Boat fire Santa Cruz Island

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
It has nothing to do with claustrophobia and everything to do with personal safety. Like I said, I’ve spent a lot of time on boats and when sh!t goes sideways down below is almost always the absolute worst place to be.

Plus, I like to sleep outside.
I did a lot a sailboat cruising back in the day, and I never thought about this. I sure will in the future.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I did a lot a sailboat cruising back in the day, and I never thought about this. I sure will in the future.
It’s a little safer down below in most sailboat setups. Also, sleeping on deck on a sailboat while underway is not a good idea, for a whole host of reasons.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
It gets old when you are waking up wet. Especially if it's cold. On a warm night with the stars out and no light pollution, it's pretty cool. But if you're out there for weeks at a time, your going to wind up sleeping below. Especially while underway. I'm a horrible insomniac so if there's an anchor watch, I'm probably it. Last time I went out the guy I was with anchored a little close to a cliff for my taste. Plus I knew what the tide was doing and what the bottom was like. Sure enough, at 3;00 AM I had to wake everyone up to start the motor, pull the anchor and drop a single hook further outside where I wanted to be in the first place.

I haven't been reading much of the coverage yet, but is anyone saying the word "propane" re this incident? That would explain the fast spread, but it would have been more along the lines of an explosion I believe. Which neighboring boats would have heard?

Life is fragile. As a kid I remember watching those old WW2 movies where guys in submarines/sinking ships are caught below behind sealed doors and are breathing their last as the water fills the compartment. Personal phobia. And from a cattle boat operators standpoint, you really couldn't have 40 people laid out on the deck of the boat, with all their sh!t, sleeping. If you had to move, that would be a nightmare. An absolute mess.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The censorship of the word s h I t with "shoot" is stupid. Come on. I can understand some other words but that one?

Is village idiot and GIG still censored?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
lol. Chucky webster bear is still on the naughty list. "That guy" is a little ham handed. Should go with "asshole" or "pain in the ass" or something. I mean come on. A little creativity here.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Exactly, wet, cold sailing blows. Wind stearing vanes are bliss if it's sh&tty and you want to make headway and be dry/warm. If it's sh5tty, I always connected the auto-tiller and go down below and take sights. I've actually done short naps crossing the shipping lane and channel motorsailing back home.

Propane gas also sinks. If there's a leak in the stove, it goes straight into to the bilge. It's pretty much standard procedure to install a propane tank in an airtight area, install a kill switch, and (for me) also turn the tank valve off after every use. An auto-bilge spark and a bilge full of propane can be no bueno. Re this news, it's all speculation now, 100%. Nobody knows what started the fire and if they do it's not on the internets.
Skullver was also spot on.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Speculation (from a crew member) is that it may have been a cell phone charging that started it.

Again, speculation.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
It gets old when you are waking up wet. Especially if it's cold. On a warm night with the stars out and no light pollution, it's pretty cool. But if you're out there for weeks at a time, your going to wind up sleeping below. Especially while underway. I'm a horrible insomniac so if there's an anchor watch, I'm probably it. Last time I went out the guy I was with anchored a little close to a cliff for my taste. Plus I knew what the tide was doing and what the bottom was like. Sure enough, at 3;00 AM I had to wake everyone up to start the motor, pull the anchor and drop a single hook further outside where I wanted to be in the first place.

I haven't been reading much of the coverage yet, but is anyone saying the word "propane" re this incident? That would explain the fast spread, but it would have been more along the lines of an explosion I believe. Which neighboring boats would have heard?

Life is fragile. As a kid I remember watching those old WW2 movies where guys in submarines/sinking ships are caught below behind sealed doors and are breathing their last as the water fills the compartment. Personal phobia. And from a cattle boat operators standpoint, you really couldn't have 40 people laid out on the deck of the boat, with all their sheet, sleeping. If you had to move, that would be a nightmare. An absolute mess.

Oh yeah, I wasn't planning on sleeping on deck. Too much trouble with that. Just making sure that my berth was equipped with an easy exit route in the event of calamity.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Grim, but a grotesque pshop, don't think it possible to make it to that point given the volume of fire from the get go. My .02
It is from SB fire department and photo which all news outlet posting and sharing

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
IMO, that's probably some pieces of wood or metal jutting up.

I refuse the believe that the Fire Dept. would take that pic and not attempt to rescue someone waving from the back of the boat.

Read this on edhat. Not sure how true it all is though.....

"It was confirmed there was no type of accelerant on the boat as everything is electric. "

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
i too, refuse to believe that a person,
surrounded by flames, is gonna wave at some fire~fighters as they then burn to death.

But hey, what do i know,
'cept that, early '70's, my Families VW mini~station-wagon,
once caught on fire durin' the night as we came back from thee San Diego Zoo. And if not for some quick thinkin',
i, my lil' brother+2 lil' sisters too, coulda been crispt~ed. Thankz to thee anonomoo stranger that pulled over
and put the fire out as we lil' kids watched our car on fire l8 at night...

Up above?
That ain't no man,
nor woman wavin' at anyone...