Board suggestions for rolling/mushy waves?

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I agree with the twin keel fish. It's my favorite board in the quiver because of it's versatility in a variety of surf and is easy to transport. Lately I've really been digging my Aipa Sting, with it's low rocker, wide middle point and thin rails, I can catch most anything I paddle for and still have the ability to turn on a dime and not lose momentum. I'm currently riding it as a quad with NVS large fins.AipaSting.JPGAipaSting1.JPG

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I agree with the twin keel fish. It's my favorite board in the quiver because of it's versatility in a variety of surf and is easy to transport. Lately I've really been digging my Aipa Sting, with it's low rocker, wide middle point and thin rails, I can catch most anything I paddle for and still have the ability to turn on a dime and not lose momentum. I'm currently riding it as a quad with NVS large fins.View attachment 108948View attachment 108949
+1
No Aipa but I recently scored a Stretch 2 win 6'9" x20" x2.5" foiled rails pintail for mushy on outsize racy inside reef or any thing beach break and I am loving it like a Cadiliac of a board with great steering and plenty of speed. The twin speed gives you plenty of momentum while the longer rails and pin tail grips the face for nice speed glide with out double pump.

Reactions: SrPato

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
for white plains and sand tracks two of the shtiest sideshore no power breaks on oahu.
Board one has been a miracle worker for over a decade ny first GG custom. As you can see from the recent bluetarp shaping photo the board's still in great shape(tribute to the glassing). The second, a GG felix tail still needs to prove itself to me but that's my fault more than the board's

Dan and crew surfing the lazy surf of limu land by silva store before 8AM when the sideshores pickup

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

before pickup
View attachment 92575

View attachment 92576

Decade+ later
View attachment 92577

Felix Tail (for GG it's cyril's I have 2 now)
View attachment 92579 View attachment 92578
I'm wondering what the middle trailer fin does, besides add drag.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Where can you even get a Bottom Feeder these days? Almost scored one in great condition in my dims on CL, but went instantly. I guess custom, Might have it for Summer 2022. :ROFLMAO:

Fling is fun. Sold mine after winter thou. Ended up being a little under volumed. Super wide nose was a little weird with offshore side shore wind in real grovel conditions, which is what we get at one the spring\summer spots I surf. Had better luck with PJ.

What about Stamps groveler. I think its the WTF? With all the Stamps devotes here it never comes up in gravel threads?

Would also like to try a Stretch GBuzz.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Where can you even get a Bottom Feeder these days? Almost scored one in great condition in my dims on CL, but went instantly. I guess custom, Might have it for Summer 2022. :ROFLMAO:

Fling is fun. Sold mine after winter thou. Ended up being a little under volumed. Super wide nose was a little weird with offshore side shore wind in real grovel conditions, which is what we get at one the spring\summer spots I surf. Had better luck with PJ.

What about Stamps groveler. I think its the WTF? With all the Stamps devotes here it never comes up in gravel threads?

I think you can still get one custom through Lost or XTR. That was my go to groveler for years but now I'm on the Manta train. I still have my BF but it's pretty beat. I feel like they are pretty similar, the bottom feeder fit in pockety small waves better but they both top out pretty quickly in any sort of decently shaped wave IMO. If I was going the custom BF route I think I'd want to try it in a an alt construction (parallel carbon or lightspeed) for some xtra spice.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Goes great backside and frontside, takes a session or two to get used to it for me as the deck is not flat which felt weird to me at first but not a problem now.
huh. Thought you were talking about some secret Rusty model. never heard of RS. tried to click the link from the review. Doesn't look like their website is still active...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Also had better luck with PJ vs Fling for same reasons.

WTF is similar to Fling with the super wide nose. Probably has even better low end but still has some of the same downsides in choppy beachbreak. A squash tail FX might be more similar to PJ.

Haven't tried a GBuzz but there's a guy here who surfs the regular Superbuzz pretty well in all sorts of conditions.

JS makes some good grovelers. Psycho Nitro is great and doesn't give up much low end to something like PJ or Fling while being a bit more shreddy and fun in decent surf. I think the Flaming Pony looks pretty good too and I'd be tempted if the stock dims weren't so chonky.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Gbuzz is super fun with quad set of FU#3 (Stretch controllers) and has range fron '2 slop to hh+ :shaka::shaka:
5'8" 170#
Gbuzz 5'2" x20.25" x2 .375" diamond tail sk8 deck CFT medium FU #3 quad set

Reactions: smithgrind