Boards for bigger surfers vs smaller surfers

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hey Greg,

Let's take that board you did for retodd with the inverted vee between the fins. As I understand, you see this as a much more efficient solution than a concave and I can see your point on that.

Would there be any benefit to extending that inverted vee forward so that it goes all the way under the front foot like a single concave would? Any positives or negatives to that set-up?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
When I saw that epic carve pic of Tai (pretty much every pic that gets put out of him for that matter) I was thinking it would be cool to have events where there is weight classes like boxing. Tai would be a contender in the heavyweights!

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
that sounds like nonsense freeride! I am not sure if surfers are representative of the general population, but according to the Aus govt website, about two thirds of adult Australians are overweight or obese and almost one quarter of 5 to 17 year olds are overweight or obese . Do you have figures to back up your statement or are you just trying to wind people up :roflmao:
I'm as useful as a bag of severed dog dicks when it comes to maths, but I'm pretty sure you cannot apply general statistics to a specific sub cohort. So in freeride's case, I'm pretty sure he's referring to observational data, not national statistics.

Reactions: Maz

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I'm as useful as a bag of severed dog dicks when it comes to maths, but I'm pretty sure you cannot apply general statistics to a specific sub cohort. So in freeride's case, I'm pretty sure he's referring to observational data, not national statistics.
my maths isn't even good enough to know whether your first sentence is true, false, likely or unlikely.

Reactions: waxfoot

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Hey Greg,

Let's take that board you did for retodd with the inverted vee between the fins. As I understand, you see this as a much more efficient solution than a concave and I can see your point on that.

Would there be any benefit to extending that inverted vee forward so that it goes all the way under the front foot like a single concave would? Any positives or negatives to that set-up?
Kazuma's version - your requested much longer version

After describing this bottom to Gavin Hasagawa at T&C in 1985-6 he named it the Inverted Vee - it was put on the price list :)

A favorite bottom in the 70's - my variation of the Brewer concave tail back then

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Kazuma's version - your requested much longer version

After describing this bottom to Gavin Hasagawa at T&C in 1985-6 he named it the Inverted Vee - it was put on the price list :)

A favorite bottom in the 70's - my variation of the Brewer concave tail back then

Very nice, thanks.

Do you see any benefit (or drawbacks) of having it extend forward under the front foot?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Thanks to Meeks and GG (and any other real shapers for offering their insights).

I'm a lightweight like casa, but I prefer a thick tail for weak waves to push against and for planing speed in mush.

I also like turn on rail, so I need big fins to keep the tail to hold, and I wonder if it's b/c my lightweight doesn't keep the rail buried as deep (corky) as someone heavier than me. My favorite fin in a quad/twinzer config (other than in my Jobson twinzer, in which I could ride his 5.25" main fin) is the MR78, which is over 6" deep.

self shape, thick-tail swallow quad:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
No Drawbacks , just creating a different function
shorter one adds release and rocker
Longer - less of both but still planes on the slightly curved sides
Greg, yours is quite different to Kazuma's version. Kazuma's could be described as panel concave.

Yours has 2 convex rounded planes and you progressively flatten that bum crack outwards or "flare" as you say. So you are not trying to channel the water down that bum crack are you? Quite the opposite I think, you want to allow the water to spread outwards towards the tail rail edges more like if it would on a flat bottom. Is that correct?

Also that "natural spread" of water across the surface is what you call "release" isn't it? Most people use release to mean water leaving the rail of a surfboard either on a hard edge leaving cleanly or where it leaves the rounded part of the rail after some wrap - I think you do use the term release in those situations too don't you. However, that is to be distinguished from the "spread" over the plane release which you are talking about here. If I am not understanding your language and you have the patience to explain I am listening.

PS there is another type of release too which some people refer to - when the rear thruster fin "releases" during a tight pivot off the lip. Fin is stalling I believe. Stalling means water is no longer laminar or sticking to the low pressure side of the rear fin, thus roughly half the hold is lost making the tight turn possible.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Release is reducing the pressure behind the plane - or above the plane in Fins- for the water to naturally flow thru - towards
Bottom , Rails and fins

Thats just one of my versions of Inverted Vee - a variation of that 1975 Brewer I posted

When I did "concaves" thru the board they were like Kazuma's where you have a "Wall" to plane on rather than a negative plane "Cup" shaped surface

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J