Boards for bigger surfers vs smaller surfers

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've heard people comment on shaper's boards being geared toward smaller surfers or bigger surfers. Is this a rails thing? A rocker thing? or just BS?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I've heard people comment on shaper's boards being geared toward smaller surfers or bigger surfers. Is this a rails thing? A rocker thing? or just BS?
When peeps talk about their 5'10" this vs their 5'10" that, you know they are "smaller" surfers.
How big is the shaper? Is he Rusty size of Xanadu size?
What guys ride the shapers boards? Are they all puny punks, or are they large hairy men?
These clues will help you decide what size boars the shaper tends towards.

Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
When peeps talk about their 5'10" this vs their 5'10" that, you know they are "smaller" surfers.
How big is the shaper? Is he Rusty size of Xanadu size?
What guys ride the shapers boards? Are they all puny punks, or are they large hairy men?
These clues will help you decide what size boars the shaper tends towards.
I have a 5’10 and three 5’8s

I’m 6’2 - 195.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
It's a scaling thing but still keeping in mind that the board has to fit in the same size waves regardless or riders size. I would say if all else is equal taller surfers should ride shorter equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lohena and sdsrfr

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Taller surfboards should buy shorter boards in relation to their height
ha, you made a bit of a mess phrasing that. Surfboards buying short boards? Did you mean surfboards buying surfers or tall surfers buying boards of length less than their height?

I would say something like this: if we were to look at a selection of elite surfers both men and women. Little surfers tend to ride boards up to several inches taller than them whereas tall surfers tend to ride boards closer to their height. e.g Coco Ho, ht 5' 3" driver 2 HPSB 5' 6 1/2" i.e 3.5 inches longer than her ht. Wade Carmichael 5' 11", Keg model surfboard 6' - just 1" taller than his height.

I think the rest of us should ride whatever we want.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
It's about build in addition to height. Thinner surfer = shorter board than a thicker surfer of similar height would ride.

But beyond that, taller surfers seem more likely to be on boards shorter than their height. Shorter surfers on boards taller than their height. Average height surfers on boards same as their height.

Most good shapers should be able to make boards for anybody.

Reactions: Mr J

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
@GWS_2 has passed on some good knowledge regarding boards for gentlemen surfers vs kiddie size. What I took is that it doesn't scale up on a 1:1 basis, but more exponentially. On average, bigger surfers can hammer down with more force on a carve exponentially than say, a Nole Salsa type character. This is a generalization of the average surfer and I am well aware of Tom Carroll. @20W-50 and blood you want to jump in here?

Reactions: Mr J