed it down to Costa Rica, solo, and back.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
what's the motor? my skiff still has an ol evinrude 2 smoker and I only drain the gas out of the carbs when I know it's going to sit for a long time. fires up easily every time and it looks like hell. that motor is one of the best of all time though.

for finicky carbs you really need to get all the gas drained out. have you tried replacing jets since it keeps acting up?
2001 Mercury 4 stroke, single carb. Didn't replace the jets, but replaced fuel lines, cleaned out the carb multiple times, am always changing the fuel. Using 91 octane. Last time it didn't want to start, it sat for a month. I put in Sea Foam fuel stabilizer. Didn't matter. Replaced the fuel, took apart/cleaned the carb, and it did the trick. PITA to have to deal w/ when we don't take it out every week.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Even for a little sailboat. A lot of the boats I've sailed in over the years. You need to have a reliable outboard with enough power to take you home against an outgoing tide. Unless the wind is perfect, 99.9% of the time you will need to motor back into harbor.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Even for a little sailboat. A lot of the boats I've sailed in over the years. You need to have a reliable outboard with enough power to take you home against an outgoing tide. Unless the wind is perfect, 99.9% of the time you will need to motor back into harbor.
You know the boat? This is a steal. Wish I had a place to park it.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Santa Cruz

Two distinct worlds. Lower Harbor and Upper Harbor. Lower Harbor. The rich. Big time Commercial, or the idle wealthy. 30+ years now to obtain a lower harbor slip. Put your name in now. Home of Santa Cruz Yachts. Fast is Fun. More money than God.

Upper Harbor. Those who remain. We talk about Black Lives Matter.

There is no 1990 Santa Cruz Yachts. Buyer Beware...Edit. After looking at this boat.

It's a Santa Cruz 52. One of the fastest, cruiser sailboats that have ever been invented. Probably owned by a russian mafia guy. Fast is Fun.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What's the insurance like on a boat like this? That boat looks gorgeous. So sleek.
Santa Cruz

Two distinct worlds. Lower Harbor and Upper Harbor. Lower Harbor. The rich. Big time Commercial, or the idle wealthy. 30+ years now to obtain a lower harbor slip. Put your name in now. Home of Santa Cruz Yachts. Fast is Fun. More money than God.

There is no 1990 Santa Cruz Yachts. Buyer Beware...Edit. After looking at this boat.

It's a Santa Cruz 52. One of the fastest, cruiser sailboats that have ever been invented. Probably owned by a russian mafia guy. Fast is Fun.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Santa Cruz

Definitely a Santa Cruz 70. They started making the 70's in the late 80's. I remember because I was working at Dencho at the time and we were making 70 foot Nelson Mareks and Doug Petersons to compete (but Bill Lee's design seemed unbeatable). Santa Cruz 52 is more of a racer/cruiser. The 70, as you can see with the interior, is pure race.

This is Bill Lee's website. I was surprised to find it is still up. You can see descriptions of each boat he designed and constructed.

Here's a pic of the SC70 Grand Illusion. It was moored in King Harbor and I got a tour but never got to sail on it. We made the owner a 44 footer previous to this boat, complete with topless mermaid. Unfortunately the SC70 version did not have the mermaid. Maybe the yacht club types complained.

In one race, during the pre race jockeying, tGrand Illusion passed just a few feet to windward of us ( I was on a 30 footer ) and a crew member on the rail says in an ominous voice, "THE SHADOW!" . Sure enough, moments later we came to a dead stop because of her wind shadow. Then they did this maneuver that blew my mind. They pointed up into the wind and came to a stop. A whole gang of crew members then pushed the boom out, and they started going backwards. I'd say they got going up to about 5-6 knots BACKWARDS (about as fast as us little guys were going normally). And then they put the helm hard over and the boat spun around. It was like seeing a 70' boat do a keg first take off. We were all slack jawed.

ps won't let me load pics

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Dream girl right there, and dream life. I kick myself for not just going for that in the mid 90s, although you couldn't make money off youtube like those kids can now. Different times for sure.

Reactions: toPBk

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Wonder what a catamaran like the one in the first video would cost used? Looks pretty comfy. Having a shaded rear deck like that would be clutch.
$750,00 used. That's the difference between this couple and the couple in the original post. The original boat is a realistic project.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
$750,00 used. That's the difference between this couple and the couple in the original post. The original boat is a realistic project.
Fookin hell, I had a feeling that kind of comfort didn't come cheap :ROFLMAO: