Board suggestions for rolling/mushy waves?

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
WTF is similar to Fling with the super wide nose. Probably has even better low end but still has some of the same downsides in choppy beachbreak. A squash tail FX might be more similar to PJ.

Haven't tried a GBuzz but there's a guy here who surfs the regular Superbuzz pretty well in all sorts of conditions.
Ah yes I meant the FX....... I think the earlier SupperBuzzards were closer to G. I had a prototype that graveled quite well yet sometimes has issues with winds, N winds blowing offshore/side into thin lipped slopley lefts. But whatda gonna do.... good case for heavy glassed self shaped retro quad fish I shaped for this spot and never fails.

Reactions: Aruka

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I think you can still get one custom through Lost or XTR.
Bfeedr.JPG
Thanks and there it is! Just gotta got WAY back to page 1 :ROFLMAO:

I was told customs are around 3 months right now but since I got lightspeed it may be sooner cause of the tech.
WaWaWhat! Email I got inquiring via 3D board builder web app thingamajig!

Lost.JPG

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
so stamps wtf isn't that great of a groveler? fx is better? why so?
no I think WTF is a better groveler in that it will surge smaller waves than FX but then when the waves are choppy or steep it is a bit harder to control than something with a little narrower planeshape like FX/PJ/etc.

Reactions: Havoc

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ah yes I meant the FX....... I think the earlier SupperBuzzards were closer to G. I had a prototype that graveled quite well yet sometimes has issues with winds, N winds blowing offshore/side into thin lipped slopley lefts. But whatda gonna do.... good case for heavy glassed self shaped retro quad fish I shaped for this spot and never fails.
Superbuzz can be geared towards low end but gbuzz has easy rocker less curve more full rails etc ready to grovel. I find CFT medium works pretty good in windy conditions (Gaviota coast) also found more rail better then short stubby.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Superbuzz can be geared towards low end but gbuzz has easy rocker less curve more full rails etc ready to grovel. I find CFT medium works pretty good in windy conditions (Gaviota coast) also found more rail better then short stubby.
Any thoughts on over foamed? Say 3 or so liters up from what I think I prefer. Have had my eye on a used one for a year now. 5'8" GBuzzard CFT 37cL Looks a little chunky with skate deck.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
It’s so good. Gonna have sbd try it next week to make sure the magic is not just in my head.
Definitely not in your head. I'm starting to strongly think that no other board has worked this well for me ever as a DD down here for most typical days. My Xanadu keel is super versatile and falls into that category some also but the Akila lets you turn like a shortboard while carrying speed and glide like a fish. I'm super tempted to order a backup just incase I damage this one.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Definitely not in your head. I'm starting to strongly think that no other board has worked this well for me ever as a DD down here for most typical days. My Xanadu keel is super versatile and falls into that category some also but the Akila lets you turn like a shortboard while carrying speed and glide like a fish. I'm super tempted to order a backup just incase I damage this one.
I have looked high and low for contemporary fish based on your guy's recommendation. In the end, I got CC lane splitter, which has been going very well for a DD. I had been surfing an Album Plasmic for my DD, and enjoyed the skateyness of the board. These two boards are not really an apples to apples comparison. The Lane Splitter has been fun and very versatile. The fins seem relatively farther forward. You can surf the board more forward and smoothly glide rail to rail. Not sure if it is the fin position, tail, or volume placement. Then when you get your feet back, it lights up for pushing it. It is the first board that works well when your positioning is either forward and rearward. The Plasmic definitely prefers a more rearward position for it to work well, and has more hold on the wave. In looking for reviews on the Lane Splitter there wasn't much. Ironically the CC FCS fins video discussed the Lane Splitter in the most detail. It was a bit gamble, did have a nice email conversation with a shop in Oz. Two days after I bought the board, Craig posted his first youtube review on the lane splitter and solidified my purchase. Not sure I would recommend this to excel in mushy waves, as the Plasmic works well for these conditions, but for a DD I enjoy the Lane Splitter and has stopped (at least temporarily) my search for the contemporary fish ;)!

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Any thoughts on over foamed? Say 3 or so liters up from what I think I prefer. Have had my eye on a used one for a year now. 5'8" GBuzzard CFT 37cL Looks a little chunky with skate deck.
That’s a tough call, amigo. Depends how sensitive you are to float, especially on a shorter board. I find that bumping up 2 to 3 cL on the same length shorter board can feel really weird. Sk8 deck is another adjustment to consider but after two sessions I‘m really digging it. Do you have an idea how much volume your DIY fish is around?

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I love it but exactly what I wanted to grovel and turns out still works great when kinda mushy or soft on outside reef hh+ and racey inside. Sk8 deck on dd or hpsb etc you take .25" off normal dims for rails so normal deck I ride 2. 375" and sk8 I go 2.18". If you look at my superbuzz 5'2" 19.5" 2 375" 27.(?) Liters thumbtail normal deck geared for waist to oh+ compared to my grovel gbuzz 5'2" 20.25" 2.375" 34.(?) Liters diamond tail sk8 deck.
5'8" 170# 51 years old

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Here's a new video for the Flaming Pony. It's me last week in completely gutless burgers. I am getting over a hip injury and this was my first day back after about 2 months. There is pretty much minimal input from me as far as speed generation goes, I'm putting about 50% the effort that I could, basically the board is just doing its thing. Right, right, left.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Here's a new video for the Flaming Pony. It's me last week in completely gutless burgers. I am getting over a hip injury and this was my first day back after about 2 months. There is pretty much minimal input from me as far as speed generation goes, I'm putting about 50% the effort that I could, basically the board is just doing its thing. Right, right, left.

what level do u consider urself for surfing?