Boat fire Santa Cruz Island

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
The news reports say that the boat met all safety regs. I saw a sketch of the layout and it showed that there were 2 exits, but both went through the galley.
On a boat that size, with so many beds below, it is hard to understand why safety regs don't require an emergency exit near the bow of the boat as well.
Maybe this tragedy will lead to an update in marine safety regs for commercial vessels carrying so many passengers.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
There are a couple emergency hatches in the ceiling of the bunk area, but again, they also lead into the galley.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
More names released

My wife works with a respiratory therapist that was friends with that family.

In my youth I spent a lot of time on boats/yachts. One year I saw one go up via a propane explosion. Two people died. Made a big impression. I generally grab a berth in the bow because most boats have a hatch up there was well. I have no idea whether this was the case. The bow has more motion, more noise, but I like that proximity to a hatch. The galley, where everything runs on propane, is generally further back. And again, I don't know whether it was a propane leak. It's probably morbid, but I hope most of them died of smoke inhalation. To lose a family of five... words fail me.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My wife works with a respiratory therapist that was friends with that family.

In my youth I spent a lot of time on boats/yachts. One year I saw one go up via a propane explosion. Two people died. Made a big impression. I generally grab a berth in the bow because most boats have a hatch up there was well. I have no idea whether this was the case. The bow has more motion, more noise, but I like that proximity to a hatch. The galley, where everything runs on propane, is generally further back. And again, I don't know whether it was a propane leak. It's probably morbid, but I hope most of them died of smoke inhalation. To lose a family of five... words fail me.
I always identify the location of the hatch and keep a flashlight right next to me on the bed when I sleep . Call me paranoid but this crap freaks me out

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
Just unthinkable what they went through.

RIP and prayers for their families :cry:
The passings impact people exponentially due to all the families involved. Been said before , crew on top & all passengers trapped on bottom. So insane only the crew survived . Can't even imagine how they feel.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I always identify the location of the hatch and keep a flashlight right next to me on the bed when I sleep . Call me paranoid but this crap freaks me out
I’ve spent a lot of time on boats.

I always sleep on the deck.

If the captain doesn’t allow it I don’t do overnight trips with them.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Sleeping in a state room, w the rocking of the ocean makes me sleep like a baby.

I did a few overnight trips in grad school, might have been on this boat or at least its sister boats. Never even thought about the possibility of something like this. I'm not sure how no crew was doing overnight watch. I'm pretty sure every boat has someone up in case the anchor drags and they run aground. How did they not wake everyone up?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah sleeping on a boat is killer. Ugh bad choice of words, but yeah slept like a baby on the over nighters I’ve done. RIP to those poor people.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
The passings impact people exponentially due to all the families involved. Been said before , crew on top & all passengers trapped on bottom. So insane only the crew survived . Can't even imagine how they feel.
My girlfriend is close friends with one of the dive guides on the boat. She seems really messed up over it and it sounds like a lot of people have placed blame on them. Supposedly every safety rule was followed and they made every possible attempt to rescue the guests.

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
damn you're worse than me. I've only done that once when it was too hot below and I sort of panicked
It has nothing to do with claustrophobia and everything to do with personal safety. Like I said, I’ve spent a lot of time on boats and when sh!t goes sideways down below is almost always the absolute worst place to be.

Plus, I like to sleep outside.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
It has nothing to do with claustrophobia and everything to do with personal safety. Like I said, I’ve spent a lot of time on boats and when sh!t goes sideways down below is almost always the absolute worst place to be.

Plus, I like to sleep outside.

I've slept on the deck down at Guadalupe a few times, but man...This accident really hit home.
There's been a few times where I've been woken up in the middle of the night by the crew running around on deck, and I always think the worst. I do NOT want to swim from boat to shore down there at ANY time of day.

I bet there's more than a few of us that will want to sleep on the deck this year. :cry:

skullver

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 28, 2010
the tube
My girlfriend is close friends with one of the dive guides on the boat. She seems really messed up over it and it sounds like a lot of people have placed blame on them. Supposedly every safety rule was followed and they made every possible attempt to rescue the guests.
I'd recomend to her staying off of the internet, which is full of experts looking to place blame and poke thier proverbial pitchforks at. The initial mayday was likely a very brave act. You can't expect someone to run through a wall of flames and smoke with the outcome being, you die as well. This is horrible. I am deepley saddened for all those lost, and all those that survived.