Board test for the every day surfer

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
...similar "performance fish" type shape as mine was at the time. His board was 26L and mine 31L.
I wondering how similar. If it's a matter of the finer adjustments, could it be that your board had straighter lines in rocker and rail outline than your mates? Straighter = faster

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I wondering how similar. If it's a matter of the finer adjustments, could it be that your board had straighter lines in rocker and rail outline than your mates? Straighter = faster
I knew this was coming :)

Absolutely, it wasn't a totally "fair" comparison, as all the variables couldn't be taken out of the test, but it was good enough for me. I wasn't testing the finer adjustments, I was testing a fairly drastic drop in volume, and the boards are similar enough, imo. (i.e: quite flat with fishy outlines)

Reactions: estreet

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
He looked excellent on the sharpeye. I recently tried a board with more volume again and had the same experience as in the past - felt tacky. Might be my style but i prefer low volume once I'm up to my feet.

The Sharpeye is on my list now.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Kale's height/weight? Can't be bothered looking it up.

Sharp Eye looked great!
The Sharpeye was pretty much the only high performance shape......or should I say the most high performance shape of any of the other boards he tried. Some of the boards looked too big and wide for what he was trying to do on them. It only made sense to me that a surfer at his ability level would surf best and feel best on the most high performance shape of the bunch.

Also given that the board companies sent him the boards rather than him choosing the board off the rack many of the boards were not sized quite right for him. I have a feeling that had he gone to a shop for example that had that Slater Designs shape in a bunch of sizes to choose from he would have automatically grabbed one smaller in size than what was sent to him.

I think there are going to be a bunch of disappointed board buyers who overestimate their ability level and don't have the ability to ride the Inferno and would be better suited on the Weber (or a Torq ;) ),

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019
The Sharpeye was pretty much the only high performance shape......or should I say the most high performance shape of any of the other boards he tried. Some of the boards looked too big and wide for what he was trying to do on them. It only made sense to me that a surfer at his ability level would surf best and feel best on the most high performance shape of the bunch.

Also given that the board companies sent him the boards rather than him choosing the board off the rack many of the boards were not sized quite right for him. I have a feeling that had he gone to a shop for example that had that Slater Designs shape in a bunch of sizes to choose from he would have automatically grabbed one smaller in size than what was sent to him.

I think there are going to be a bunch of disappointed board buyers who overestimate their ability level and don't have the ability to ride the Inferno and would be better suited on the Weber (or a Torq ;) ),

You dont think the shadow, sub driver and LSD werent in the same category?
It was entertaining. Like Noel Salads sort of thing but with far less detail.
I find it hard to relate to the pool stuff though, and also, the size of these blokes. Blakes what 5'7 tall? Noel 5'5? Little fella category more suited to the kids and women than the average punter.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You dont think the shadow, sub driver and LSD werent in the same category?
It was entertaining. Like Noel Salads sort of thing bit with far less detail.
I findnit hard to relate to the pool stuff though, and also the size of these blokes. Blakes what 5'7 tall? Noel 5'5? Little fella category more suited to the kids and women
As mercilessly as I mad-dog him about his experience at Trestles informing his opinion re surfboards at Honolua Bay, I'm with GromsDad as it pertains to the Mayhem.

IMHO every Sharp Eye basically ever shaped is going to be more HP and more impossible to ride for the overweight guy than basically every Mayhem ever shaped except for the Whiplash. I had an SB-T about 15 years ago and it was the Big Guy Sharp Eye, and definitely a more HP board than the Speed Demon 2 or 3 I had.

I highly doubt the Sub Driver is as top to bottom responsive/quick, and even someone in relatively decent shape, like a swim team guy who isn't a great surfer once up and riding, I bet the Sub Driver gets in earlier and projects down the line considerably more than the Sharp Eye, which even if you're in good shape, if you can't generate speed, I bet you will be going nowhere on it.

Can't speak to Shadow or LSD. Pyzell's rockers sound suited to decent+ surfers in quality surf.

Reactions: Aardwolf
Feb 9, 2019
There is/was a guy on YouTube doing that.
Ive seen a chubby aussie review site, and theres a pommie geezer with a big man type review.
I sort of silently applaud and chuckle at the beergut shred.
No one listems to the UK about anything anymore least of all serfing.
Credit to 'em having a dig.
Freeride had some good analysis on the beachtits website (ghost, protows and sharpeye). Id like him to get some more Maurice Coles, particularly the reverse vee

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I was surprised how well the Sharp Eye went for him. I always thought Sharp Eye was a "shredder brand" like Xanadu. Boards made for good surfers in good waves, not thick midgets in Ugg boots. I'm staying away from Pyzel, that's for sure! Hawaiian dreams being crushed on icy shores :(

Feb 9, 2019
As mercilessly as I mad-dog him about his experience at Trestles informing his opinion re surfboards at Honolua Bay, I'm with GromsDad as it pertains to the Mayhem.

IMHO every Sharp Eye basically ever shaped is going to be more HP and more impossible to ride for the overweight guy than basically every Mayhem ever shaped except for the Whiplash. I had an SB-T about 15 years ago and it was the Big Guy Sharp Eye, and definitely a more HP board than the Speed Demon 2 or 3 I had.

I highly doubt the Sub Driver is as top to bottom responsive/quick, and even someone in relatively decent shape, like a swim team guy who isn't a great surfer once up and riding, I bet the Sub Driver gets in earlier and projects down the line considerably more than the Sharp Eye, which even if you're in good shape, if you can't generate speed, I bet you will be going nowhere on it.

Can't speak to Shadow or LSD. Pyzell's rockers sound suited to decent+ surfers in quality surf.
It comes back to the surf, size and country of the shaper to a degree.
Mayhem with biolos looks like a trestles/standard size type of deal.
Rusty looks like a normal 70's size surfer.
Sharpeyes are Brazzo based? I sort of look at the above mentioned factors and you can see it in stock sizes on the websites. It why I think Patterson/stamps/dhd will never really be on my radar.
Ive sort of clicked with Roberts boards because they are made with American sized dimensions, without being 22" wide and 3" thick, even though im an expat ozzy a bit taller than the average skip

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit