Boat fire Santa Cruz Island

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Damn, sounds bad. Isn’t compressed oxygen and fire a bad combo?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Watcha think happened?
Crew and captain are up top, galley is in the middle (see pic), the passengers sleep down below, forward of the engines below the galley, compressors etc. I worry this wouldn't be much unlike the way people were trapped in the Whitesnake nightclub incident, with exits only aft of the bunks towards the engines. That's the dive boat configuration I've been on almost 100% of the time. I hope people were able to jump off and fog is a major factor in the search. Confirmed deaths are starting to trickle in. Terrible news.

Yeah, a homeless guy stole it in the 00s, sunk at least one boat, and made it all the way to VAFB, and ran it aground before getting caught on dry land at the base.

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
Crew and captain are up top, galley is in the middle (see pic), the passengers sleep down below, forward of the engines below the galley, compressors etc. I worry this wouldn't be much unlike the way people were trapped in the Whitesnake nightclub incident, with exits only aft of the bunks towards the engines. That's the dive boat configuration I've been on almost 100% of the time. I hope people were able to jump off and fog is a major factor in the search. Confirmed deaths are starting to trickle in. Terrible news.

Yeah, a homeless guy stole it in the 00s, sunk at least one boat, and made it all the way to VAFB, and ran it aground before getting caught on dry land at the base.
Damn....

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I know that boat. I have been out many times on Sea Landing boat trips to the islands.

My heart is broken, and I am terrified that when the list of victims comes out I might know somebody.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The sleeping quarters were super tight. Had to have been complete chaos and if the fire was up above you'd have to go through the flames. I've seen a couple of boat fires and the smoke and fumes when a boat goes up are horrendous. Still surprised that nobody got out from down below.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Horrific. I have very fond memories of trips on that boat from back in the day... so sad to see this news.