Board choices for CR/Nica

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Heading down in a couple weeks. Should I pack a shortboard and stepup, double up on the shortboards, or go rogue and pack a glass on twin keel fish along with the HPSB?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Are you looking to pack 2 boards only? If so option 1.

You can also make a last minute decision based on the forecast for a shorter trip.

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Use the forecast to determine boards, if a big swell is in the forecast consider a step up, otherwise bring what you like to ride in good/fun surf up to a foot or so OH
Heading into prime time for Southern Hemisphere swells so you should score

Reactions: JDJ

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Heading down in a couple weeks. Should I pack a shortboard and stepup, double up on the shortboards, or go rogue and pack a glass on twin keel fish along with the HPSB?
Keel fish is a pretty versatile board for conditions and different spots down here .... biggest issue is with the glass on keels - taking up a lot space in the board bag and potential of having them broken. Main reason for a step-up is more about dealing with currents - last couple of swells there's been a lot ....normal conditions your favorite HPSB will suffice.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
good short boar maybe a stap if you looking to hunt some bigger tubes

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Last time I went to CR I brought a short board and step up, but ended up renting a fish more than a few days that were on the smaller side. But I also ride a fish in SD 90% of the time so some of that is personal preference. I would definitely strongly consider a fish next time I go back if the forecast isn't pumping.

Reactions: JDJ

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Last time I went to CR I brought a short board and step up, but ended up renting a fish more than a few days that were on the smaller side. But I also ride a fish in SD 90% of the time so some of that is personal preference. I would definitely strongly consider a fish next time I go back if the forecast isn't pumping.
What ever you ride at home in good surf and daily driver of what ever flavor depending on forcast. I would only bring step up+ for Puerto Viejo during Winter. CR Pacific is like tropical CA :shaka:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
bringing a shortboard and a 6'7" egg i borrowed from my chick. stocked. we're working our way south from guanacaste to pavones for the second round of swell.

is the surfline swell forecast for pavones accurate? it says 4.5@16 should be 5-7', i'm kind of skeptical.

also how dangerous is driving at night in CR?

Last edited:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I've never had problems driving in CR at night, but I've never driven during rainy season, stick to the main roads if possible, watch out for flash floods. Do not leave your boards on the roof of your car unattended. If possible lock them in the car. Make sure you bring them into the hotel compound at night.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
bringing a shortboard and a 6'7" egg i borrowed from my chick. stocked. we're working our way south from guanacaste to pavones for the second round of swell.

is the surfline swell forecast for pavones accurate? it says 4.5@16 should be 5-7', i'm kind of skeptical.

also how dangerous is driving at night in CR?
How does surfline work swell not waves being 4.5@16 should be 5-7'? Does not sound accurate at all but I would never use surfline to forcast surf. 4.5@16 means every 16 seconds a swell not wave passes buoy at 4.5'. A swell does not break until it hits depth half size and now is wave:foreheadslap: