Board suggestions for rolling/mushy waves?

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
Anyone out there on the erBB have suggestions for the type of board/volume I should be looking at if I'm surfing waves that are more rolling than pitching? I went out in TX today to surf some Cristobal swell, beaches were flooded so we had to park on the access road without seeing the waves. Without thinking I grabbed my shortboard. Got out to see the waves were ~6-8' and clean, stocked (or so I thought).

I found that unless I took off practically under the lip as the wave was going to break, it was near impossible to get into them. I'm 5'8" 165lb, the shortboard I was riding was a 5'8", 30L Stamps Flare (which works AMAZING at a place like BSR in Waco). I went back and switched to a more mush--type board (5'8" Neilson Flying Floatey Fish at 34L) and was still having difficulty.

I'm wondering if it's the Indian (living in Central Texas means I'm only in the water 2-3x/month mostly) or the arrow. I've heard great things about the Superbrand Fling, but I feel like it may be a duplicate of my Neilson.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
UF, I often have had this experience surfing in Oregon. A lot of what we get along the central coast of Oregon are good size but rolling waves. Especially with our large tide differences we can start a session in mush and end in pitching beach break. I live about 4 hrs from the coast so my surfing tends to happen in spurts and binges rather than consistently several times a week.

To make some suggestions... tend surf mostly on hybrid shortboards or on grovelers. That said I have a funboard (7 foot) that is an important part of the quiver. They are just so forgiving in mixed conditions. When I'm traveling that far to surf, I wanna make sure to get some waves under the feet. I surf a Bottom Feeder often too which is a ton of fun in mush, but is out of its league in 6-8ft surf. The short length of a groverler is a handicap when trying to chase down waves in a larger lineup. From what little we know about the waves that day, I would have chosen my funboard or a mid-length. Much better for catching waves and for linking up sections.

A little more info about the waves that day would be helpful. Did you find either (or both) of your boards worked once you got to your feet? Or were there flat/dead spots in the waves that were frustrating as well?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Bob Hall?
Today was so good but so damn frustrating.
Friends who went to South Padre said it was great.
I could have used more litres today for sure.

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
Bob Hall?
Today was so good but so damn frustrating.
Friends who went to South Padre said it was great.
I could have used more litres today for sure.
I was at Packery. Saw some pictures from this afternoon at Bob Hall (2-3PM) and it was hollow. Maybe showing up at daybreak was the wrong call due to high tide?

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Yea, It was big and slow and by 12 I was gassed , heard the inside lit up more later on
Had to drive back north unfortunately.

Reactions: UFsurfer

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Packery looked stupid fun this afternoon

I really liked that chemistry D3

Saw a lot of Flings this weekend, no joke probably 10

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
Packery looked stupid fun this afternoon

I really liked that chemistry D3

Saw a lot of Flings this weekend, no joke probably 10
Yeah I'm thinking I may pick one up at some point. I'm kicking myself now for not staying longer, but I had to make the trek home to SA, and it started to get hotter than hell around noon.

Aug 22, 2008
Ok, quick one here, I grew up surfing east coast, moved to socal for 5yrs (surfed alot) moved back to east coast and have gradually gotten worse largely from having 2 young kids. I find number 1 thing is rocker. When I got back from CA I had all these awesome hand shaped chillis that just hated the flat waves. Totally rebuilt the quiver so now even my "step-ups" are basically round tail grovelers. (I might order a monstabox round to ride in 2ft overhead to OH.5 for example) Currently I have a bottom feeder, round nose fish redux, and blackbox3 that are all "grovelers" depending on situation and then 2 grider x's (one round, one squash) and eventually a lost roundup for big winter surf that I got used. For what was described I wld ride RNF -- gets in easy but still very rippable -- its kind of my go to for decent size and super mushy. Bottom feeder I love still after 5+yrs but its a bit too much of a disk for 6-8ft rollers for me. I ride the Black Box when the waves are basically going off by east coast poinnt break standards. Also on a really mushy wave u kinda want to coast in early at or behind the peak and not be under the lip bc there is not alot of "time" available under the lip due to the lack of real lip (it just crumbles and can kind of grab your board compared to a hollower wave that will allow you to sneak in and get a s_ load of speed)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Look for some width under the chest/front foot area. I ride similar conditions and my first choices are a Twin keel fish, or some mini-sim hybrid with a more parallel rail outline (love my Hydrodynamica GMM2 and Mandala Superchunk). I like the Tomo Evo in sloppier waves too but it works for me in anything.
I also suggest a stringerless build with some flex to add some springiness.
Fling has a vocal fanatic legion on here, but I've yet to try one.
The Lost/MR Cali twin looks like it would be fun in those waves too.

Reactions: trifish

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I used to love my Bottom Feeder in bigger, mushier waves. Remember a couple of sessions with a solid 4-6' swell and high tide where it just killed it. Fling is similar and what I'd buy now for those sort of waves.

That said, I've kind of given up on grovelers for the moment and would ride my 7'0 Howard Mini-ish mid length in those sort of waves now. Also very fun, different approach.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
for white plains and sand tracks two of the shtiest sideshore no power breaks on oahu.
Board one has been a miracle worker for over a decade ny first GG custom. As you can see from the recent bluetarp shaping photo the board's still in great shape(tribute to the glassing). The second, a GG felix tail still needs to prove itself to me but that's my fault more than the board's

Dan and crew surfing the lazy surf of limu land by silva store before 8AM when the sideshores pickup

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

before pickup
2489-oneula2.jpg

2488-oneula1.jpg

Decade+ later
20130316_203700367_iOS.jpg

Felix Tail (for GG it's cyril's I have 2 now)
unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Last edited: