Boardshort Recommendations

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I used to love O'Neill Superfreaks.

O'Neill fucked up the cut and manufacturing - they now have inner leg seams and a four-way crotch seam instead of one saddle seam and seams on the outsides of the legs, and they don't stretch or fit right anymore.

Where do I go from here?

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
The previous generation (shorter and one solid color) Hurley phantoms that are like $125. All welded seams. No stitching. You can get for around $40 new old stock on eBay.

Properly sized birdwells.

Patagonia stretch or the minimalist wavefarers. Their stretch ones are long for my liking but the material is bomb proof.

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012

Mods please give all these posters the beat down they have coming. The erbb is not Joto Beach.

:cussing: :fight:

This should burn their eyeballs...

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
ifallalot said:
How are real Katins? Similar to Birdwells?
I like them, they fit good and dry very fast
although I've never tried birdwellS

The there's no way I'm spending over $100, make that $80
this chit is way out of hand

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I had a pair of Katins last me around 9 years of constant use. They finally disintegrated on a surf trip in Australia. The replacement Rusty boardies I bought there started breaking in weeks.

rspowers

Nep status
Feb 23, 2005
wilmington nc
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:

O'Neill fucked up the cut and manufacturing - they now have inner leg seams and a four-way crotch seam instead of one saddle seam and seams on the outsides of the legs, and they don't stretch or fit right anymore.

Where do I go from here?
well you are not getting any serious posts but here is my recommendation -

Find a pair of boardshorts that have a string that goes around the entire waist so that you can pull them tight. For some reason most surfing boardshorts just have a string in the front causing them to be more prone to fall off/slide down with a lot of force. Go to walmart and get a cheap pair of no names that will probably work better and are made at the same china factories. I think surf companies boardshorts are not really made for surfing.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
rspowers said:
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:

Where do I go from here?
well you are not getting any serious posts but here is my recommendation -

Find a pair of boardshorts that have a string that goes around the entire waist so that you can pull them tight. For some reason most surfing boardshorts just have a string in the front causing them to be more prone to fall off/slide down with a lot of force. Go to walmart and get a cheap pair of no names that will probably work better and are made at the same china factories. I think surf companies boardshorts are not really made for surfing.

No offense but IMO there's a multitude of reasons not to go with the above recommendation, one of the biggest being any serious bail/toss/salt water enema drop in "swim trunks" stands a chance of completely ripping through the materials most are made of even when brand new. Boardshort materials will usually do no such thing, at least until a few years of serious use. Not to mention they're super clingy when wet, etc etc.

I've spent alot of time in the tropics and I've found two things that are most important:

1) WTF is with the 4 way seams on nearly every pair of shorts now? Sounds like you already know your balls are gonna are gonna be at risk for serious chafing once you're in boardshorts if you have a 2 way seam instead of a one way seam through the crotch. It will probably take picking through a few racks before you find some of these,
2) Length. The so-called hipster length boardshorts are much more functional than that below the knee crap that was being pushed early-mid 2000s. Nothing worse than getting your knees caught on fabric standing up. You should be looking for 19 inch length or less.

Hurley and Vissla makes consistently good stuff IMO, problem is the past few year's Hurley collection is about the loudest, ugliest crap on the face of the planet. The more basic the cut, the better, so I would probably check out Patagonia as well.

Whatever the case, I have no shame in going to 20 different shops, or even the outlet mall :barf: finding the right seam and fit. Nothing worse than settling and then getting in the water to find out how bad they suck...and thus having to buy another pair of shorts.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Since you mentioned the super freak I'm guessing you like stretch. Consider these shorts. The color is crazy but this is the best surfing short I've worn. Hurley phantom fuse.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151731425627

emissions

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 8, 2004
NS
I have yet to find a boardshort that doesn't have me walking bow-legged back to my car after a two session day.

Wait ... that didn't come out right.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
emissions said:
I have yet to find a boardshort that doesn't have me walking bow-legged back to my car after a two session day.

Damn, that coming from somebody from HI doesn't give me much hope that I'll ever find shorts light enough on my wetsuit-pampered legs when I travel.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I ordered a pair of Patagonia Stretch Wavefarers. If they're awesome, I'll buy more. If not, I'll try the Hurleys.

Unfortunately, I don't live in San Diego anymore, where I have my choice of 600 surf shops within a ten minute drive. Our options in Sonoma are more limited to whatever Northern Lights or Bodega Surf Shack has in stock, and I don't want to drive an hour plus roundtrip just to buy boardies. Hence why I usually order Superfreaks online.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
emissions said:

Nope - and rash guards under your boardshorts are worth their weight in gold - especially if on a surf trip to a tropical location.