Boat Nerds: American's Cup new AC75

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You listen to these yachts crank down on a tack change. Hydraulics... It used to be human power.... Set a Spinnacker..... All human..... 1000% good in a bay, a lake, Flat water....... Spectators......

Couldn't they make a hand-operated hydraulic pump?

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's all hydraulics now. Nobody is grinding winches, setting Spinnakers, jibs.

They all wear Helmuts. But they aren't losing their fingers tailing off winches. pushing buttons

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's all hydraulics now. Nobody is grinding winches, setting Spinnakers, jibs.

They all wear Helmuts. But they aren't losing their fingers tailing off winches. pushing buttons
Is this really so bad? They're pushing the envelope with all this tech, but people are still going to race Lasers and boats with traditional working sails.

It's like powerlifting. There are guys who do it in squat suits and bench shirts but eventually you get tired of training with all that and go back to raw lifting.

Feb 10, 2019
I can't find the information to link to, but I think you guys are wrong about "nobody is grinding". I'm pretty sure there are 8 grinders on each boat and they are grinding constantly into a hydraulic accumulator (pressure vessel that builds up hydraulic pressure). And then everything above the waterline is actuated using hydraulic cylinders that use this pressure. Also I think the control systems are very limited - they can only be digital logic and every action has to be initiated by the crew. So adjusting the foils or the sails is controlled by people. The digital logic translates a single button press or lever adjustment into the appropriate hydraulic valves opening and closing.

Everything below the waterline (The foils and rudder) are actuated with battery power though

Reactions: PRCD