Board for Punchy Beachies

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
G'day guys,

I'm currently looking for a board that would suit hollow punchy beachies which I have been surfing recently. It doesn't necessarily have to suit bigger waves anywhere between waist to slightly overhead (Aus 3-5 ft). want something that paddles really well so I can sit out a bit further when it's crowded and get in early, make critical drops and maximise tube time. If it can allow me to get some nice hacks in as well all the better.

I have plenty of boards for fatter days and smaller/weaker conditions and grovelling.

Currently I'm thinking:
Lost Round Up (2" and 3 ltrs more than my DD)
Lost Tube Pig
JS Monsta 6 (1 size larger)
jS FMN
DHD DX1
Hypto Krypto

Any recommendations or feedback on the above?

Cheers

emtee

Nep status
Nov 28, 2015
flat
why are u not looking at JS Air 17 out of curiosity? I have one with WCT futures that goes very very well in BB, it has enough nose rocker plus foam under chest to make it take steep BB drops and still paddle thru choppy shiii

pssbrah

OTF status
Mar 9, 2017
The options are endless no way we can help you. Do you like single or single to double?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
FMN is wasted on waist to slightly overhead size. It's definitely more suited to overhead+++. Not that it can't be ridden in punchy waist high waves but the M6 would be a better choice for most people.

Same deal with the Tube Pig. Way more suited to large, heavy surf.

Round Up probably going to be one of the better wave catchers of the bunch.

DX1 gets in alright but it's not especially great at catching waves.

Hypto seems out of place on your list but could be okay for what you want. Haven't ridden one so not sure how great they actually get into waves and ride the barrel.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
emtee said:
why are u not looking at JS Air 17 out of curiosity? I have one with WCT futures that goes very very well in BB, it has enough nose rocker plus foam under chest to make it take steep BB drops and still paddle thru choppy shiii
Haven't heard much about them to be honest. They're definetly an option I'll take a look at.

I know there's a lot of options, I have been exclusively surfing stubby thrusters for years now so am not really sure what to look for.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
The rock up is a wave catching machine but it's much better for round houses than hacks. I'd assume the round up would do just about as well and probably be a lot more free in the sh range. Tube pig looks like a good option also. The hypto will allow to definitely catch waves in that size and get barreled but it's not a high performance board so you won't be doing any snaps. Everything else on your list is just a regular shortboard that might not work well oversized and definitely won't allow you to sit outside the pack.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I know it's not on your list, but Lost Mini Driver is a good fit IMO. I moved mine on pretty quick, but I liked it in the conditions described.
Just don't go too big, it carries volume.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
And if you're after something different - a bonzer would be a treat.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Everything works in those conditions with the exception of really flat grovelers and too long step ups. Look at what the better surfers are riding and then scale that to your needs and ability. If you are somewhere where there are local shapers hit one up. They probably build the best boards for the conditions.

That said, I've had good success with a Mini Driver on more open face days and a Hypto for barrels. Both ridden fairly short. Hypto has almost magical ability to create a little more time to set up probably due to getting in a half beat earlier. Watched a lot of local guys scoring sick barrels on Hyptos before I bit the bullet and bought one and took the time to figure it out (fins, foot placement). Lost's recent revision of their Driver series would probably work too. Or a Baby Buggy round tail. Or a DHD Sweet Spot 2...really endless options.

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
I used to enjoy riding a Mini Driver in those conditions. Then got a Stretch SuperBuzz and a Pyzel Shortcut - both would be good options.
Currently having a lot of fun on a Twin Keel Fish though :fish:

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Chill Oh One?

Looks nice. A bit more rocker and more foiled than the Rare Bird. Should still get in early but be very good in small to mid sized punchy waves.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Tomay said:
G'day guys,

I'm currently looking for a board that would suit hollow punchy beachies which I have been surfing recently. It doesn't necessarily have to suit bigger waves anywhere between waist to slightly overhead (Aus 3-5 ft). want something that paddles really well so I can sit out a bit further when it's crowded and get in early, make critical drops and maximise tube time. If it can allow me to get some nice hacks in as well all the better.

I have plenty of boards for fatter days and smaller/weaker conditions and grovelling.

Currently I'm thinking:
Lost Round Up (2" and 3 ltrs more than my DD)
Lost Tube Pig
JS Monsta 6 (1 size larger)
jS FMN
DHD DX1
Hypto Krypto

Any recommendations or feedback on the above?

Cheers
Lost Pocket Rocket - mate has one and loves it! Lots of good size options too depending on if you're short and stocky or tall and lanky. Loved my DX1 as well. Pyzel Ghost?

Feb 24, 2012
Hey mate, I've had a few of those boards and would definitely go a Monsta 6. Best all-rounder I've ever had (especially if you more go to shortboards than anything too flat or lo-fi). Air 17 is great too, probably suits beachies more that require quick direction changes and going through flat spots. M6 still great in them though and perfect in any down the line reefs or points.. Mine is 6'0 1/2" x 18 3/4" x 2 5/16" x 27L approx.. and I'm 6'0" / 75kg. Hope that helps!

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I go the opposite way, more nose rocker to negotiate the drop and low tail rocker for drive. The opposite feels too catchy to me on takeoff and then dies when I lean on my back foot.

Everyone is different which is why you can't take board advice from strangers on the internet too seriously...

barnod said:
sd_101 said:
Low entry with tail rocker. That's my preference for beach breaks.
yepp.. high tail rocker to match the abrupt curve of the wedgy lips and stays in the pocket well

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
(i'm 6'2 170, 22 for what its worth.)

overhead+ beach break barrels (double overhead...F beach breaks I'm finding a reef/point) I have a stock 6'0 x 18 5/6 x 2 5/16 DHD sweet spot 2.0 and it works great. Exactly as you mentioned... i never have trouble paddling in on time. It's not my favorite board of all time but it works. I'm not a pro. It does its job and if I go over the falls/mistime a section its likely on me, not the board.

may not be a popular opinion, but in anything waist-overhead and punchy I go small. Obsessed with a 5'9 x 20 x 2 1/2 board from my shaper in EPS. I love eps for airs and I just grew accustomed to the general feel.

Main point here is if it's big and heavy I go with something standard, tried & true. when it's heavy but still fun/playful I go short and light and it's the most fun surfing can offer for me personally. Try it, especially if your surfing has plateaued or is stale.