Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Critter's IG is straight fire
got a little bit of boutique hipster vibe
but some of the "models" look dope
Oak has a level of precision tough to achieve
great looking twinzers and twins
I think Alex does some of his glassing (big bonus)

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
There is also Dan Cobley https://www.instagram.com/dancsurf/ who I got a twin from a few months ago. It's the 7th newest post on his IG with dark gray rails/light gray top/bottom with red logos. We took some inspiration from Stacey's Bullet Twin for it and surfs so much like a thruster, I was really surprised.

I recently listed the board on CL, for no other reason than I have a wife mandate that a board needs to be sold before I get a new one and I have an XTR Pyzel Astro Pop in the queue. I also realized after 37 years of surfing that I surf better riding the same board every day and it was a coin flip each day whether to ride the twin or my CI NB2. They're both 5'8 and close to the same liters (28.5), but the NB2 was getting the nod more than the twin, mostly due to it being lighter (Varial) and I can throw it around a little easier.

There are lots of talented shapers in the South Bay: Dennis Jarvis/Spyder, Wayne Okamoto/Oak Foils, Jose Barahona, Andy Prunauer/Proper, Don Kadowaki and Ian Wright/Aftermath. Aside from Dan Cobley, from the others mentioned, I've only got a board from Jose Barahona, which was a great board, but it was a file I had and not too much design input on his part. In the 80's, I used to get boards from Tom Stanton, who I don't think shapes anymore. One of Tom's apprentices, Matt Calvani (Bing Surfboards) and I were/are close friends and I got most of my boards from him from 1995 onwards, much of that time was during his tenure at Becker.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah somehow I was directed their way on IG. Some models speak to me. Prices look pretty good.
I remember Critters being one of those brands that was all over IG with good looking sprays/tints at inexpensive prices a few years ago (reminded me of a non asym-centric Album). I'm more of a purist and appreciate someone that can handshape a board well, having been a shaping room rat since my early teens. I still like watching the craft when I peek in on local builders. While I know someone can design a great riding board on the computer without knowing how to operate a planer, I personally don't appreciate the designs as much.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Whoever @waxurDyl is getting boards from. They look really good.
Agreed, I think the new ones are from Malixi. I don't know much about them though. He also has some of Andy Prunauer's shapes. Let's be real, he has some of everyone's shapes. I think he'll need to build an addition to his garage for all of his boards. I still need to take him up on his offer to let me try one of his Ryan Burch asyms.

Reactions: jkb, retodd and JDJ

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Andy rips as well which I always think is a plus in a shaper. He got a lot of guys around here to try his Cosmo model based on his surfing at Haggerty’s the last several winters.
I have a Cosmo. Number 1 quad grovel board . On top of being an excellent performing craft the glassing is A+. Strong and light

I asked for mine with 6(top layer wraping the rail)+4 deck and 6 bottom cause I never use a leash and wanted a super durable board that could take some beatings

It has zero dents or dings after a solid year of use

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
FVCK! Those Album asym twins look amazing.

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
Ryan Harris who owns Earth Technologies is probably one of the most innovative shapers in the South Bay/So Cal

Reactions: TheEl and oeste858

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Can’t go wrong with Anderson or Oak Foils. Both run a tight ship and make great boards.
I had 1 really bad experience with Anderson. Had him copy a snapped board. It came out nothing like the original. 2 inches longer, 1/8" thicker, and missing double flyer wings.

I said that's not the board, he brought out both halves of the snapped board, saw they were nothing alike, and he said, "that's your board"

Everything I've heard about Barry Snyder has been good. https://www.barrysnyderdesigns.com/surfboards.html